Detailing World Forum banner

BMW M5 V10 - Diary

165K views 324 replies 83 participants last post by  williamsclio1 
#1 · (Edited)
25/09/2016

Right so I have decided it was time to get another motor, those of you that use the forum a lot have probably at some point seen one or two of my threads:

Ford Racing Puma (Refurbishment) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=141157

Renault Sport 182 (Refresh) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=348885

Renault Sport 172 Cup (Track project) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=356913

I am getting to the point in life where this year we have managed to purchase a property and are getting married in September of next year, so the next thing on the cards is a family, therefore I need to purchase a new motor more suitable. Luckily I work from home so I have the added bonus that what ever motor I get running cost in terms of fuel is not an issue.

Given that a family car is required and I am a motor head nut there was a few options out there, perhaps a nice 535d, and nice Audi estate anything practical really for a family with a touch of motorsport to it, HOWEVER I couldn't tear myself away from the thought of getting a M5, so after a month or so of looking I found the perfect one, a lot more than I wanted to spend but it had the prefect colour combo and one owner from new with just 42,000 miles on the clock.

Its based in Newcastle which is a long drive from where I live so I have put a deposit down on it and intend to fly up there in a week or so to check over it and then make the 5 hour return journey.

Needless to say I cannot wait to pick it up, its been a car that I have thought about for years and lets be honest with that V10 507HP engine its a poor mans super car ;)

From this purchase it will also mean that I can fully strip the Cup down and have it solely as track car.

I have read a lot in to the M5 and the costs associated with it and possible issues however I have decided to take that risk and its nice to have a lovely modern reliable car.

See less See more
#247 · (Edited)
Did you get the sagging suspension sorted in the end? Or is this the result of not getting it fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was just how the car rests, it varies when parked up have been told could look to replace the shocks but it seems that its similar on lots of the E60 M5's and mines only on 45,000 miles. I'm only changing the front springs rear will remain standard.

#253 ·
13/03/2017

Just a couple of random photos:

Tidy up of the front of the garage:

B cloths washed ready for a new cycle

Have to share this as well, buy some 0000 wire wool and rain X and do as instructed in this video, the results are amazing, the glass literally seems like new:

Going to do the same on my other cars and use it as a standard method now.

#254 ·
Have to share this as well, buy some 0000 wire wool and rain X and do as instructed in this video, the results are amazing, the glass literally seems like new:

Going to do the same on my other cars and use it as a standard method now.
I was thinking only yesterday, driving into work in the low sun, that I could do with giving my windscreen a light tap with a hammer

Might try some wire wool first ;)

Car's looking fine!

:)

#255 · (Edited)
16/03/2017

So then springs are on and so happy with the stance absolutely perfect, huge thanks to Jay for his help.

Before:

After:

No rubbing issues with the 20mm spacers so really happy with the out Come.

For those that are interested this is the link to the springs:

https://www.lowtec.de/en/bmw/m5/e60/3082/lowtec-sport-springs?c=262

My work is almost complete, last touch will be exhaust just to free up the sounds of the lovely V10.

After that it will just be keeping it in superb condition and really enjoying it.

When replacing the wheels today it was clear that front discs are original and in a poor state, there are no braking issues but it's time to have them replaced so early next week I will have to order a new pair, they as with everything with this car aren't cheap but I think I've got a cracking deal £300 instead of £475. :)

#257 ·
Nothing really mate just really been enjoying it and keeping it well mainited and cleaned within an inch of its life. Now on 48,300 miles and I'll be looking to carry out a oil service soon and the BMW £50 general inspection.

If you are thinking about getting one just do it even if it's just for a while it's absolutely brilliant, there is however a possibility that I might in a few month might have to look selling it due to a change in circumstances but I gonna try my best so that I don't have to part with it.

#262 ·
Just bought one if these, god help me! Financially anyways lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah good luck easily 50p a mile and £1+ on start up pretty much sums it up, £45 a month tax and 200 miles max a tank but WHAT a car.

Mine might be for sale in a few months as I the amount I pay a month could go a long way into doing up the house. But we'll see as I really don't want to sell it.

#260 · (Edited)
Well another thing owning a super car everything is expensive, but can't complain it is what it is, sorted some rear OE brake discs, got them for £350 instead of £380+, previous customer couldn't return them back to company after purchasing them as they had some light marks from where he lined them up on his car. His loss my gain I suppose. after doing research perticually on the M5 owners club and FB owners page redstuff pads are the recommend pad for road use. Look to be about £100 a set so a bit more over OE but I think it's worth the extra money.

At least I know these discs are good for another 40,000 miles and given my annual mileage is around 5,000 I'm good for some time. Only thing is the fronts could do with being replaced as well soon but again will be good to know that all discs sensors and pads will be replaced with OE and better pads than supplied from new

#271 · (Edited)
Friday evening after work I decided to fit the rear discs and all went very smoothly, usually with these things you encounter a stiff bolt or some sort of issue like disc retaining screw rounding off but everything went really well and only took about 30+ mins a side.

Now the eagle eye'd of you will notice in the photos that I did original have the disc on the wrong side with the veins facing the wrong way, what was I saying about it all going without issues, any way after spotting the mistake I swapped them over and then went to bed the brakes in.

Brake sensor:

Replaced for an OEM part, it hadn't actually been triggered so it could of been used again but nice to replace and only £12.

Always forget the sheer size of the rear tyres, no wonder its so planted:

Wheels cleaned and treated to some more wheel sealant whilst removed from the car.

Wow what a difference could really feel them pinch better when pushing on the pedal, (not that even with the old ones I was ever found wanting) when it comes to replacing the fronts I will use the EBC red stuff again with the OEM disc.

With is all being fresh in the wheel with the new discs and pads it looks great, the little flash of red from the pads actually looks pretty smart as well as the red of the rear cluster seems to tie-in nicely, but then thats just perhaps my OCD nonsense.

Old stuff ready for the bin:

Next to a front set of discs of my 172 Cup:

In order to get to the brake fluid reservoir you need to remove some of the engine pay trim, whilst removed I cleaned up and treated:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

All done:

Refitted to the car, I also gave engine bay a once over:

Stopped at the M5's most popular place whilst on a trip up to Worcester:

Finally some photos after a 2 hour journey, still looking really fresh, have to say really happy with the noticeable less amount of brake dust on the wheels :)

So whats next, well MOT on Wednesday and then replacement of front discs and pads, once I get the funds together.

#279 ·
You were very lucky with not having any problems with your brakes....I've never yet done brakes and not had some bolt or nut that wont move....on my Insignia it was one of the caliper sliders!!!

and your disks weren't necessarily on the wrong side....my slotted EBC disks have the slots angled towards the direction of travel....people say they are on the wrong way but that's how it says to fit them.

#280 ·
What a lovely car mate, quite tempted to buy one myself. Have you decided on an exhaust yet?

and your disks weren't necessarily on the wrong side....my slotted EBC disks have the slots angled towards the direction of travel....people say they are on the wrong way but that's how it says to fit them.
Actually the slot direction can be different for each manufacturer. The only important thing is to have a look at the internal cooling vanes -> If they are directional you need to get them right. Other than that it's just aesthethics tbh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.