Detailing World Forum banner

Spraying galvanised steel?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  steelghost 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I recently purchased a second hand set of replacement running boards, I stripped them down and have put them in a shop and currently they are being sand blasted back to bare metal then the brackets and main bodies of the running boards are being hot dip galvanised, with the aluminium side trim powder coated gloss red.

I’m just wondering if I should get a can of black paint to spray over the galvanise so it’s not that bright shiny silver colour. But I’m unsure exactly what I would need, I.e primer or not, or just hammerite. The finish is not important as it’s all underneath. There is rubber trim that covers the top, then the red edge will be what you see from outside. Was just thinking possible a bit of extra anti corrosion protection also.
The company doing the work said they could finish them off in black but that would be abother £70! On top of the £170 plus vat I’ve been quoted so far.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
I'd be looking to use an etch primer on top of the galvanising ready for your final finish. I've seen many household railings with hammerite that has flaked off revealing the galvanising underneath.

For any future projects, it is always worth considering a galvafroid type coating as sometimes it can be a good option. We used to use it quite often for certain tasks when I worked in steel fabrication.

#3 ·
Its mainly when i reassemble the boards, i dont want there to be any glinting of silver coming through between the rubber top cover and the red strip, i think that will look odd. Need to get them back first to see the final outcome of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.