Detailing World Forum banner

My car of the day, new VW Polo GTI

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Bill58 
#1 ·
There has been an avalanche of super mini's released this year, the last offering of 2017 is the new Polo GTI. Where most of it's rivals, including the fourth coming Fiesta ST are down sizing their engines, the Polo GTI is bucking the trend with a 2.0 litre four-cylinder petrol taken from the Golf GTI albeit DE-tuned to 197 BHP but not forgetting this Polo is smaller and lighter. DSG dual clutch auto's will be the first to arrive in May 2018 with manuals arriving later. There's no limited limited slip diff, however there is an XDS electronic diff to help stop wheel spin. In the cabin you'll find the customary checkered cloth seats while the infotainment system is carried over from the standard Polo along with LED headlights and adaptive cruise control with stop and go function, pedestrian detection and blind spot assist. With all this tech on board, the primary focus needs to be fun at the wheel so it remains to be seen if this Polo GTI delivers on that front.

key specs:

price £21,495
engine 2.0 litre 4 cyl turbo
power/torque 197 BHP/ 320 NM
transmission six speed dual clutch auto
0-60 in 6.7 seconds
top speed 147 MPH

Like it?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

Sky Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Wheel

Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

Wheel Vehicle Speedometer Car Gear shift

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Hood

See less See more
#7 ·
It's seems like this genre has been stuck at 200bhp for years and years, yet the bigger Golf, Astra size ones have just ramped up the power. I mean how hard could it be to just up it to 220bhp or so. Outside looks as boring as most VW's, it's a bit 'meh', I do like the change to the interior though. But 18k for a slightly nippy Polo is a bit much imho.

James.

#8 ·
It's seems like this genre has been stuck at 200bhp for years and years, yet the bigger Golf, Astra size ones have just ramped up the power. I mean how hard could it be to just up it to 220bhp or so. Outside looks as boring as most VW's, it's a bit 'meh', I do like the change to the interior though. But 18k for a slightly nippy Polo is a bit much imho.

James.
its actually £21,495

#17 ·
How is everyone complaining?

Ford have gone to 3 cylinders and a smaller capacity for the Fiesta ST and so will everyone else.

VW have gone 2.0L 4 Pot! in a very restricted engine.... This is 300bhp easy, can't wait to see these hit the Tuners. Pocket Rockets.

Basically its like a MK5 Golf in Size, Power and Old Price...But with a better engine and better technology.

They usually lose money quick too compared to the Golf GTi, so some bargains to be had at the end of everyones lease deals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.