PDA

View Full Version : Are traditional waxes out of date?

SGraf
17-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Some people were asking me if Wax is old fashion and going out of style?
I believe there will always be a place for High-quality Carnauba wax.

But what do you think?

An example: I had just applied Zymöl Royale to this MB C63 S AMG. Brand new car, old fashion wax?

Are traditional waxes out of date? - YouTube

WHIZZER
17-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Personally I still love using Wax especially in the Summer - I love the glow it gives

Peter77
17-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Love waxing. Nothing better on a Sunday afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camerashy
17-03-2017, 10:23 AM
It will always have a place in my regime, it's enjoyable, stress reducing and leaves a slightly different finish dependant on the wax used.

Welshquattro1
17-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I love waxing and find it therapeutic and relaxing. I also like the different finish it leaves compared to say a coating.

R0B
17-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Wax isnt out of date in my book

bigkahunaburger
19-03-2017, 01:25 PM
With the right wax, waxing is quick, easy and enjoyable.

Coatings are brilliant but waxes arent out of date in my opinion. Even with the most cutting edge, newest waxes to the market, it's hard to find one that is as complete a package as Glasur.

GleemSpray
19-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Theres a place for both. I love a long session cleaning and waxing on a dry day and love the deep warm glow from a wax.

But.. I also find it fascinating to see pace at which synthetic and semi-synthetic products are being developed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mikster
19-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Some people were asking me if Wax is old fashion and going out of style?
I believe there will always be a place for High-quality Carnauba wax.

But what do you think?

An example: I had just applied Zymöl Royale to this MB C63 S AMG. Brand new car, old fashion wax?

Are traditional waxes out of date? - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SFQsRCSL5M)

V8 biturbo. Wish i had one ;).
Love the color and gloss too....:driver:

SGraf
19-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Theres a place for both. I love a long session cleaning and waxing on a dry day and love the deep warm glow from a wax.

But.. I also find it fascinating to see pace at which synthetic and semi-synthetic products are being developed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I share the same point of view as you, there is a place for both and it's fascinating to see the advancement of technology and what is can achieve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soul boy 68
19-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Waxes will never go out of date, been around for generations and will always be , I much prefer waxes anyway.

Demetri
19-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Waxes will never go out of date, been around for generations and will always be , I much prefer waxes anyway.

This - 100% :thumb:

mac1459
19-03-2017, 07:45 PM
can be applied then just drive , no waiting about for a sealant to heal.

MEH4N
19-03-2017, 07:46 PM
In a simple answer No, never.

Alex L
20-03-2017, 08:33 AM
I'm going agaisnt the grain here, but in todays world waxes are old hat.

I work 60 hours a week, have a young family and time is precious. I don't want to waster a whole day once a month waxing a car, just to do it all again because the finish has dropped off.

Dont get me wrong, Atlantique is still the best looking wax I've tried and just adore the fragrance of Concours. But that just doesnt do it for me anymore.

can be applied then just drive , no waiting about for a sealant to heal.

But once a coating is on, thats it. no need to re-apply all the time. just wash and go.

And that doesnt cover all the marr and chemical resistance you get compared to a wax.

sm81
20-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Agree Alex L

wanner69
20-03-2017, 08:56 AM

I work 60 hours a week, have a young family and time is precious. I don't want to waster a whole day once a month waxing a car, just to do it all again because the finish has dropped off.

Dont get me wrong, Atlantique is still the best looking wax I've tried and just adore the fragrance of Concours. But that just doesnt do it for me anymore.

But once a coating is on, thats it. no need to re-apply all the time. just wash and go.

And that doesnt cover all the marr and chemical resistance you get compared to a wax.

Whole day to wax a car?

Alex L
20-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Whole day to wax a car?

Depends on the wax, but for me it would be a case of get up up, sort out the kids. start trying to wash the car, sort out the kids, dry the car. Stop kids arguing. start waxing, then some can be buffed straight away, others need longer.

And then depending on the wax, wait for the oils and solvents to flash off and sort out the smears. then tidy up my mess, then pick up lego, bikes and all the crap that isnt allowed in the garage :lol:

Zymol waxes are quite oil heavy, so even after buffing off require time to flash of and extra buffing. Which iirc can be reduce with a spritz of chilled water.

Pittsy
20-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Traditional waxes are definitely not dead and still have a place, you just cannot get the same depth of finish with a coating type of LSP.

I would say however that more and more we are seeing cross over products coming to the market which are a hybrid of the 2, so for the average punter you are getting the best of both worlds:thumb:

wanner69
20-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Depends on the wax, but for me it would be a case of get up up, sort out the kids. start trying to wash the car, sort out the kids, dry the car. Stop kids arguing. start waxing, then some can be buffed straight away, others need longer.

And then depending on the wax, wait for the oils and solvents to flash off and sort out the smears. then tidy up my mess, then pick up lego, bikes and all the crap that isnt allowed in the garage :lol:

Zymol waxes are quite oil heavy, so even after buffing off require time to flash of and extra buffing. Which iirc can be reduce with a spritz of chilled water.

Well when you explain it like that then yes a busy day for you:D

Alex L
20-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Well when you explain it like that then yes a busy day for you:D

And thats with out them wanting to help :lol:

SGraf
20-03-2017, 09:50 AM

I recon you will love Quadra, it fills that gap between Wax and Coatings (although we like to call Quadra a SuperSealant).

After you have polished a car (which takes hours if done correctly) how many more hours do you need to apply a coating? A lot right?
Plus when applying coatings there is the risk of blotching, etching, rain-bowing and lines from mis-application. What about curing time? What about your health, is it safe to use?

Quadra is fast takes maximum 2 - 2.5 hours to apply 2 coatings on ALL surfaces. Plus an additional hour to be left alone after application. That's a total 3-4 hours (Like me I also have a young family and time is precious).

That is why coatings appeal to me because I love a clean car but don't have time anymore to spend washing and waxing my own car on the weekends.

Quadra safe! No gloves and no breathing masks as its organic (you could drink the stuff (please don't do that..)).

And here is the biggest selling point, just as you said: once the coating is on, thats it! No need to re-apply all the time. Just wash and go. Its SUPER- Hydrophobic.

Shine and gloss... Personally I would say is as good as any High Carnauba Wax.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE waxes, I'm a huge "Nuba" fan, but for me there is a place for both. It depends on how the car is used. Is it a collector car or is it driven regularly.

graham1970
20-03-2017, 10:00 AM
I waxed my summer wheels this weekend.
Had them set up in the greenhouse, so nice and bright. It was amazing to see just how much the synthetic wax added in depth to the silver sparkle Finnish

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk