Detailing World Forum banner

Ceramic protection for wheels. Problem with repair

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  steveo3002 
#1 ·
When I got my Q7 it came with huge 21" wheels in a sort of anthracite colour. I gave them a coating with C5 and made cleaning them damned easy. However, when I got the car I took out alloy insurance and just had them touched up. The guy who came out had a real problem getting the paint to blend. The damaged part was okay, but he could not get it to blend over the undamaged paint. He came over again a few days later as the repair looked ropey. He did it again and although better, it was not perfect. He ended up bringing the area manager chap out who asked if the dealer had applied any coatings to the wheel. When I said I had used a ceramic coating he suggested that was probably the problem. They sanded the wheels more aggressively than they would usually and it looks better now.
Is this anything anyone else has had a problem with??
I pick up a new car on Friday and don't want to coat the wheels if I am going to have the same problem again. The new car has the same anthracite finish as the Q7 wheels..

Blimey, sorry that was so long.....

#4 ·
The repairer should have twigged straight away that there was something on the wheels affecting the paint, but to be fair you probably should have told him in advance. It wouldn’t put me off using ceramic on my wheels, but it might put me off paying extra for insurance if that’s the kind of muppet they send to do the work. The Focus I bought in January had a smart repair done to one of the wheels and due to the lashings of dressing the dealer put on to the tyres I didn’t see until I cleaned them that there was overspray actually on the tyres, makes you wonder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.