PDA

View Full Version : what causes excessive road noise from tyres

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:15 PM
As title, if the noise wasn't there before and suddenly your car is making more road noise from the tyres (or what appears to be tyres) what could it be causing it, occasionally it also gets louder & sounds like driving over motorway rumble strips ?

thoughts

richie.guy
24-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Different road surface, different grade of tarmac.

Is it all the time now?

Detail My Ride
24-10-2007, 10:17 PM
The roads surface? It can change every 10ft or so which can make a difference in the noise.

Grizzle
24-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Cheap tyres lol

andyollie
24-10-2007, 10:20 PM
some tyres like dunlops can be noisey and pirelli.

Mattieuk
24-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Here you go mate:)
http://www.michelintransport.com/ple/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=40&lang=EN

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:26 PM
same tyres did not cause noise before hand though

parish
24-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Guys, read the symptoms - "...the noise wasn't there before and suddenly your car is making more road noise...".

Tyre pressure dropped quite low? Tracking/suspension being knocked out of alignment (although you'd know if you'd hit something to cause that)? Trackrod end come loose or rubber suspension/steering bush broken up causing mis-alignment?

Worst case scenario is the tyre is damaged, e.g. delaminating.

I'd be tempted to go to a reputable (i.e. not KwikFit) tyre place and let them take a look. Don't want to mess about with iffy tyres.

GateKiller
24-10-2007, 10:27 PM
It could be a number of things... The two main ones that spring to mind are:

- Flat spot in tyre. This is a section in the tyre which is slightly thinner than the rest. Can result in simply noise and bumpy ride.
- Wheel Bearing is going and needs replacing... A wheel bearing will start to get very loud towards the end of it's life.

It could be the road surface but if you're only just noticing it over familiar roads, then I would rule that out.

There are some check you can do to find out if it's your wheel bearing which will be in your heynes manual.

GK

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Guys, read the symptoms - "...the noise wasn't there before and suddenly your car is making more road noise...".

Tyre pressure dropped quite low? Tracking/suspension being knocked out of alignment (although you'd know if you'd hit something to cause that)? Trackrod end come loose or rubber suspension/steering bush broken up causing mis-alignment?

Worst case scenario is the tyre is damaged, e.g. delaminating.

I'd be tempted to go to a reputable (i.e. not KwikFit) tyre place and let them take a look. Don't want to mess about with iffy tyres.

tyres are brand new conti sport 3's with less than 1k miles on

parish
24-10-2007, 10:31 PM
tyres are brand new conti sport 3's with less than 1k miles on
Hmm, then GateKiller's suggestion of wheel bearing is a likely candidate, although it might be worth checking the tyre place put the tyres on the right side of the car (i.e. direction arrows are the right way).

If they're that new, take the car back to where they were fitted.

Mattieuk
24-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Shaun is this on the ST? If so I'm sure I read in EVO on their ST long term car that when they fitted the larger wheels and tyres road noise increased as the tyres bedded in.

GateKiller
24-10-2007, 10:33 PM
One simply thing to look for is if the wheel weight have fallen off. :)

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:34 PM
they were OK though, but a combination of lowering and brake kit seems to have thrown things a little
i thought it maybe the tracking/ full laser alignment which was the last thing i had done, and they used ford settings but the car has a different offset alloy to what the original ford ST has ?, would this make a difference

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:35 PM

yeh thought about this one, i will check for stick areas tomorrow

Detail My Ride
24-10-2007, 10:35 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tea all over my desk now :o :(

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Shaun is this on the ST? If so I'm sure I read in EVO on their ST long term car that when they fitted the larger wheels and tyres road noise increased as the tyres bedded in.

yeah ? tbh i could live with that noise, only thing that doesn't explain is the momentary louder outburst that's like hitting rumble strips ?

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:37 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tea all over my desk now :o :(

is it that funny ?

Dave KG
24-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I was wondering - has one of them perhaps crept out of balance, eg by loosing a wheel weight? Out of balance tyres can cause a deep rumbling noise, I know one of my tyres did that so would be worth checking.

Detail My Ride
24-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Oops. I read it as "One simple thing to look for is if the wheel has fallen off"

:o

I'll go away now.

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:39 PM
yeh, a quick look didnt find anyhtin amiss, BUT the brake discs are so huge i cant see the back ones

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Oops. I read it as "One simple thing to look for is if the wheel has fallen off"

:o

I'll go away now.

i guessed LOL

lomax
24-10-2007, 10:40 PM
mayve as they are really low profile? or uneven wear?

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:41 PM
mayve as they are really low profile? or uneven wear?

there a 35 profile, but no uneven wear, in fact non at all as they still have the nobbles on

L200 Steve
24-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Your tyres grip better after a brief scrubbing in period.

You are probably hitting a section of tarmac that has very good adhesion, hence the increase in road noise.

Do they tend to sound louder on newer road surfaces (my 20"s on the Hilux do)

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Your tyres grip better after a brief scrubbing in period.

You are probably hitting a section of tarmac that has very good adhesion, hence the increase in road noise.

Do they tend to sound louder on newer road surfaces (my 20"s on the Hilux do)

TBH steve i can live with the road noise, they just seem a bit louder, BUT since having the tracking i have the odd 2-3 secs of quite loud rumbling from the front, then it goes , hence why im probably hearing more road noise as im looking for a problem

Versoman
24-10-2007, 10:49 PM
maybe a daft suggestion shaun but have you checked that all the bolts are tight
never know mate:thumb:

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:51 PM
thats tomorrows job mate (been at work since the alignmment :-)

GateKiller
24-10-2007, 10:54 PM
TBH steve i can live with the road noise, they just seem a bit louder, BUT since having the tracking i have the odd 2-3 secs of quite loud rumbling from the front, then it goes , hence why im probably hearing more road noise as im looking for a problem

This does sound like a wheel bearing to me.

To check, jack the car up and on each wheel, rock the wheel with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock. If you find a wheel with more play than the others, the the one with the failing wheel bearing.

Another method is to spin the wheel in the correct direction of travel and listen for a metal on metal noise. You'll probably notice one wheel making a noise over the other.

Make sure you check all four wheels.

Hope this info helps.
GK

parish
24-10-2007, 10:58 PM
It could just be one of those things with vibration, where the vibrations build up then dissipate - like how an exhaust system can resonate but not at a constant pitch. It's to do with natural resonant frequency (I think that's the correct term). You've altered the characteristics of the front suspension - bigger brakes means greater unsprung mass etc. If you alter the tyre pressures a few psi it may go away.

Shaun
24-10-2007, 10:58 PM
This does sound like a wheel bearing to me.

To check, jack the car up and on each wheel, rock the wheel with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock. If you find a wheel with more play than the others, the the one with the failing wheel bearing.

Another method is to spin the wheel in the correct direction of travel and listen for a metal on metal noise. You'll probably notice one wheel making a noise over the other.

Make sure you check all four wheels.

Hope this info helps.
GK

^ i will try it tomorrow, anyone know what a wheelbearing for an ST costs LOL

GateKiller
24-10-2007, 11:02 PM

Wouldn't like to say. A ford focus wheel bearing cost me 40 from Andrew Page and then 10 for a mate to push the bearing out with a press.

Done in a garage, I would estimate around 2 - 300 notes :( ... Only a guess mind you. But it is a bit of a longish job to take off the hub and break it down etc.

GK

parish
24-10-2007, 11:05 PM
A failing wheel bearing would also be noisy on cornering - more so when the bad bearing is on the outside wheel. Does this happen too Shaun?

Shaun
24-10-2007, 11:11 PM
A failing wheel bearing would also be noisy on cornering - more so when the bad bearing is on the outside wheel. Does this happen too Shaun?

nope, the excessive noise (2-3 sec rumble) mostly happens on straights, and strangely more when going downhill ?

could incorrect tracking be at fault ?

Timmo
24-10-2007, 11:13 PM
pasrish has made some good points!
since youve added the last few things the unsprung weight has increased quite a bit and could be the cause of the vibrations,
also, the vibrations, are they at a specific speed, and do they always go at the same speed ie start at 35mph and stops at 45mph??? if so would lend itself to balancing, 35profile tyres are Very low and as such will find all the distortions in the road and feed it back through the running gear, could be that something has been over the surface and fubar'd it up! (there are two sections fo road near me that when you travel over them it sounds like your wheel bearings gone!)
it woul dbe very much worth having the tracking checked out (incase you havent alrerady) as you also dont want uneven wear on one of your tyres as they arnt cheap in that size!

s2kpaul
25-10-2007, 07:58 AM
after changing alloy myself , after 4 weeks the road noise increased, i h ave to put it down to lower profile and temp drop as most summer tryes will have the 7deg cut off and the compound hardens which increses noise.

Stevie K
25-10-2007, 08:27 AM
If the noise started with the new tyres there's a couple of things you could check.

Make sure that all the tyres are in the correct rotation, as you'll probably know, depending on tread pattern, some tyres will show a rotation arrow on the sidewall. If the rotation is wrong, you'll get noise, vibtation, and eventually the tyre will be ruined. It's amazing how many tyre fitters get this wrong.

Another thing to check is for any bulges in the tre wall, a few years back, i had a set of Pirelli's fitted, and after six attemps at getting them ballanced, it was discovered that one of the tyres had a slight bulge in the sidewall.

Anyway, the supplier fitted a whole new set, and i had no more problems :thumb:

Flaming Dragon
25-10-2007, 08:51 AM
with only 1k on the tyres I know it is unlikely but have you checked the edge of the tread for feathering/saw tooth??

ianFRST
25-10-2007, 09:37 AM

when i had my rs turbo, the wheel bearing was 37.50 and then something like 125 to fit it. of course, the wheel bearing could cost double for the ST if not more

1000lakes
25-10-2007, 09:41 AM
nope, the excessive noise (2-3 sec rumble) mostly happens on straights, and strangely more when going downhill ?

Have you checked that tyres won't touch any part of the arches or inner mudguards? While you hear the noise coming from front, source can be from back aswell. Loose or damaged bearing usually makes the rumble.

Shaun
25-10-2007, 10:14 AM
im not sure if i have just found a missing weight, im not sure because its not there and im not sure it ever was though LOL, im nipping to my tyre fitter now then my alignment place

Shaun
25-10-2007, 01:22 PM
OK, went back to my tyre fitter and had a weight missing, fingers crossed its sorted it

freon warrior
25-10-2007, 01:36 PM
"what causes excessive road noise from tyres?"

Runflats are very noisy, the wifes Cooper S is a nightmare

GateKiller
25-10-2007, 04:02 PM
OK, went back to my tyre fitter and had a weight missing, fingers crossed its sorted it

All sorted now ?? :)

306chris
25-10-2007, 04:16 PM
maybe a daft suggestion shaun but have you checked that all the bolts are tight
never know mate:thumb:

I've suffered from this, I had a rumbling every now and then, eventually traced back to loose nuts.

Shaun
25-10-2007, 04:19 PM
All sorted now ?? :)

whilst holding a big piece of wood, i think so :thumb:

Ronnie
25-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Your car does not like the new wheels and AP's so being a good friendly person I will offer to remove them and I will give u the wheels and calipers of the Mondeo and I won't even charge you do do so!!! I am a really nice person arn't I!!!

Shaun
25-10-2007, 05:10 PM
^^thats very good of you, i will consider it :-)

ChuckH
25-10-2007, 05:52 PM
When You fit lowering springs it is essentiall to carry out a full geometry check which is more than just tracking ! It involves castor and camber and wheel alighnment and a few other peramiters as well ! Also if they are stiffer the springs will absorb less of the road noise because they are harder Its a lttle like the difference in which a drum sounds whe struck differently !

A well set up and alighned car is a revelation !(A poor one is not) Cars can be set up for fast road or for track use or a combination of both Depending on the drivers prefference !
It is allmost immposible for a car fitted with after market springs to be set up correctly with no ajustments cos the ST or any other car was desighned to ride at a different height and with different spring rates.
Many Many people go back to the original springs when the realise the compromises when using after market kit Also the shocks and struts wear much faster cos the attitude they run at is often to extreme

Sorry to piss on Your firework Mate but a full geometric check is needed and You must be sure You can live with the compromises cos if You reset it all up then ditch the springs You have to reset again ! :thumb:

Shaun
25-10-2007, 06:56 PM
^^if you mean me then i have already had a full laser alignment done (as i said early on in this post), and for your info the camber/ geometry cannot be adjusted on the ST, the only thing that can be set is the Toe which i had done, as i have said i didnt mind the road noise, it was the odd 2-3 second noise (rumble) that i was worried about, but a missing weight has been replaced and im now happy :-)

Phill J
25-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Under-inflated tyres sometimes.

GlynRS2
25-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Out of interest how big (weight wise) was the missing weight?

Shaun
25-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Out of interest how big (weight wise) was the missing weight?

30 all together

Versoman
25-10-2007, 10:53 PM
glad your sorted Shaun

richie.guy
25-10-2007, 10:54 PM
^^if you mean me then i have already had a full laser alignment done (as i said early on in this post), and for your info the camber/ geometry cannot be adjusted on the ST, the only thing that can be set is the Toe which i had done, as i have said i didnt mind the road noise, it was the odd 2-3 second noise (rumble) that i was worried about, but a missing weight has been replaced and im now happy :-)

Camber should be adjustable, even if it means using 'teardrop' bolts :thumb:

GateKiller
25-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Good to hear it's sorted and was something as simple as wheel weights :)

GateKiller
25-10-2007, 11:02 PM

ooo, what are Teardrop Bolts? Sounds interesting...

Shaun
25-10-2007, 11:04 PM

the camber after lowering is same as the original setting before lowering anyway

richie.guy
25-10-2007, 11:05 PM
ooo, what are Teardrop Bolts? Sounds interesting...

http://www.performancealloys.com/loweringkits_springs.asp

Under 'H&R Triple C Eccentric Systems' near the bottom, although there are several different 'deigns' to them.

I know a few people that run/have run them and they say they're good. I'm posh so i don't need them :lol:

the camber after lowering is same as the original setting before lowering anyway

Are you sure? First time i've heard that.

Normally the lower you go the more negative the camber becomes, which is good to an extent...