Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Motoring Zone (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Can you earn a reasonable living working as a mechanic (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=409017)

Henry_b 07-10-2018 11:24 PM

Can you earn a reasonable living working as a mechanic

Title says it all really..

Just looking for any words of wisdom regarding this career path..

Can you earn a reasonable living :confused:

Weird question i know i'm just stumped at the moment, hope this section of the forum is ok to post this in :lol:

H

Andyblue 07-10-2018 11:30 PM

Yes you can do - but I suppose it depends what you call a reasonable living and are you going independently or for someone.

My only advice I can offer from personal experience - well father in laws actually, if youíre priced right and do a good job, then youíll get people returning to you year on year. Donít over price / charge a job and if someone pops in for a 5 minute job, sometimes a good will gesture from you, can mean the world to the customer and have them return for paying jobs there after...

Customer satisfaction goes a hell of a long way :)

Henry_b 07-10-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyblue (Post 5503529)
Yes you can do - but I suppose it depends what you call a reasonable living and are you going independently or for someone.

My only advice I can offer from personal experience - well father in laws actually, if youíre priced right and do a good job, then youíll get people returning to you year on year. Donít over price / charge a job and if someone pops in for a 5 minute job, sometimes a good will gesture from you, can mean the world to the customer and have them return for paying jobs there after...

Thanks Andy, appreciated :thumb:

Darlofan 08-10-2018 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyblue (Post 5503529)

This advice is spot on. My dad was a mechanic all his life, if somebody came in for something that took a few minutes he would only charge for the part, wiper blade, bulb, fuse etc or they knew he'd be in the local pub so get him a pint! This got him their business when something bigger needed doing.
You also if working for somebody else get a lot of jobs on the side. I use a mate who takes my car to work and does it after hours or in his garage at home depending on what equipment he needs. He's busy as hell and needs a few weeks notice usually.

Henry_b 08-10-2018 12:56 AM

Cheers for the replies chaps..

I'm planning to start off working for someone. :)

Caledoniandream 08-10-2018 06:30 AM

Depends what you want to do, HGV and coach mechanics are general very well paid.
Most HGV mechanics are on 40% more money here in the North West.
Also depends what part of the country you are.
Even when working in employment there is a very good living to get.
However there is a big investment in tools that really never ends, there is always something new.

If you really want to make big bucks, train as Auto electrician, that is where the future and the money is.
Try to get an apprenticeship, even if slightly older, there are still plenty of them about.
And by the way, donít think when you walk in the industry that the big money is just waiting for you, like every job, training, experience and reputation are the thing that give you a good future.

The Cueball 08-10-2018 08:24 AM

I only know 2 mechanics.... 1 of them has a £20k motorbike, Ford Mustang 5.0, and a large boat for the weekends...

the other one, has 2 bikes and takes a week off every month to golf in Spain... where he has a house...

so yeah... I think they are doing OK... :lol:

possul 08-10-2018 08:24 AM

I was a mechanic for about ten years.
Got to a point where a got fed up of working most saturdays, staying late, having to do extra hours to get a not so decent wage.
Over ten years i was on a yearly wage of 18k

Im now in aerosoace with an average working week of 39 hrs, including my overtime with much better wages and perks (working abroad)
I always here the old saying, dont need money to be happier but weve never been happier tbh.

I worked as an AA tech for about a year, whilst it was good money it was 60-70 hour weeks, i stopped when the kids said they never saw me, that broke me.

Someone has mentioned auto electrician, that is the way to go, im be tempted to go somewhere like nissan, lexus toyota for the hybrid system training youd get and do as much as possible

I still love working on csrs and getting my hands dirty but as its a hobby i get to do it at my leisure!

possul 08-10-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cueball (Post 5503557)
I only know 2 mechanics.... 1 of them has a £20k motorbike, Ford Mustang 5.0, and a large boat for the weekends...

the other one, has 2 bikes and takes a week off every month to golf in Spain... where he has a house...

so yeah... I think they are doing OK... :lol:

Mechanics, for who? Themselves or a company?

The Cueball 08-10-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by possul (Post 5503559)
Mechanics, for who? Themselves or a company?

they both have their own garages... :thumb: