Detailing World

Detailing World (
-   Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber (
-   -   Why "non-bio" wash liquid for washing? (

Gussy 03-01-2018 09:55 PM

Why "non-bio" wash liquid for washing?

The search function didn't seem to be able to search for this question.

Anyway, why is "non-bio" liquid always recommended when washing towels / cloths etc?

Does "bio" liquid degrade the towels / cloths over time?

Scotie 03-01-2018 09:59 PM

I believe in Bio liquids the enzymes used in them tend to "eat" things like Wool, microfiber etc.

Tykebike 07-01-2018 10:23 AM

My take on this is that people assume that bio products have fabric conditioners in them and therefore should not be used for washing microfibre towels as the performance will degrade. I contacted Persil to ask them if their biological products contained fabric conditioners - the answer is no.
It seems as though biological products are better at removing stains than non bio products. Are there any chemists in the audience?

LeeH 07-01-2018 12:23 PM

I always believed the only differences were the enzymes in bio so they are less likely to aggravate your skin. So they are more gentle on YOU, not particularly the fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LeeH 07-01-2018 12:34 PM

A quick look suggests that enzymes are not effective on dirt that will be on cloths that we are washing. Just protein, fats etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TOGWT 07-01-2018 12:42 PM

Non Biological means it doesn’t contain enzymes, so the cleaning chemicals need to be harsher and usually rely on hot water. Biological cleaners can be used effectively at lower temperature and still be effective

Biological detergents clean in the same way as non-biological ones with additional effects from the enzymes, whose purpose is to break down protein, starches and fat in dirt and stains on clothing to be laundered, for example food stains, sweat and mud

Different enzymes are suitable for different applications and fabrics. Lipase enzyme for example being more suitable as a degreaser, and others more general purpose or for removing particular dirt types such as the effect protease has on the protein molecules in food stuffs.

I'm a Chemical Engineer not a Chemist so I'm unable to provide much more information other than basics