Detailing World Forum banner

Ducati 1199s Panigale

91K views 177 replies 45 participants last post by  Andyblue 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently posted the thread below asking about different bikes as I was considering what to get at the time. Needless to say, my research (and budget) grew a little since then.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=369404

So, yesterday, I put a deposit down on a red 2012 Ducati 1199s Panigale. I know some on here know bikes but for those that don't, this was originally just over £20k new and is a 195hp piece of italian gorgeousness. It also comes with a slipper clutch, ABS, multi mode traction control, power modes, electronically adjustable ohlins suspension, steering damper, forged marchesini wheels and quickshifter (I may have missed a few bits!).

This one is pretty much standard and has just over 3k miles on it. Full service history and new Pirelli Supercorsa tyres. Hopefully, I'll be picking it up on 12th March - I just need to arrange a trailer or van for collection as i'd rather not have to contend with London traffic while riding for the first time on 4 years!

Purchases so far are a mammoth ground anchor and chain, oxford disc lock, abba stand and some new handlebar grips. First things to do when it arrives is give it a damn good detail and make it look as it should.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the advert and in the showroom:

See less See more
#4 ·
Stunning dude, I used to have a 748R some years ago (hopefully Ducati electrics have come on since then ;) ) Moved over to jap machines afterwards and since been banned by the wife after one little accident, don't figure. You really can't beat Italian bikes for style.
Congrats on the purchase, you won't be dissapointed

#7 ·
The reviews and the like seem to suggest build quality is up to par so fingers crossed it will be. The electronics package is stunning though so it needs to work! The only concern I have is with the clocks. These have already been replaced under warranty and while they're a newer version, I really don't want them to go again!

I was close to going for a 2012 onward s1000rr but the only reason I would have over the panigale is the straight-line pace. Something that's irrelevant in real life!

Good luck with it
Looks really nice
Get some almax IV chain
I've been out the loop for a while, could you explain?

Beautiful bike mate lovely purchase :thumb:

Had a test ride on one last year and was debating it for ages, but for the sake of not being in the doghouse for the rest of my life I had to pass for the time being :lol:
I chuckled at this as the salesman said 'it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission' when he accepted my final offer without 'ok'ing' it first. Maybe applied here haha. How was the test drive for you?

#15 ·
Stunning Bike...:thumb:

As for security you should look upto 10% of the cost of the bike spent on seurity.

Lots of chains even Thatcham approved don't last two minutes literally with the Big Erwin Bolt Croppers.

The choice is yours But For Home Security I would Look at the Almax 19 and Pragmasis 19mm Big Chain and Locks.

For a carry chain i would still look at the Pragmasis 13mm.

Don't leave the chain on the floor the more resistant to cutting and sawing tends to make them more susceptible to sledge hammer assault but for that they need a solid surface to trap the lock and or chain against.

Really do look into security more you don't want to be left paying for a bike you no longer have.

#16 ·
Stunning Bike...:thumb:

As for security you should look upto 10% of the cost of the bike spent on seurity.

Lots of chains even Thatcham approved don't last two minutes literally with the Big Erwin Bolt Croppers.

Various Sold Secure and Thatcham chains chopped. - YouTube

The Almax Series IV Security Chain - YouTube

The choice is yours But For Home Security I would Look at the Almax 19 and Pragmasis 19mm Big Chain and Locks.

For a carry chain i would still look at the Pragmasis 13mm.

Pragmasis Protector Security Chains - Overview - YouTube

Don't leave the chain on the floor the more resistant to cutting and sawing tends to make them more susceptible to sledge hammer assault but for that they need a solid surface to trap the lock and or chain against.

Really do look into security more you don't want to be left paying for a bike you no longer have.
Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I'm thinking of just returning the mammoth now and going for one of the above - the pragmasis do the anti pinch pin which would be ideal for the rear axle on the Pani.

I didn't mention that the bike also has a road Angel bike trac fitted and I'll be taking out the subscription for it too. At least I might get it recovered if it does actually get carted off. I'm lucky in that you can't see the front of my garage from the road and even when cleaning, only my two neighbours can see it. I'll be looking out for being followed home though, it's a very quiet new road so no one should really be behind me on the way in.

#18 ·
Yes in the house works but i would still lock it up even in house especially as properties get broken in for vehicle keys.

Keep your keys under your pillow...:D

But do enjoy your bike.

Certainly get almax or pragmasis and if i had a bike suitable for the pragmasis pin i would have one.

#21 ·
Went to pick her up today. Borrowed a van off a good mate and made my way down to the dealer 90 miles away. The dealer was having an open day and the Kawasaki H2R was there being run. My god it's loud!

Photo opportunity:

Loaded up:

Sneaking:

Safely home:

The monkey approves!!

I managed about 50 miles on it today after a couple of mates popped round on their GSXR 1000 and 955i Trophy. After 4 years of not riding, the first 5-10 miles were a bit nerve wracking but it wasn't long before I was happy tipping it in.

Next up is the fit the Ducati Performance seat and tank pad, as well as adjust the gear and brake levers to suit me better.

#25 ·
The last two days I've managed to part detail her. Pre wash, two bucket wash, remove fallout, de-tar, clay, blow dry, tape up, machine polish and sealant applied. Matte sealant on carbon, wheels and plastic.

Then fitted a Ducati performance tank pad, Ducati comfort seat and Panigale R decals. Also fitted an optimate lead.

All that's left is a coat of swissvax crystal rock and somewhere to get some decent snaps! A few crappy pics for the time being:

#28 ·
I was fairly happy with the before and afters - after a wipe down:

Crystal rock applied and left for a day.

I buffed it off earlier and rolled it out ready for a quick blast and some photos. And it was dead. Not a bit, but a lot. Battery is all but lifeless with 0.77v. The optimate is now in but I don't think it's recoverable. I'll check it before work tomorrow and get a new battery ordered. I'd like to go for a shorai lightweight battery but my talent won't take advantage of the 2kg weight saving so I'll save my money and put it towards a phone mount and usb lead. Also still need to upgrade my security chain too.

On the subject of unexpected expenses, I lost my seat cover last week on a ride to work - it seems it wasn't clicked in properly. eBay came to the rescue and £75 later I got the replace,net ready for the detail above.

How she is tonight.... Semi naked:

I took the opportunity to check all of the fuses while the battery is off and they're all good so hopefully the new battery will sort it!

#29 · (Edited)
So, as this is designed to be a project type thread, I best update you with recent events. I went to the bike the other day and on turning the key the rear brake lights started flashing in time with both rear indicators. No errors on The dash or anything. The bike started fine as usual but the flashing continued.

Turned it off, got angry and phoned the selling dealer as it's still under 3 month warranty. Trouble is they're 90 miles away and I need to get it to them at my cost to diagnose. Later, once calmer, I stuck my lid on and went down the road close to me. On anything more than a tickle of throttle, the power disappeared and the amber light in the centre of the shift lights came on. The speed then read 0 on the dash before going back to showing actual speed.

Clearly it's electrical, the last time I was out the rain was biblical. My first thoughts are 'really?' But that won't help. I called my local dealer before the ride and they suggested it might be a corroded connector on the ecu. I didn't know about the issues found on the ride at the time.

I searched a few forums online and the errors closely match 'can line' errors and the BBS playing up / corroded connectors. I rang the AA and they arranged to pick the bike up the next day and take it the 90 miles to the dealer.

All was going well as I could see the bike on its way down the M1 according to the tracker. Shortly after arrival I got a call from the dealer telling me there was good news and bad news. The good news was the bike had arrived. The bad news was that the driver lost his balance and dropped the bike on its side unloading it. I was told it was luckily only the bar end and clutch lever that got a scuff.

After speaking to the AA people etc, I popped down today to view the bike in person and inspect the damage. Unfortunately, the service guys pointed out a few more things which had been noticed since. I also had a look round and the current list of damage is as follows:

1. Clutch lever
2. Left bar end
3. Left mirror housing
4. Cracked left upper fairing
5. Bent gear lever
6. Damage from gear lever impacting bottom left fairing
7. Both steering pins on bottom yoke sheared off

Current total is £1450 inc vat for parts only, no labour. An assessor is coming out to view the bike and hopefully the repairs will be authorised sharpish. Pics of damage below:

#30 ·
Oh for goodness sake, you buy something nice and expect the 'professionals' to take care of your pride and joy when transporting it and they go and do that. Sorry to hear that horico, hopefully she will be back with you soon and looking her best again :thumb:

#31 ·
I know mate. It's one of those things but I'd rather it hadn't of happened! I'm over the upset and just want to have it back. At least it will be in fine fettle when it does come back and I know the electrics will have been gone through with a fine tooth comb. Speaking to the service guys made me feel better about it and quite lucky for it to have gone while inside the warranty period. It's normally my luck for this to happen the day after.

The only other thing I didn't mention is that the well known error causes the code reader not to interface as it uses the plug under the tail. This gets its feed from the BBS under the front seat which I reckon is the problem. Also, the battery is now dead at the dealer do the issue clearly killed my battery first - explains the strange circumstance of it discharging on me over a few days. I chatted to the service guys and suggested we could come to an arrangement with them knocking a few quid off some Gucci parts for her!

#33 ·
They're sending an assessor out. We'll see how it goes but from what they've said, if it's damage caused and not anything extra then all should be well. For instance, there's a little scuff elsewhere that was present before. You could try and pass it off but it's just not worth it and not really right to do anyway.

I wanted to go and see it so that everything was done at the same time and I didn't spot anything come collection time and have to go through the process again.

#36 · (Edited)
Well, a small one...

The repairs were actually authorised quite quickly after the paperwork was done. It took about a week to get them authorised. It took a couple more weeks for the garage to diagnose a faulty BBS and they agreed to replace it under warranty. The panels took a while to arrive and when one did, it has marks under the paint so had to be sent back and a replacement sent.

Fortunately, the AA said that they were happy for me to keep the damaged parts so I will. I've asked the garage to leave the old panels on for now and I'll change them over myself.

I was told that the bike was ready for collection yesterday - about 7 weeks after it breaking. It almost feels like I don't actually own a bike after that long without it after only having it lass than a month!

Im having issues with getting back down to pick it up but hopefully I can sort this soon - if it wasn't for the old parts, I could just get the train down and ride it home!

In the meantime, I've made a couple of small purchases to welcome her back! I'll update them once she's home. :thumb:

#37 ·
The Mrs offered to give me a lift down to pick the bike up today and our daughter was great all day. Stopped off at the brother in laws for some tea before getting home and giving the old girl a wipe down and chain clean and wax. Tried my phone mount for the first time to use the sat nav and it was faultless. Just need a Bluetooth earpiece and mic for it and I'll be able to take calls on the bike!

Stop off at the bro's

telferiser ball mount and ram X grip phone attachment

Tucked away after the chain was sorted and quick detailed.

Now I've got a permanent spot in the garage, I can get a correct length chain and axle pin which is better than the mammoth I have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.