View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 17,312 Times in 6,418 Posts
Garage
An Interview with Auto Detox

Can you start by telling us a little about yourself?

Hi my name is Barry Davies I'm 41 & live near Lichfield Staffordshire

What else can I tell you about me?

I started detailing professionally almost 7 years to the day this month & after being on DW for almost 5 years ! I thought its about time I did this as this month I have moved into premises for all my detailing work which is kind of a big step.
I like to take my mind off the day to day things with my R1 which is currently in pieces in the conservatory under going it's winter strip, clean, polish & yet to be concluded lsp lol. Love motorbike racing & used to be a trackday addict I rode a full on superstock spec Kawasaki ZX10 C1H ex Peter Hickman bike with a few bits I added myself along with new paint job & Brembo breaks its was always the cleanest & shiniest bike at the track (sad I know lol) but these days I just dont have the time really maybe next year might take it up to Donington for a day out of knee down fun. I have just sold my fully restored Mk3 Gti 3 door non sun roof which I spent a year on prior to that I had a Mk1 golf cab in solid black which was a real beauty. I love a good project to get my teeth into, next year I have my eye on a Leon cupra R for something a bit more modern he he

How did you ‘get into’ detailing?

I found it a natural progression from my valeting work where I cut my teeth so to speak, after about a year I added detailing services to my website & one day after looking back through my diary I had not carried out a valet for 6 months so just took them off & never looked back really

How long have you been detailing at ‘this’ level?

Honestly I don't consider myself to be at any level I just try to put out consistent work to the best of my ability & improve, hence the unit which I know will greatly help me bring myself up to the next level I want to be at so to speak

How did you learn to machine polish?

I did a valeting course many years ago and it was touched on there but not in much detail (no pun lol) so I just went home & practised I know a local bodyshop guy who is very proficient & I picked his brains then practise practise practise you could say mostly self taught

How many cars have detailed over the years?

Honestly no idea, I have about 50ish on my website & another 200 or so on my NAS at home, this is not counting all the ones I never broke the camera out on

Tell me about your first detail

I would say my first proper detail after valeting jobs was a Dodge viper powered truck SST I think they are called ? Not sure to be honest, it was an exterior protection, engine & interior ! I vastly under estimated the time I needed lol took me in the region of 11 hours to complete that truck, huge is not the word ! It was solid red & looked quite awesome when done I was well chuffed & the owner was quite happy too I returned a few years later to do his wifes Lexus for sale neither of us remembered untill I drove up to the house

What do you drive and how often is it detailed?

I touched on this above my daily work van is a Vauxhall combo before this I had a vito, some people rib the combo I think its a great little van much better then the merc, it gets a full detail twice a year & washed once a week. I sold my VW golf about 2 months ago & have a Yamaha R1 in blue (of course) in the conservatory under going detailing surgery at present

What is your favourite car to detail and why?

Porsche for the curves & lines for the inherent sticky paint not so much, I do a fair few Aston Martins & love them very much

Do you prefer to detail a Supercar or everyday car?

I really don't mind at all

What piece of detailing kit do you think every detailer should have in their arsenal? (excluding the obvious stuff like wash mitts etc.)

I have both Positectors & would not be without them but I think the most important thing you can have is the ability to adapt to the car you are working on

What are your current favourite brands and why?

I use a wide variety of brands, I rate & use the JB's products, have been using some AG products lately too, Swissvax & Gtechniq are my foundations as they do exactly what I want them to

What would be your single most important piece of detailing advice?

Keep an open mind & don't be afraid to take a step back if things are not going your way, live to fight another day

What do you do when you’re not detailing?

Looking through photo's of detailing, I love a good writeup with good clear shots of everything & at the moment all my time is being taken up with my new unit may not even make it for xmas pud this year ! I love photography but just don't get the time to do much these days wanted to do a night course next year at the local uni but again time might be against me, once things have quietened down at the new place I will look at doing some me stuff away from work, holiday, trackday, some photography here & there maybe

A few quick fire questions
Ferrari or Lambo ? Lambo all the way
Wax or Sealent ? Wax
Fish and chips or bangers and mash ? Fish & chips at a sea side chippy
McDonald's or Burger King? neither
Coffee or Tea ? Coffee & has to be ground please

Regards
Barry
Auto Detox
-Kev- (31-01-2012), CleanDetail (22-09-2012), Eurogloss (02-05-2012), Gleammachine (09-12-2011), james_death (10-01-2012), Mark@Autobrite (09-12-2011), MidlandsCarCare (09-12-2011), TOGWT (09-12-2011), VIPER (09-12-2011)