Thread: Audi R8 Detail
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
HeavenlyDetail
DW Supporter

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,231 Posts

Next i decided to treat the wheels to a glazing using ez creme glaze to try and wet the metallic with the glazes oils

this was wiped on and off within one minute

before moving on to the sealent for the wheels jetseal 109 which has had such fantastic reports for durability and the ability to bring out the flake...In my experience there is nothing better.....

This was left on for 20 minutes for it to catalyse before being wiped off....A second layer was put on during the wax stage and removed at the end of the waxing after approximately 40 minutes...

The results on the wheels with this combination speak for themselves with the knowledge that brake dust will not penetrate the barrier now built up....

Now the wax for today was a tough choice but after duscussing it with Tim i decided to advise him to go for swissvax Mystery as i believed it would look fantastic on silver having tested it on a few colours just lately...

Mysterys 'secret' formula is produced using 55% by volume of the purest No.1 grade unbleached white carnauba wax. It also contains high concentrations of wax esters, wax alcohols and long chain fatty acids. Enriched with coconut, almond and vanilla extracts.

The certificate shows its hand crafted and signed by the individual who crafted it which is a nice touch!!

So the whole car was then waxed a panel at a time

and removed when i felt it had bonded and taken

to leave a fantastic shine

The headlights were also waxed.....

Next all glass was cleaned with megs glass cleaner

and all non metallic areas detailed using small detailing brush

and larger hair brush for paintwork areas and larger plastic components.....

The weather had perked up now so i decided to get the car outside again to check over the engine bay and interior

Now one thing that i really loved about this car was the sound system and the reversing cameras built in.....Various other cars im sure utilise this technology but it was new to me....

It basically in real time guides you in reverse mode and shows you whats behind you.....

VIDEO REVERSING

The interior of the r8 is fantastic...

It has various safet features including Active headrests They automatically deploy forwards to cushion backward momentum of the head to try and minimise whiplash in the event you forget your not at the nurburgring...

The interior is laden with nappa leather and silver and options include a bangen olufsen sound system...

Now the car was outside i decided to give the engine bay a little spruce up as it was dirty.....

Now this is obviously no slouch in the speed market and the high-revving V8 petrol engine delivers 420PS, spontaneous response and a thrilling engine sound. It punches the R8 through the 62mph barrier in just 4.6 seconds. ....wow!!!

Also the R8’s unique engine position, together with quattro permanent
four-wheel drive, results in outstanding dynamic performance with very high directional stability and enormous lateral acceleration.

So opening the engine compartment a stunning piece of technology stood before me and my aerospace 303.....

All metallic areas were cleaned and cleaner fluided and then waxed

So all plastic areas were cleaned with apc diluted 4:1 and then coated and wiped with aerospace 303

I then went over the rest of the engine bay carefully wiping down everything and making sure all jubilee clips etc were cleaned and polished

until the engine bay looked the best i felt i could get it

I then decided to see what was in the front of the car and realised that this was no car to take the kids to butlins in for the weekend......Luggage room was minimal but then i finally realised that the average r8 driver would probably take a miss on the 2 for 1 offer at butlins minehead and would probably be seen cruising along the french riviera!!!

I was actually quite surprised at how much dust had got into here so using 303 again all areas of plastic were wiped over and cleaned aswell...

The underside was cleaned and quick detailed as i didnt think wax would be beneficial at the time...

I then decided to do the twin exhausts with auto sol.....

giving them a really good clean inside and out

to give a nice finish bar a couple of rock hard areas inside which i wasnt prepared to try and remove with force.....

Lastly i decided to give the car a wipe over with Tims swissvax quick detail spray and my swissvax special cloth

i truly believe this cloth gives the car a small but beneficial improvement as it buffs the wax to a lustrous finish

So now the car was finished i wanted to show Tim the properties of a good wax on a properly prepared paintwork and the bebefits now of keeping the car contaminant free...

so...

WATER TEST ON BONNET BEFORE DETAIL

WATER TEST ON BONNET AFTER DETAIL

As you can see before test shows the water basically just sheets across the bonnet resulting in the water just sitting there and the after shows pure repeling of the water and is one factor i love about a properly detailed car is in the rain how the car is generally nearly dry when you pull up and the fabulous beading that occurs....

so after a fantastic and enjoyable 10 hours....

THE RESULTS

FINAL VIDEO WALKROUND

HeavenlyDetail is offline   Reply With Quote