Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Help..! (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Struggling to find the perfect foam mix (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=401783)

olliewills 04-01-2018 03:31 PM

Struggling to find the perfect foam mix

Hello all,

I was recently given the gift of a Karcher FJ6 foam attachment and a 5l bottle of BH Autofoam. It goes without saying that this made me happy but I'm struggling to get a creamy foam that sticks to the car and doesn't run off after 60 seconds.

So far I've tried various combinations of the following with little success:

- the recommended BH dilution
- a weaker foam dilution
- a stronger foam dilution
- adding in a bit of Meguiars gold class shampoo
- hot and cold water in the foam bottle
- hot and cold water through the pressure washer
- all manner of twiddling the knob on to of the attachent

I live in south Wales and we have good soft water here so I doubt that could be flattening the mixture.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Next time I'm able I'll grab a photo of what my foam looks like currently.

Cheers

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ChrisHorner 04-01-2018 03:40 PM

Auto foam is designed to be a thin foam that breaks down, it cleans as the bubbles break down. Sorry the foam lance you have is pretty useless I had one replaced it shar**** so that will not help you create the desired effect, I suggest a replacement lance should help, if you want a thick foam try auto finesse avalanche and a clean your car PA foam lance.

Scotie 04-01-2018 03:40 PM

BH autofoam isnt designed to be a thick foam and cling to your car for a long time like most other foams, its a much more watery foam but does the job better than any other that i have tried

\Rian 04-01-2018 03:41 PM

You wont!

Unfortunately the fj6 inst anything like the ones made by P.A. SpA in Italy.

Second Auto Foam is a great cleaner but not a very foamy one and does not foam up like Magifoam that is more for show than cleaning.

I had a similar bottle to the fl6 before I brought my Piuma snow foam and the difference is night and day.

The below gets mixed reviews but it works a treat for me with my Nilfisk e140 and produces a shaving foam type foam as opposed to my previous bottle that produced a week runny foam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Idrobase-It.../dp/B01HQ1WHYW

Also if your car is well protected the foam will slide of sooner

olliewills 04-01-2018 05:09 PM

Okay, sounds as if I'm not doing anything wrong then and if that's the way foam is supposed to be then all is cool!

I do suspect the Karcher attachement isn't up to much but I guess it's less of a problem with the foam I have.

The car is clayed, sealed and has an ageing layer of BH double-speed on it so I suspect I'm also fighting that.

I'll stick with the recommended dilution from now on. It does seem to be cleaning so that should be enough for me!

\Rian 04-01-2018 05:25 PM

A decent lance

Quote:

Originally Posted by olliewills (Post 5420133)
Okay, sounds as if I'm not doing anything wrong then and if that's the way foam is supposed to be then all is cool!

I do suspect the Karcher attachement isn't up to much but I guess it's less of a problem with the foam I have.

The car is clayed, sealed and has an ageing layer of BH double-speed on it so I suspect I'm also fighting that.

I'll stick with the recommended dilution from now on. It does seem to be cleaning so that should be enough for me!

Auto foam wont foam much but getting a proper lance is like night and day.

My AF avalanche used to be a water foam then when I switched to a proper lance its like shaving cream.

You wont regret it

cleslie 04-01-2018 05:35 PM

I recently got an Idrobase Italy Piuma lance for my K6 and it works great. 15.99 from Amazon.:thumb:

djberney 04-01-2018 05:36 PM

I've got one of these Karcher attachments and it works OK with Autosmart Actimousse provided it is turned up to maximum. When using the BH Autofoam, so as not to annoy the neighbours, I use a 5l pump sprayer as recommended on here. I might splash out on a better foam gun eventually but I probably spend too much on this stuff as it is.

\Rian 04-01-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleslie (Post 5420143)
I recently got an Idrobase Italy Piuma lance for my K6 and it works great. 15.99 from Amazon.:thumb:

How do you find yours cleslie i keep meaning to do a write up about it, mine is great.

Super foaming lovely and thick, its great quality to unlike the Chinese ones .

I would say these are on par with the P.A Spa ones also made in italy but at about twice to 3 times the cost.

Goes to show you don't always get what you pay for sometimes you get more :)

chongo 04-01-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rian (Post 5420155)
How do you find yours cleslie i keep meaning to do a write up about it, mine is great.

Super foaming lovely and thick, its great quality to unlike the Chinese ones .

I would say these are on par with the P.A Spa ones also made in italy but at about twice to 3 times the cost.

Goes to show you don't always get what you pay for sometimes you get more :)

I've had mine since it first got a mention on here, and am surprised how good it is for the price:thumb: