PDA

View Full Version : Washing car with vinegar

learner
14-03-2006, 10:34 PM
In my city the water is very hard and the washing of the car is a little tricky. Can i throw a glass of white vinegar in the bucket with the shampoo or it will damage the paint of the car.

ChrisGT
14-03-2006, 10:37 PM
never heard of vinegar being used i know someone who once panel wiped with petrol have NNOOOOOO idea why tho lol

Brazo
14-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Petrol is a good solvent^^ although not recommended for regular use ;)

No idea on the vinegar front, could work but not sure on long term effects

ChrisGT
14-03-2006, 10:42 PM
ahh right i thought it wud help the cause of clearcoat failure, im guessing its just used to strip off any layers of protection polish, wax, sealent ect ect

Brazo
14-03-2006, 10:54 PM
sorry let me rephrase that not recommeded full stop!!

ChrisGT
14-03-2006, 10:59 PM
LOL thats better

TheRonin
14-03-2006, 11:04 PM
lol vinegar, are you serious? whats the science behind that??????

you would be better off with a ionic filter fitted straight to your tap/hosepipe, they are around £50.

andyollie
14-03-2006, 11:12 PM
In my city the water is very hard and the washing of the car is a little tricky. Can i throw a glass of white vinegar in the bucket with the shampoo or it will damage the paint of the car.

i know supagard have a Acid Rain Nutralising Shampoo...maybe some use

steveo3002
14-03-2006, 11:18 PM
zaino told me to use white vinegar to remove mineral deposits from baked on rain spots
________
R1100RT (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1100RT)

Dave KG
14-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Isn't vinegar highly acidic? (Never really like Chemistry at school, found the Van der Graff generator and laser and radar more interesting!!) So if you want to guard against acid rain, then surely adding acid to your wash water isn't something you'd want to do... Just a thought...

joe-turbo
15-03-2006, 03:48 AM
think i remember reading on another thread that meguiars NXT shampoo is suggested when using hard water.

Avanti
15-03-2006, 08:16 AM

It will not directly damage the paint, but vinegar is acidic enough to remove wax (it is a great glass cleaner) and hence the paint is more exposed to the elements.

AR-CoolC
15-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I think the sugestion was to add vinigar to the water to combat the hard water in his area.

i.e. Hard water is generally lime deposits (alkali) Vinigar is an acid, therefore the two combined would produce a better quality wash water.

IP please correct me if I'm wrong.

p.s. sory about the spelling, it's never been my strong point.

learner
15-03-2006, 08:39 PM
AR-CoolC thats it what i want. To drop some in the bucket with water to neutralize the effect

Avanti
16-03-2006, 02:06 AM
AR-CoolC thats it what i want. To drop some in the bucket with water to neutralize the effect

Then why not use a shampoo that is more acidic than alkali?

learner
16-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Simply to drop the cost if i could. :thumb:

Avanti
16-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Simply to drop the cost if i could. :thumb:

There is no harm (or much) in trying it, I wouldn't myself personally, try some TW big orange wash 1st though ;)

Chris_J
17-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I think that the vinegar is something that will help dissolve/lower the amount of limescale in the hard water.

Anyone remember dissolving the limescale in hydrochloric acid at school.

Avanti
17-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I think that the vinegar is something that will help dissolve/lower the amount of limescale in the hard water.

Anyone remember dissolving the limescale in hydrochloric acid at school.

I do, it was a long time since doing chemistry or school for me, but I do remember that mixing acid and alkali, while it may create a neutral (ish) fluid, didn't mean that the resultant was hassle free.

Modern shampoo's have come a long way, I would stick with the course of a particular shampoo as opposed to adding vinegar.

MickCTR
17-03-2006, 04:06 PM
why not try somethin milder like lemon juice. If you use a small amount you shouldn't have any hassle unless it leaves a sticky residue. I couldn't say any more as i've never tried it :)

andburg
17-03-2006, 04:24 PM
tbh i wouldn't be bothered by hard water, at the end of the day if the car is waxed it'll struggle to stick to your paintwork, and when drying the car a MF will probably pull any lime off.

MickCTR
17-03-2006, 04:29 PM
tbh i wouldn't be bothered by hard water, at the end of the day if the car is waxed it'll struggle to stick to your paintwork, and when drying the car a MF will probably pull any lime off.

This is true. We get quite hard water around here, i once had to dash out before i had chance to dry the car, when i got back there were thick white dots all over it, it took me ages to get them off. :( as long as you wash then dry and the paintwork is well maintained in the first place then you shouldbe ok!