PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Greasy Smears - How Do I Remove Them?

HMG1K
19-10-2008, 10:29 PM
What's the best product / method to get rid of greasy smears on the windscreen when you use the wipers?

Using the wipers I get greasy 'blotchy small circle-like' smears all over the screen for the first 20 or so wipes of the wipers and then it seems to clear and the screen is fine.

Any ideas please? :driver:

Thanks
Philip :detailer:

gug54321
19-10-2008, 11:11 PM
sound like you need a good clean, personally i would give it a clay, then a glass polish then finish off with rain x or simalar to seal it!

caledonia
19-10-2008, 11:27 PM
sound like you need a good clean, personally i would give it a clay, then a glass polish then finish off with rain x or simalar to seal it!

As above.
But dont forget to clean the wiper blades with a good APC also :thumb:

mazda3_daveg
20-10-2008, 12:30 PM
To clean my glass I clay then polish with AG Glass Polish. I have yet to see cleaner windows! :D

BareFacedGeek
20-10-2008, 12:45 PM
As above, both your windscreen and wipers need a good clean.

I use Einszett glass polish - just like AG's but does not stain the window rubber. Finish off with something like RainX. Polishing the glass before applying a glass sealant (i.e. RainX) substantially increases the durability of the glass sealant - I can get 3 months out of a single application (2 coats) of RainX this way.

I use a liquid glass cleaner (currently Megs) to clean the wiper blades - use a disposable cloth or paper towel, spray the glass cleaner onto the cloth and wipe across the blade rubber. Repeat until you no longer get and black staining from the blades on your cloth.

HMG1K
20-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Lovely - thank you all!

I'm new to all this - although did get my car detailed by another member on here!

I didn't realise you can clean wiper blades until the black staining stops - I've given them wipes in the past but didn't realise it would stop staining. I'm going to get new blades anyway, so will avoid that.

So, any particular clay that's recommended for glass?

Then I guess it's down to AG Glass Polish or Einszett glass polish before the RainX sealant. Thanks again in advance.

Philip

mazda3_daveg
20-10-2008, 08:41 PM
So, any particular clay that's recommended for glass?

If you already have some just use that. I use my Sonus Green when it's no longer clean enough for paintwork. If you haven't already get some this is the stuff to get. You get a huge bar and you can use water as a lube:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=33&products_id=455&osCsid=924e78b8d8c333df096da6d2d39c83c2

RJH
20-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi
I've used a sealant kit from Lidl - it was about 5 from memory. It came with a block to scrub the screen with to remove all the dead flies and stuff the a sealant. It's similar to RainX though, not as good beading you still need the wipers for example, but lasts much longer. I like RainX but needs applying allmost every week or you get nasty smears in my experience.

Richard

HMG1K
20-10-2008, 11:23 PM
If you already have some just use that. I use my Sonus Green when it's no longer clean enough for paintwork. If you haven't already get some this is the stuff to get. You get a huge bar and you can use water as a lube:

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=33&products_id=455&osCsid=924e78b8d8c333df096da6d2d39c83c2

Thank you!

All ordered, with the glass polish and RainX :thumb:

parish
20-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I use Einszett glass polish

+1 for Einszett - you'll be amazed what it'll pull out of "clean" glass :thumb:

mazda3_daveg
20-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Nice one. If you got the AG glass polish it goes on best with a sponge applicator. The RainX can be a pain to apply, there is lots of useful tips here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74782

HMG1K
20-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Wonderful - thanks for the link... will have a read.

Went for the Einszett glass polish over the AG

parish
20-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Went for the Einszett glass polish over the AG

It works best if you work it really well - use a PC if you've got one.

Best way I find to gauge if you've worked it enough is when that "lace curtain" effect you see on the glass when you wet it has disappeared (you can see it when you're using the polish, though not on the area of the screen swept by the wipers).

Take a look at this thread (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15930) (about 2/3 the way down) by L200 Steve to see just how much crud he got out of his windscreen using Einszett on a PC after washing and claying it - look at the colour of the pad :eek: