Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Interior & Glass (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Inside of windscreen freezing (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=401544)

Soapybubbles 24-12-2017 11:41 AM

Inside of windscreen freezing

Does anyone else's windscreen freeze on the inside when it's really cold and frosty?

I've ensures there is no water ingress or wetness inside the car, but still when my car is left for a few days and it's been minus temps the inside of my screen is iced up.?

I've resorted to installing a de humidifier pouch to try and help the issue.

It has made a small difference but not perfect?

J306TD 24-12-2017 12:10 PM

Car must be damp inside somewhere.

When was the pollen filter last changed as leaves may be sat in the ducting?

Had this on my 306. But that was always damp and cold. Heater didn't really work

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

petemattw 24-12-2017 12:26 PM

I had this on one of my old land rovers, couple of the feed pipes in the engine bay had split so when it was cold water was present in the area around the car resulting in ice formation on the inside of the windscreen. Check EVERYTHING and then check it again until you find the source of the water as there can't be ice without water in the car somewhere!

Mcpx 24-12-2017 01:53 PM

Not uncommon when we are having foggy/misty weather and these big variations in ambient temp. Even when you are driving around with the heater on it is pulling fresh air in from outside, so even if your checks don’t reveal an obvious source, it could just be the moisture in the air itself. Could also be damp carpets/mats from wet feet. Use the air con if the car has it, even when the heater is on hot, as it will dry the air and may reduce the problem.

JamesRS5 24-12-2017 02:14 PM

Get some of the absorbent cat litter crystals and pour them into an old pair of socks, leave these on your dash overnight to absorb the moisture.

Pull your cabin filter and replace it

Drive the car with the heating on full until it gets unbearably hot, all the moisture in the car should now be vapour, open the windows and let it blow out of the car, repeat all the way home, that should do the trick.

davies20 24-12-2017 02:17 PM

I have this happen over the cold periods on my little 2006 plate work Corsa, so bloody annoy when youve put a windscreen cover on to stop the outside freezing & still end up sat their for 10min defrosting the inside!!

streaky 24-12-2017 06:27 PM

This happens regularly in cold weather to my VWT5 but it doesn't bother me as the doors are usually frozen shut so I can't get in it anyway lol

DTB 24-12-2017 06:53 PM

With some cars the position of the vents when the car is left overnight can be a contributing factor. If the vents for the windscreen are left open the cold & damp air from outside gets pulled in as the warm air inside the cabin cools, result being you get excess condensation inside the windscreen which freezes. Some cars are worse than others for this.

Try switching the vents from windscreen down to feet when you leave the car at night and see if that helps at all.

mayhem85 25-12-2017 12:34 AM

I had this problem on a zafira I had, rear window were ever so slightly open due to the wind deflectors, ended up having to spray de icer onto the inside of the windscreen. Took the wind deflectors off and no problem.

BigLeegr 09-01-2018 12:50 AM

I've noticed that after using certain cleaners the glass would be more prone to fog/frost. One brand I use from the US is really good at minimizing this (Formula PX), but since you aren't likely to be able to acquire it, another method I have found useful is to do a 'rinse" cleaning of the glass with alcohol and clean cloths. This seems to get rid of residues from previous cleaners (some leave stuff behind that is supposed keep the glass cleaner longer etc.) and there is a noticeable decrease in fogging/frosting afterwards.