Detailing World Forum banner

Got myself an M5...

273K views 424 replies 118 participants last post by  neilb62 
#1 ·
Well, a couple of weeks ago actually.

Been looking for a while and eventually found one with fairly good spec, extended leather, electric blind, glass sunroof, MkIV Sat-Nav (DVD not CD based) plenty of history and only 90k miles.

Not had much of a chance to do much due to work but bought some goodies including a Hayward and Scott backbox, new centre caps and some new emblems and badges.

It needs some rust attending too, one wheel refurbed and a little mechanical tlc, discs, pads, a steering arm etc etc...

Anyway a couple of pics on arrival...

Anyway, my Mrs, bless her decided she'd stum-up the cost of the body work for my birthday... :argie:

So here are things as she stands at the moment, it had rust in one sill, the fuel filler and drivers door so the complete off-side is being done. Followed by a complete machine polish to match it up.. I've used these guys before and they are good, plus they've taken the car to hart as their baby!

More updates to come as time and funds allow... And yes, the plate has changed too....

See less See more
#18 ·
Small update today, one wheel had been very badly kerbed (forgot to take photo, doh!) so here it is on the right fresh from the refurb place, the other wheel was sent with it to match. Not too far off in my book but none of them are original and you can by 4 new ones from BMW and they will all be different shades, so, good enough for me!

#19 ·
This only re-enforced my opinion that i need an M5 in my collection. Possibly an e60 for me but even so- this car, properly serviced with a decent exhaust and a quality air filter and you're absolutely golden.

Lovely, lovely car! Keep us informed please. Great piece of kit.

#22 ·
Hope you not making this an M5 restoration competition :) currently stripping my back end to cure some rust from the grommets just above the rear bumper.

Good looking motor, if you need any help let me know, I'm not that far off, be good to meet a fellow M5 owner nearby.

#23 ·
Well, It's back. Only really seen it in the dark so far but it's pretty swirl free under streetlights. There seems to be some contamination in the paint on the roof from a former paint job so in the spring I'll book it in to have the roof resprayed and a new windscreen. Now I need to clean and tidy up behind the wheels and sort out what I think is a loose gearbox mount. Pics to follow.

#25 ·
It needs brakes, not sure about the clutch as I'm not sure whats been done in the past. the clutch however feels fine with a good weight to the pedal. It has a record of over 20 dealer visits but BMW bless 'em won't tell me whats actually been done. It gives the impression of being quite well looked after.

#27 ·
The dealer or BMW customer services should be able to give you a full print out of all the service history of the car with any of their franchised dealers on request, as long as they are satisfied you are the legal owner. If you have now joy with your dealer phone customer services and request it, at the same time complain about the dealer who would not give you the details.

Reactions: neilb62
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.