Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   life after Brexit....... (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=401545)

bidderman1969 24-12-2017 12:36 PM

life after Brexit.......

what do you predict life will be like after Brexit? I'm very much hoping that all the money we pay into europe will be spent on our infrastructure, and hoping make life better, for example, the police service might have money spent on it, maybe actually re-open some stations, and the NHS, that desperately needs some investing in, what do you guys HOPE for?

Gas head 24-12-2017 12:52 PM

Much the same as it is now I suspect, yes we need billions to improve our infrastructure but I guess the money will be used to pay off the countries debt which is showing signs of improvement. 33 billion a year in interest alone (net)
We also need big investment in our manufacturing industry, and the deals to sell what we make, we have some really top brands and good at the moment it would be criminal if we don't make the most of it.
The pressure on housing probably will ease off as less Europeans will be allowed in.

Tyrefitter 24-12-2017 01:02 PM

They say the worlds in debt by billions,,can someone tell me who did the world borrow these billions from,another planet.?

Kerr 24-12-2017 01:27 PM

In a few years time the rest of Europe will be singing Christmas songs to raise money for us.

Soul boy 68 24-12-2017 01:31 PM

I'm intrigued as to how as a nation will get on after we leave the EU, question is that most of us on here are to young to remember how life was really like in the U.K. Pre 1974 when we first signed up to the common market. I think we will be OK, just that the money we have spare should be used to invest in our services and to pay off the nations depts.

kh904 24-12-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shy-talk (Post 5416518)
They say the worlds in debt by billions,,can someone tell me who did the world borrow these billions from,another planet.?

From the future via future taxation

wish wash 24-12-2017 02:08 PM

I predict that unless our exchange rate gets better will be paying more for everything. We have so many iconic British brands are there all owned by foreign company's. Even half my water bill to Northumbrian water is owned by Chung Kong infrastructure. Makes no bloody sense what them politicians do half the time and the decisions they make

Andyg_TSi 24-12-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 (Post 5416528)
I'm intrigued as to how as a nation will get on after we leave the EU, question is that most of us on here are to young to remember how life was really like in the U.K. Pre 1974 when we first signed up to the common market. I think we will be OK, just that the money we have spare should be used to invest in our services and to pay off the nations depts.

Like you say, we joined a 'common market' in 1974, essentially a group of sovereign independent nations allowing tarrif free cross border trade.

The common market was solely about trade, however, each member state still had control over its borders, each had their own currency and independent laws.
Remember......we still had our UK independent passports that had to be shown, rather than the plum coloured EU ones that replaced them.

We didnt sign up to what the common market has slowly evolved into over time....essentially a "united states of europe" with monetary and political unity, controlled from the centre.

All it needed was for the "EU" to be reformed and go back to what it was.....about trade while each member state controlled its own borders and could vet who it allowed into the country.

You have to read between the lines and look beyond the paper headlines for the future

Whilst all EU laws will pass into our constitution post brexit this just means that well earned protections may disappear if the CONservatives are voted in again.

There is already talk of hard won rights concerning the maximum number if hours you can work in a week, holiday pay, holiday entitlements, maternity/paternity leave/pay etc being ripped up post brexit.

This may sound far fetched to to some, but the real risk will us ending up being a low wage tax haven to be exploited. Especially in the light of continuing wage stagnation (worse wage growth in the G20).
Austerity hasnt worked, all its done is make the welthiest welthier while the rest of us continue to bear the pain.

We will also be paying to have free trade with the EU post brexit, but have no say over the direction of it.

GleemSpray 24-12-2017 04:23 PM

I do think the "future" for us is that, over the next few years, the British Govt and the EU will purposefully delay and drag out the Brexit divorce ( as i believe they currently are doing ) because Brexit is not good for either side.

Behind the scenes they will do mini-deals and agree compromises that will remove many of the current arguments about immigration, EU contributions, etc.

The end result will be an announcement that a comprehensive restructuring of the EU / UK relationship has been agreed , that now changes everything to such an extent, that the original referendum is meaningless and therefore will be ignored blah,blah,blah and that the UK is going to commit to the NEW European Joint Trading Partnership ( or whatever name they come up with ) and we get to set our own border controls, we get to have UK passports, but we will still make and receive monetary contributions for the common good etc,etc.

Seriously, i doubt that we will actually part company with the EU, but a face saving make-over will be orchestrated to benefit the UK and European Governments and then it will be business as usual.

Call me cynical, but i do think that something like that will eventually happen, because it has already dragged on long enough that the Brexiteers are starting to wear down and lose interest. The Remoaners will just continue to bang the same drum and a coupe of years further down the road the majority will just agree with whatever is proposed.

PS i am old enough to remember pre 1974 and this country was in a right state - it was the trade with commonwealth countries that was largely keeping us afloat - back then we desperately needed the common market.... anyone remember the "I'm Backing Britain " shambles ???

MDC250 24-12-2017 06:07 PM

5th largest economy in the world...positive.

One of the highest average debts in Europe...negative. That said those who are worse than us are generally Scandinavians and they seem happy enough [emoji23]

On a serious note bit gutted with negotiations so far, we seem to have capitulated far too easily. Not hopeful for the end outcome at this rate.