Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing Chat (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Vastly covered subject - wheel cleaner (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=207945)

Dela 15-03-2011 02:18 PM

Vastly covered subject - wheel cleaner

Hi guys

I have tried searching and reading, but haven't quite found the answer I was looking for. I have tried posting in some other areas of the forum, but it seems somewhat more appropriate here. So,

I am having my 19" Barracudas coming home in a weeks time and getting them fitted and aligned with Bilstein B14 coils at the same time. They are the same as seen below, but they will now have a polished lip. That equals NO paint, clear coat or similar on the lip.
As soon as I receive them they will receive 2-3 coats of Poor Boys wheel sealant, but since I'm down to bare alloy, which wheel cleaner should I use?

I looked at the Bilberry, but it shouldn't be used on bare alloy.
Previously I have used the P21S Gel formula (Now R222) and found it really nice. But I'm out at the moment, so -

Any thought to which wheel cleaner I should use?

Shoot away - and thanks guys!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...D/IMG_0820.jpg

Tags. Bare aluminum, wheel cleaner, wheel sealant, sealer.

ajmanby 15-03-2011 02:23 PM

if you protect them well enough then you shouldn't really need to use a wheel cleaner, a soapy water will do the job, however if you need that extra cleaning power then i would recomend the autobrite wheel cleaner.

Audriulis 15-03-2011 02:25 PM

It will be hard to find anything better than r222 wheel gel

Dela 15-03-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmanby (Post 2682942)
if you protect them well enough then you shouldn't really need to use a wheel cleaner, a soapy water will do the job, however if you need that extra cleaning power then i would recomend the autobrite wheel cleaner.

Yeah, that's my thought to, but getting some grime on them and not having the appropriate appliance for removal doesn't really appeal, so I need to have it anyways for the just in case situation.
And, the winter alloys are coming off in the same instance and should be cleaned as well ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audriulis (Post 2682949)
It will be hard to find anything better than r222 wheel gel

I've had a pro detailer say the same, but that's one guy, and forums are an endless source of information.

My main reason for asking in plenum is actually because I don't know if the R222 is suited for none coated alloy!

Beancounter 15-03-2011 02:36 PM

For me the best wheel cleaners are:
  • P21s Red Power Gel
  • Sonax Extreme Rim cleaner
I've also heard good things about Wolf's 'Brake Duster' but I'm yet to try it.

But as has already been said, once you get some decent protection on them (have you considered something like Gtechniq C5 btw?) you should only need to tickle them with some soapy water and a sponge and you're done.

HTH :)

Dela 15-03-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beancounter (Post 2682972)
For me the best wheel cleaners are:
  • P21s Red Power Gel
  • Sonax Extreme Rim cleaner
I've also heard good things about Wolf's 'Brake Duster' but I'm yet to try it.

But as has already been said, once you get some decent protection on them (have you considered something like Gtechniq C5 btw?) you should only need to tickle them with some soapy water and a sponge and you're done.

HTH :)

I already have the Poor Boy wheel sealant from last summer, and would like to just continue using this if suited. Have been reading on the Gtechniq products since I joined the forum, but haven't considered buying the C5. I'll take that as sound advice regarding sealing :thumb:

I have an offer of two liters of R222 (P21S) at around 24 incl shipping, so will perhaps go for this one. But would like to hear if anyone would say differently:confused:

Robw757 15-03-2011 08:21 PM

How about AG Custom Wheel Cleaner? Just a thought :)

Rob

Dela 15-03-2011 08:36 PM

I have never heard anyone use it, so your guess guess is as good as yours :D

I have found a Danish supplier of Autoglym products and will see what they say.

Still, suggestions are welcome if someone has one...

matt1263 16-03-2011 08:15 AM

I would go with fk1000p, last longer :thumb:

Wheel cleaner, wolf brake duster, ph safe and according to jesse wont mark bare alloy.

But if they are protected then just a normal car shampoo should do.

(Autobrite gel is very strong and shouldnt be used on bare alloy)

Dela 16-03-2011 08:30 AM

Matt1263, very usefull, thanks a lot. I will try yo look in to that as well!

I have a Poor Boys auto Shampoo which I use for all appliances, and that should cover it well with a MF mitten!