Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Detailing Chat (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Newbie advice (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=402913)

Pablo_the_dogg 11-02-2018 07:03 PM

Newbie advice
 
Hi guys. I have bought my first machine polisher, a das-6 pro.
I've never had a go at polishing or clay barring, nothing more than a snow foam and wash. I'm a little nervous tbh and would like recommendations for products to use. Ive had a look in the article section but still feel a little lost. My car is a silver impreza sti and the paintwork is in good condition. I just want to get it popping lol. Also I'm a little confused about when to use some products like glazes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

dchapman88 11-02-2018 07:13 PM

Hi mate
Firstly welcome along
:)

Secondly, I'm not quite sure exactly what your after. You've not really asked any specific questions.

Are you looking for advice on claying or advice on the machine itself or products?

Ask away.....

Pablo_the_dogg 11-02-2018 07:39 PM

Best products for the whole process for a first-timer really

Pablo_the_dogg 11-02-2018 08:27 PM

And also what to do lol. So far I know

Snow foam
2 bucket wash
Clay bar
Machine polish
Wax

But I have just seen built hamber recommend a fallout spray before clay barring. And you glaze before wax. Are these needed and is there anything else I need to do? Thanks

dchapman88 11-02-2018 08:29 PM

Ok so seems it's very open ended I'll try not to be too vague

Bilt Hamber clay has a very good reputation for being a high quality.
Their fallout remover also

In terms of the polisher, Chemical guys Hex pads are regarded as a really good all round set of pads. Atleast 2 of each would cover all bases depending on what you want to achieve correction wise

Polishes, Koch Chemie, Menzerna and Sonax all seem to tick a lot of boxes. But it's very much down to personal opinion, if suggest sample size bottles and see what works for you.

But before any of that get yourself a scrap panel before you think about putting your machine to your car.
Practise on that and perfect your technique and then your good to go.

dchapman88 11-02-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo_the_dogg (Post 5434562)
And also what to do lol. So far I know

Snow foam
2 bucket wash
Clay bar
Machine polish
Wax

But I have just seen built hamber recommend a fallout spray before clay barring. And you glaze before wax. Are these needed and is there anything else I need to do? Thanks


So my basic routine would go

Pre wash and Foam
Rinse
2BM wash
Rinse, dry
Fallout
Rinse
Tar and glue remover
Rinse
Clay,
Rinse
Dry
Machine (compound/polish/glaze/cleaner) depending on what your trying to achieve
LSP

Pablo_the_dogg 11-02-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchapman88 (Post 5434568)
So my basic routine would go

Pre wash and Foam
Rinse
2BM wash
Rinse, dry
Fallout
Rinse
Tar and glue remover
Rinse
Clay,
Rinse
Dry
Machine (compound/polish/glaze/cleaner) depending on what your trying to achieve
LSP


Thanks. Whats LSP?

crxftyyy 11-02-2018 10:29 PM

Last stage protection, such as a wax or ceramic coating.

Ceramic coatings tend to cost more, and require more prep to fulfil their potential but last a lot longer than a wax, some up to 2 years!

Waxes tend to give more gloss and shine to the paintwork, but only usually last a couple of months or so

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

steelghost 11-02-2018 10:34 PM

It's far from that simple though... There's all manner of hybrid waxes, sealants of many different types, the variety in price, durability,ease of use, look, water behaviour etc is colossal.

OP, as you'll see written many times on here, the finish is in the prep. So don't worry too much about the LSP. Buy a couple you like the sound of, give them a try and see what you do, or don't like about how they behave.

crxftyyy 11-02-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelghost (Post 5434638)
It's far from that simple though... There's all manner of hybrid waxes, sealants of many different types, the variety in price, durability,ease of use, look, water behaviour etc is colossal.

OP, as you'll see written many times on here, the finish is in the prep. So don't worry too much about the LSP. Buy a couple you like the sound of, give them a try and see what you do, or don't like about how they behave.

Would you recommend any products you've used that stood out? I've tried loads and can't really find any that I prefer over others

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors