Detailing World Forum banner

Monty ST 2 Fiesta

90K views 378 replies 58 participants last post by  Jmax 
#1 ·
I may as well show you my last two cars (which I'm sure some of you will remember) before I get into talking anymore about the ST.

First off I had a Renault Clio R27, this was a limited-edition Clio 197 which I'd tuned and modified quite*a lot. This was my first hot hatch and I loved the car for the four years I owned it.

Next up I had a Peugeot 208 GTI 30th Edition, this was pretty much what Peugeot were to later call the Peugeot Sport. The car was great handling and had the added bonus of a limited slip diff, but to get the most out of it you had to drive the car on the ragged edge all the time.

I was really enjoying the ownership of the 208, but I woke up one Saturday morning and decided I fancied a change. So, I started looking around to see what hot hatches were on offer in Northern Ireland and I quickly bumped into the Ford Fiesta ST's. There were a few high mileage ones on offer as well as a couple with very low mileage. So, I decided I would go for a test drive and see what I thought of them, that way I could decide it they were for me or a waste of time.

The first dealer I went to were a*complete waste of time, the sales man I spoke to couldn't decide if the car a ST3 in Spirit Blue was for sale or not (even though it was advertised) and eventually when he decided it was, he couldn't find the keys. So, I moved quickly onto the next dealer, where the salesman and staff*couldn't*have been more helpful. They were able to answer any questions I had and were quite happy to take me for a test drive. After a short test drive, I decided I liked the car and knew it was for me. When we returned to the dealership we talked the figures and I told the sales man, I would let him know it a couple of days what I wanted to do. I had another dealer to stop at on my way home, so we called in there to see what figures they were talking, because they had a car which was pretty much identical to the one I had just test driven. After quite a long wait I the dealership I finally got speaking to a sales man and told him what I was after. He was working his sums out when my phone rang and it was the second sales man again. He was keen to push the sale over the line so sharpened his figures a bit and the deal was struck.

Of course, as soon as the deal was struck I started reading through the articles on various forums and my shopping list for the car started to take shape.

A couple of days later I went paid for and picked up the ST, all of which went very smoothly. The car had 3005 miles on the clock when I was leaving the dealership.

Being new to the Fiesta I didn't want to push it too hard from the word go as I knew it would be different from the 208 to drive.

Soon after getting Monty home I gave him his first proper wash. I knew there were lots of areas that the dealer hadn't really paid attention to when they were getting the car ready for me, such as the wheels and brake callipers.

I started off by covering the car in BiltHamber Snow Foam to help break down what dirt there was on the car/wheels.

Of course, I use the two-bucket technique. The was bucket having BiltHamber Auto-Wash in and the rinse bucket having clean water to wash the wash mitt in.

As for the wash mitt, I was using my Microfibre Madness Incredimitt. This is by far the best mitt I've used to date.

As you can see, even though the car had been cleaned by the dealer, even after a short drive home the water didn't take long get very dirty.

I knew it was due to rain later in the afternoon so I wasn't too fused about drying the car off, but I'm still over the moon with how well its looking.

While cleaning the car I noticed that the tail pipe could do with a quick polish up.

I used Autosol and it didn't take long to get it looking how it should be.

I've been looking at the car a lot over the last could of days and I feel the ST badge on the back get a bit lost against the orange of the car, so I'll have to have a bit of a think about changing the colours of the badge.

When driving home from the dealership after picking the car up, I noticed the parcel shelf was vibrating a bit, when I got home I had a look at what was causing this and I found that one of the clips on the shelf was missing. I went onto eBay and ordered a replacement, within a couple of days it was here.

My first proper mod for the car has also arrived. It's a Black Ramair Silicone Induction Intake Pipe, purchased from RamAir on eBay.

I haven't fitted the pipe as yet, as I'm waiting for the weather to improve so I can spend a day give the car some care and attention.

Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
Car looks great. Good write up too. I picked up mine in Molten Orange as well just before Christmas.

I've got the ram air induction hose and crossover pipe too. Makes some nice noises and seems a bit more free revving.

Collins Performance for me next for stage 2....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Car looks great. Good write up too. I picked up mine in Molten Orange as well just before Christmas.

I've got the ram air induction hose and crossover pipe too. Makes some nice noises and seems a bit more free revving.

Collins Performance for me next for stage 2....
What age is yours? Mines just turned one, so not wanting to do a map that would risk voiding any warranty at the moment. Just going to enjoy driving the car pretty much as it is for a while.

They are a brilliant motor, a proper little hot hatch. Best car I have owned by far and I've had mine for 4 years now, and far from bored with it.
Yea my first impressions of it are great. Its completely different from the Clio or the 208. It just begs to be driven hard, plus i'm liking the over boost feature on it when it comes to over taking etc.

Lovely car that! Get yourself a mid silencer delete done, will be the best £60 you spend!
Ummm not sure about modding the exhaust, I had done the Clio and it got stupidly loud because I didn't know where to stop lol.

Very very nice
Love that colour and it'll be a real beauty when you've given it a good going over

:)
Yea theres a lovely fleck to it, I think it'll really pop in the sun come summer time.

That's brilliant, mate. I've always loved Fiestas - since the original xr2.
It's the first Ford I've owned and I'm liking it. I know the motor magazines etc love them and I can now see why.

Reactions: c16rkc
#11 ·
:thumb:

It doesn't make it loud or droney in the slightest. Quite frankly the only time it is ever different is when you hit the accelerator hard!
I might do the exhaust down the line, but in no rush as this is a long term car and I'm not wanting to do everything too quickly as I'd get bored of the car sooner.

Lovely little cars these are. My other half had one before we got the Tiguan. I loved driving it, like a proper little go kart. Once its time for the Clio to go, I think I'll get one for myself. Ours was spirit blue but the Molten orange is stunning in the sunlight isnt it.
The spirit blue is nice, but having had a lot of silver, white and blue cars in my time I just fancied a warmer colour and the molten orange fitted the bill perfectly. Yea its stunning in the sun, but I'm sure it'll look even better when I get a bit of time to polish it. I think a lot of car companies are producing hot hatches which are way over spec'ed for what they should be, driving the Fiesta it just feels how a hot hatch should.

#10 ·
Lovely little cars these are. My other half had one before we got the Tiguan. I loved driving it, like a proper little go kart. Once its time for the Clio to go, I think I'll get one for myself. Ours was spirit blue but the Molten orange is stunning in the sunlight isnt it.

#12 ·
More new arrivals in the post today as I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get out and spend some time cleaning and polishing the car properly.

The touch-up paint is finally here, hopefully I'll not be needing it anytime soon though lol.

Some goodies from the boys at PolishedBliss

New bulbs, although to be honest I think the headlights are great with the standard bulbs. So, I can't wait to see the difference these make.

A cubby hole filler. This was purchased from 3D Hub for less than £6. I couldn't believe I was able to find it so cheap, considering some of the ones on eBay are selling for north of £20.

I just need to decide what way I want to cover the filler now. Should I leave it as is, or maybe put a logo of some sort on it?

As always thanks for reading.

#13 ·
I decided to change the ST logo on the rear of the car to black, and this morning the graphics to do this arrived from DMB Graphics.

I just need to get the car washed and prepped now so I can get them applied.

Yesterday during a brief dry spell, I decided I would fit the Ramair Silicone Induction Intake Pipe.

Fitted and good to go.

Last night I was having a think about the cubby hole and filler.

This is what the useless cubby hole looks like.

I've pretty much narrowed down the ideas for the cubby hole filler to the following…

Leave it the way it's finished now…

Paint it Molten Orange to match the car and then maybe add my reg number?

The Mountune Logo

or the ST Logo

The ST logo would be my least favourite of the picks, because I feel there's already enough of them in the car and another might just be over kill.

What do you all think?

Thanks for reading.

#19 ·
Time to change the headlight bulbs

As you can see there really isn't much room to get my hands in to either remove or replace the bulbs, on either side of the car.

Solution…

I found removing the headlights was by far the easiest and least fidgety way to replace the bulbs. Three screws and they were out.

Of course, when they were out I had a look around for anything I could clean that I wouldn't normally have access to.

So, the water bottle got a bit of a spruce up lol.

Everything back in place now.

I look forward to seeing what difference the blubs make as I thought the headinghts were already pretty good.

Thanks for reading

#26 ·
I'll definitely keep it in mind for down the line, would like to hear one with it done first though to see what I think.

Shame that.....I enjoy RMS but agree there are some folk who really need to think before posting....I try to only post positive stuff, negative gets no-one anywhere !! Best of luck with the new ST :)
Thanks very much, I'm sure we'll bump into each other at a show during the year :thumb:

#27 ·
Unfortunately with the snow pretty much falling every day at the moment, progress on Monty has been slowed a bit.

I can't wait for the warmer weather to arrive so I can get some cleaning time.

When I was working away in the engine bay last week, I did notice these marks on the engine cover...

I have tried various ways to try and remove them, but nothing seems to shift them. I was wondering, I know a lot of people have painted their engine covers, but has anyone tried wrapping them in vinyl?

Thanks for reading as always.

#32 ·
Decided to go with the WD40 option, its getting there slowly.

Before

After

Just needs the finer nits tidied up, will hopefully get them sorted over the weekend

Thanks for reading as always

#34 · (Edited)
I've let the updates lapse a little or late, so this is going to be quite a big one.

I'm still using the BiltHamber SnowFoam, just playing around with the dilution rations to try and find what works best.

This was my first outing for the Fecks Philosophy H2O drying towel, and to say I was blow away with how good it is would be an understatement.

Hanging out with Frenchie, my coupe franche 208 GTI 30th Anniversary

With a brief break from the rain and having just cleaned the car I decided I would treat the glass with some Angel Wax H2Go.

Being just my luck, I was only to get one application applied before it started raining again, so I'll need to get back to this when the weather picks up again.

The water on the car doesn't seem to be beading too badly at the moment, I can't wait till I can spend a bit of time on it when the weather improves.

After reading a few reviews about trim dresser I purchased some Gyeon Trim as it got great write-ups about longevity and easy of application.

Another purchase, this time in the form of foam dental swabs to apply the Gyeon Trim to the rear diffuser.

I decided to treat Monty to some dressy valve caps for the summer and if I decide to go to any shows.

Having had cheap metal valve caps in the past I know not to be leaving htem on the car for any length of time as they'll basically weld themselves in place, so they're going to be an on and off in the same day kind of thing.

I really like this tire dressing and have been using it for a couple of years now, so I decided to top up my stock of it.

I finally got around to applying the logo inlays purchased from DMB Graphics.

I'm happy with how they look, but maybe over the summer I might try either a different colour, of the gel inlay, as they aren't overly expensive.

While the car was clean I decided to try a test area (the rear spoiler) and see how the Fusso Coat Light I had purchased for my Peugeot worked on the Fiesta.

I'll just have to wait for a wet day to see what the results are like.

Time to dress the black plastic fins on the rear wheel arch…

The weapon of choice Auto Finesse Revive

I think you'll agree it does the job nicely, plus it should last between a month or two before needing done again.

I think the next two shots show off the colour of the car perfectly and how it changes when the sun hits it.

Finally some rain to see how the Fusso has worked on the spoiler.

I'm more than happy with the beading, I'll just have to wait till the weather picks up again and I can find a few days where the car won't be needed so I can get it off the road and get it cleaned, sealed and waxed.

Even in the rain I love the look of the Fiesta.

Also, I noticed the beading on the windscreen from the Angel Wax H2Go is still working well.

Still using away at the Fecks Philosophy H2O drying towel, it continues to impress me every time I use it.

As luck would have it, just as I'm starting to enjoy ownership of the car, the first batch of snow hits us and the car is parked up until it passes.

Instead of it passing, it just seems to get heavier. It looks like the cars going to be parked up for a lot longer than first expected.

Of course, what do you do when you're not wanting to take your pride and joy out in the snow? You've got it, surf the net for things to buy…

First up, I purchased the ST front mats that were missing from the car when I got it. I'm definitely going to save these for when the weather improves and keep using the rubber mats that came in the car.

Next up are some mist washers, because I hate the washers that came on the car. They look like a weak stream of ****, so can't wait to get them off.

During the snowy spell, I spent a fair bit of time looking through the forums and Instagram looking at what other people had done to their cars modification/tuning wise and one thing that kept popping up was the MP215 upgrade.

http://www.jmax.co.uk/montyst2/194.png/img]

[img]http://www.jmax.co.uk/montyst2/195.jpg

After reading a lot of the reviews I had pretty much decided that I wanted to get it done, I just couldn't decide if I wanted to get it dealer fitted or go for the kit with the handset and do it myself.

In the end, I decided to go for the dealer fitted option as I couldn't justify the extra money for a handset I would hardly ever use again after the initial install of the software.

To compliment the MP215 upgrade I also decided to have the Billet Quick Shift fitted when the airbox was going to be out of the car.

After driving the car for a couple of days I decided it was struggling to get the new-found power down cleanly, so after a bit of research I found people suggesting upgrading the lower gearbox mount would sort this problem out.

After a bit of research and pricing around I decided to go for the Collins Performance mount, as the reviews were all pretty good and it was by far the best priced out there.

I gave a friend who owns a ramp a call, to ask if I could use it to fit the mount and he was more than happy to help.

While the car was up on the ramp I took the opportunity to make sure the breather pipe for the induction kit was ideally placed.

The old Ford gearbox mount

Old vs. New

It didn't take long for me to get the new mount in place.

The best form of security/deterrent for the Fiesta.

Another Mountune goodie…

A clue as to what is it.

The first sunny spell after the end of the cold weather, time for another clean.

Time to fit the Mountune Lower Spoiler.

When fitting the spoiler, I did feel the supplied screws were just a bit too short, so I opted to go for ones about 5mm longer, just to make sure the spoiler was fixed in place nicely.

I love how it looks on the car, and I'm glad I jumped at the opportunity to buy it when Mountune had if briefly in stock again.

Still playing about with the dilution rates for the BiltHamber Snow Foam. I'm liking how think it's being applied now, and I'm also finding I'm using a lot less of the bottle to cover the car.

Clean once again…

I love my Lego and my girlfriend was nice enough to track down the Lego Fiesta for me, when everywhere seemed to be out of stock.

I also bumped into a Lego Ford mechanic when searching through eBay.

My new mascot for Monty

I still check on a Clio forum I was a member of from time to time and I saw that they were arranging a meet, so I thought I'd tag along and check on how my old Clio was looking.

My old Renault Clio R27, still looking as good as the day I sold it.

The new owner says he's only done 1000 miles since buying it from me.

During the meet one of the guys asked me if I would ever see myself back in a Clio, I told him about how I wasn't overly fussed on the paddle shift in the new Clios and as for my old R27, the nest way I could sum it up was "It's like an old girlfriend, yes looking at it still makes you smile, but I moved on for a reason".

Thanks for reading as always