Detailing World Forum banner

ONR wash demo video

494K views 229 replies 84 participants last post by  A&J 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been asked by a few people to make a short video of how I do an ONR wash, so as I had a few extra minutes today I thought I'd try just that....

This short video shows how I like to use ONR, and is based on loads of tips and advice from much more experienced ONR users. I have included the additional step of using a pre-soak with ONR spray, which I would usually only use on much dirtier vehicles, but thought it useful to show. The car only has a week of light dirt on it, so its not meant to be a demonstration of how effective ONR is, but rather a demonstration in the steps of the process.

The tools:

1. Pump sprayer filled with ONR solution at wash strength - you can use stronger if you wish
2. Bucket with grit guard, and about 2 US gallons of ONR solution at 1oz per 2 gallons
3. Sponge - but you can use whatever wash media you feel comfortable with

So, in brief the process is:

1. Pre-soak the dirty panels with a strong ONR solution via a garden pressure sprayer etc
2. Wring out your wash media so it's still wet but not pouring out wash solution when you lift it from the bucket
3. Wash a panel or section of bodywork, using the lightest pressure and rinsing your wash media frequently to remove accumulated dirt. Continue washing and rinsing until the panel is 100% clean. You should wash an area about 1" bigger than the area you intend to dry.
4. Make a first drying pass with your first drying towel and leave the panel slightly damp and being careful to only make contact with your washed area of paintwork - your drying towel will be 100% clean as the paint was washed clean with the ONR solution.
5. Spray on your QD or spray wax and buff off with your second MF towel.
6. Move on to the next panel or section and repeat the above steps.

See less See more
#2 ·
Having seen this now for real, and this video, its growing on me, seems much more viable than 'Waterless' washing anyway, as the principle of this is effectively the same as most peoples regular wash technique.

I can see it being worth its weight in gold for shows, and may have to order me some. Would there be a huge difference between using ONR, or just a weak dilution with minimum suds of a normal shampoo?

Regards,

Gaz

#4 ·
not sure Gaz - they key is the No Rinse. All shampoos I have used have left streaks if not well rinsed. You could mix up a bucket of this, put a lid on in the boot and do a full wash when you arrive at a show. Anything else would require a few gallons to fully rinse it as well. Glad its growing on you. I cant resist the process now, as it means NO water spotting at all despite my driveway being in full sun ALL day....

#5 ·
I will give it a try using a regular shampoo, as also if you are using a QD straight after, this should remove any streaks/watermarks left, will give it a try at some point this week to see if it works.

In theory, people use Shampoo as Clay Lube, and wipe away with a Microfibre, which is a very similar principal?

#6 ·
Which traders sell ONR stuff, seems ideal for summer months?

Were there any swirl marks at all?

Cheers
Steve

#11 ·
5. Spray on your QD or spray wax and buff off with your second MF towel.
I'm guessing you can make the QD from ONR as well?
I assume this stage is to avoid water spots, or does it serve another purpose.
On a car with a bit more grime would you just use a normal TBM and add a bit more ONR to the wash bucket to offset any dilution from the rinse bucket.

Thanks for the video :thumb:

#12 ·
I think using the QD version of ONR after a ONR wash is a bit pointless, as its not going to add anything you havent already just got from the wash - and ONR does leave behind a little gloss and protection. ONR QD is a good cleaning QD thats useful for using on a dusty car etc that doesnt need a full wash. I use Opt Instant Detailer (OID) or FK425 mostly as they add more slickness and gloss than ONR QD.

For a dirtier car I use the 2BM but no point adding more ONR to the wash solution as it does nothing except waste product - thats according to the maker who you might think would actually encourage you to use more product ;) If a car is really filthy I rinse off the debris first.

#13 ·
Think I may give this a go too. Having finally got a hose, PW and foam lance sorted I realised today what a faff it all is to get it all out, set up, used then packed away again. Not to mention the resource use. So a quicker, easier alternative for routine washes sounds a good idea, especially as my car doesn't do many miles. Have had an eye on ONR for a while now but this gives me the incentive to try it out. The PW and foam would still have their place I think.

#16 ·
Thanks for the video damo:) this is exactly what i need, last year i took two buckets of water with me to a show one with shampoo and one with water and my dad was holding them in the back until we got there:lol: i felt a right idiot watering the car with a watering can then washing and rinsing and drying, i'll be trying this on my dads car first as i don't want to inflict swirls till i get used to how it works:) say if a car is really really filthy would this method work or not? love the colour of your audi:argie: where did you get your garden pressure sprayer from?

G
#19 ·
Great video Damon - thanks for taking the time to do it and put it up :)

I'm sure this will be much help to some users who don't want to spend too long on a car, nor are worried about a few swirls (not that it makes them when used properly anyway!)

#20 ·
Great video - I had a go today, but I was leaving too much wash solution in the sponge, so it wasn't the easiest to dry. I can see I was using too much now, so will try your method again tomorrow. I love the speed of using this product, not to mention the great finish it leaves behind!

What dilution ratio were you using in the pressure sprayer?

#22 ·
Good stuff BP :thumb: Whilst on Alex's site I ordered some Quick Easy Wash to give it a try, unless I've missed something, it seems to be the same sort of stuff and a few reviews on Autopia were promising, so I went for it. The van is swirltastic anyway, it's the convenience aspect that appeals to me, although I don't want to add to the swirls if I can avoid it obviously. Lack of run off is a bonus for the drains, and my feet as well. Not used it yet, but I'll post up my findings when I do.

#23 ·
I have some QEW and have used it a lot Mick. Its good stuff but I dont think its quite as good as the latest version of ONR - it doesnt seem to leave quite as good finish and you need a lot more of the stuff in the wash solution, but at the price Alex is clearing it out at, it makes a decent buy IMHO. I have used QEW for lots of maintenance washes on other peoples cars ;)

#29 ·
not at all, but its one of the advantages and the reason I tried it first of all. In colder weather I have done half a car and then gone back to dry.

Good video Bp, demos the ease of ONR use :thumb:

Only there were a couple of bits of white thread hanging from your shorts.......

Sorry...... that was your legs :lol:
:devil:

#26 ·
Great video and demonstration. Damon.
Hope this help people and highlight the benefits of using ONR.
Terrific product in so many ways, cost effectiveness, volume of product used but most importantly is the volume of water used to clean the car. With no run off.

I have as you know been using it also for a while. Not for water spotting as this is not an issue up here. Due to the soft water. But ease of use and time spent washing and drying. Glad to see you have taken it to the next leave, in applying a protection at the same time. I am surmising that was OCW??

But thanks for taking the time and sharing a well put together video.
Gordon.

#33 ·
Great video, BP :thumb: :thumb:

It's exactly the way I use it as well, but I've still given you a 'thanks' on behalf of DW :D

I use the SP Show Detailer to spray on after the initial 'soak up' of the wash soloution on the panel - works great, but as you say any QD/spray wax would do just as well.

I can see the few traders who currently stock it running out and the ones that don't having to get some in sharpish :thumb:

btw. Warm where you are then is it? Shorts and sandles? :wave:

#39 ·
If you have sealed your wheels, you can use the remains of the wash solution to do the wheels after the main wash. No need to do wheels first - in order to prevent splashing paint - there's no rinsing needed.

If you need to use a wheel cleaner, spray and agitate the wheels, then use ONR from the bucket. Dry them off and you're sorted :thumb:

Die!!!! 1 Bucket!!!!
Seriously?

Damons technique has been proven to not inflict swirls.

Even with two buckets, lambswool mitt and a waffle weave - marring and swirls are going to be inflicted if used incorrectly.

The absolute key with ONR is to use basically zero pressure :thumb:

"....Don't be shy - give it a try :D"

#41 · (Edited)
With this product on a car that's not really dirty, that's not an issue.

takes longer than a good normal wash !!!
No it doesn't.

Oh, btw. Damon, I was going to make this a 'sticky' thread, but I see someone's already done it :thumb:

And which sponge was that - the 'sliced' modified GS or a Z one? :)

#44 ·
I put on a track that I thought would make people laugh ("Crazy") but YouYube deleted the soundtrack for copyright infringement :lol:

Die!!!! 1 Bucket!!!!
perfectly safe matey - bet I inflict less swirls than 99% of the foam and 10 buckets brigade ;)

takes longer than a good normal wash !!!
nope - I have proven I can get half a car done in the time it takes someone to get their PW out, fill and connect a foam lance and get it fired up... It takes MUCH less time and there's nothing to clear up and put away afterwards. I now absolutely HATE having to get out hoses, PW and clear it all up again...

One question i'm guessing the reccomended doses refer to US gallons and not imperial ones , what kind of rations should we use??
1oz ONR to 2 US gallons (7.5L) of water - works perfectly for washing solution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.