PDA

View Full Version : Gyeon application specifics?

andygold
05-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Spent 8 hours yesterday correcting the Super Black paint on my 2015 Nissan Rogue. Today I am going to coat the vehicle with Mohs and Trim.

Sorry....Lots of questions, but I searched and have not seen them answered elsewhere...

1) I have to do the coating outdoors as the garage is too small to work in, and the lighting is too poor! Hopefully any dust that settles on the paint as I'm coating would NOT be encapsulated beneath the coating. :(
I realize Prep is antistatic, but I don't know if it will keep the dust/pollen away. Any thoughts? Is this actually an issue or not?

2) Temperature is going to be around 55 F (13C) with little to no humidity. How long should I let the Mohs dwell on the paint before removing it? If I were to take it off immediately after finishing my crosshatch pattern, would there still be enough product left on the paint? Or should I let it dwell some period of minutes?

3) If the Mohs gets on some of the textured, unpainted, plastic trim, later when I apply the Q2 Trim, will the spots of Mohs keep the Q2 Trim from evenly darkening the plastic trim? And if so, do you recommend applying the Trim first, before applying the Mohs?

4) My doors have this plastic trim at their bottom edge. The metal part of the door recesses just above the trim, and leaves a 1/8" x 1/8" (3mm x 3mm) groove between the paint and plastic. How best to apply and remove the Mohs in these grooves? And how best to keep it off the plastic? Also, how best to apply/remove inside chrome lettering?

5) How long can you use one of the suede microfiber cloths before the Mohs starts to crystallize and scratch your paint? Can you typically use one suede for lets say one side of the car, or do you need to replace it for every panel? I ask as there will be some down-time where the cloth will be sitting in the air, doing nothing, but curing, while I am buffing off the prior panel. Will the application of more Mohs to the suede at the beginning of the next panel keep the suede soft and good to use, or will it be too late? Just curious about this as I'll need to do at least two coats, a few hours apart.

6) My car care budget is exhausted!!!!! I have the Q2 Mohs and Q2 Trim, Prep and Cure in kit form and that's it. The Mohs is going on the paint and rims, and the Q2 Trim is going on trim, headlights and taillights. Can I use either product on the front windshield/windscreen? Would either one distort the view? Would either one cause the wipers to chatter and/or leave black rubber marks on the glass (like RainX does). Can the wipers even be used, or would the coatings make the wipers seem like they are running over dry glass? Even with RainX, a lot of the time wipers were still needed.

7) If either product is used on the glass, do they give you the same issue at night as RainX does? My experience is that every time you go under a street light with RainX applied, the windscreen would appear to turn white and opaque as the millions of microbubbles would distort/refract the light coming through causing a whiteout. Quite unsafe!

8) Can the Q2 Trim be used on interior plastics? I have some piano black trim on the center console(scratches real easy), and some phony plastic carbon fiber-looking trim inside that I'd like to protect. Once cured is it safe to continually touch (unsure about Nano products and their safety), and once cured, does it smell?

EnvyYou
05-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Hi Andygold, ive put gyeon onto many cars now and always had perfect results so ill give you some tips.

1. It's not ideal to do the coating outside and if you can squeeze into the garage then do this but if not use a separate cloth to lightly dust off each panel before you apply your coating. Also you don't want to have it in direct sunlight. Prep does have these anti static properties but some dust will still settle on the paint. Even happens to me inside a closed garage. Dust would not get stuck underneath the coating as you are buffing it off before it hardens.

2. Usually i buff off 1-2 mins after after i have coated a panel. The bonding takes about 10 seconds to do according to gyeon. My general rulse of thumb is the hotter it is the quicker you want to remove it. I usually fold a cloth into 8 sides and mark a side with a pen after you do a couple of panels. That way you are getting a nice clean buff off. I also use a second cloth to go over after the firdt just to be sure. I mark this also.

3. As far as the mohs on the trim ive never had any issue. If you are worried about it just be extra careful.

4. With point 4 i think you are over thinking just apply where you can and buff off where you can.

5. I usually take about 40 mins to do a costing on a car. I use one suede cloth in this time, when i have done half the car i flip it over. The cloth won't harden in this time. If you are worried just use two of them so you can leave two more for a second coat if need be.

6. Id just wash my car and windows with Gyeon bathe + every wash and you will get great beading on your windows. Each time you wash you will just add more layers.

7. Never used rain x like i said i use bathe + on my glass for thr last uear and i dont even need wipers over 60 km

8. If you are unsure about a coating for the interior try it on a out of sight spot initially and see what happens. I have used it on my interior trims but i dont know what yours look like. And no it doesnt smell.

ilbeyyagci
16-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi Andygold, ive put gyeon onto many cars now and always had perfect results so ill give you some tips.

1. It's not ideal to do the coating outside and if you can squeeze into the garage then do this but if not use a separate cloth to lightly dust off each panel before you apply your coating. Also you don't want to have it in direct sunlight. Prep does have these anti static properties but some dust will still settle on the paint. Even happens to me inside a closed garage. Dust would not get stuck underneath the coating as you are buffing it off before it hardens.

2. Usually i buff off 1-2 mins after after i have coated a panel. The bonding takes about 10 seconds to do according to gyeon. My general rulse of thumb is the hotter it is the quicker you want to remove it. I usually fold a cloth into 8 sides and mark a side with a pen after you do a couple of panels. That way you are getting a nice clean buff off. I also use a second cloth to go over after the firdt just to be sure. I mark this also.

3. As far as the mohs on the trim ive never had any issue. If you are worried about it just be extra careful.

4. With point 4 i think you are over thinking just apply where you can and buff off where you can.

5. I usually take about 40 mins to do a costing on a car. I use one suede cloth in this time, when i have done half the car i flip it over. The cloth won't harden in this time. If you are worried just use two of them so you can leave two more for a second coat if need be.

6. Id just wash my car and windows with Gyeon bathe + every wash and you will get great beading on your windows. Each time you wash you will just add more layers.

7. Never used rain x like i said i use bathe + on my glass for thr last uear and i dont even need wipers over 60 km

8. If you are unsure about a coating for the interior try it on a out of sight spot initially and see what happens. I have used it on my interior trims but i dont know what yours look like. And no it doesnt smell.

Hi EnvyYou, I just bought Q2 Mosh for applying on a brand new VW Passat.

Your answers are very useful but i have another question about using Gyeon Cure.

They say that ''apply Cure after 12-24 hour'' in their website. Can i apply Cure after 2 days ? Or more ? What is the Cure's function ?

Christian6984
16-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Hi EnvyYou, I just bought Q2 Mosh for applying on a brand new VW Passat.

Your answers are very useful but i have another question about using Gyeon Cure.

They say that ''apply Cure after 12-24 hour'' in their website. Can i apply Cure after 2 days ? Or more ? What is the Cure's function ?

heres a link to what it is and how you use it

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gyeon-q2m-cure-cat14.html

ilbeyyagci
17-12-2015, 06:24 AM
heres a link to what it is and how you use it

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gyeon-q2m-cure-cat14.html

Thanks for link but my main question is curing time for Mosh and then Cure application.

Gyeon Jeremy
17-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi Andy,

1. the general remark is - never apply coatings outside of the garage. Just don't.
Coatings require clean to very clean conditions (dust setteling on the surface will ruin the finish), but most of all, stable conditions in terms of temperature and humidity. You'll never get that outside. If your garage is really to small, find a suitable place. I'm not giving you this advice to spoil your plans, but i know the product so well, that i'm sure, you'll be dissapointed in the end.

2. As has been said, you might buff of right after application and usually that's the way to go with Mohs. It really doesn't have to stay on the paint for any longer to bond and work properly.

3. If you apply it on unpainted trim, just wipe it off along with the regular wipe off on the panel. If you do so, no discoloration will remain.

4. EnvyYou gave you the most reasonable answer possible. Mind, that you get also a lot of product transfered over the surface during wipe off.

5. Use approx 2-3 suede applicatior pads for one medium size car. You'll find the pad a bit sticky after 40-50% of the car coated. A new suede will make the application easier and much smoother.

6. Never ever do so. Both Mohs and Trim are not meant to be used on glass. They will have poor durability, weak hydrophoby and leave you smudges every time you'll use windscreen wipers. Glass has a totally different structure than paint or trim.

7. As above. Better wait and but View, it will be probably the best rain repellent you'll find out there.

8. You can use Trim on piano-bits but i'd be far from recommending it on others. If want to try it out, better start with a small test panel.