Detailing World Forum banner

My MK5 Golf R32

11K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Nick-ST 
#1 ·
Thought I would do a little project thread for my newly purchased MK5 Golf R32. Little bit about the car, covered 61k miles when I purchased and now just clocked over to 62k. Few very subtle/tasteful modifications (all done prior to my ownership), Edition 30 genuine BBS alloys, exhaust flapper mod, MK6 GTI front splitter and an AMP underneath the passenger seat powering all speakers.

Now here are a few snaps from when I purchased her a couple of months ago :)

More to follow

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice. I really love the R32, one of the the last of the hot hatches with a decent sized engine in them. I don't care that 4 pots can put out nearly twice the power now, there's something about the sound of the R32 which is worth more than extra power.

I considered the R32 five years ago but ended up going for the 3.2 TT. I still have the TT and will be keeping it forever but I kind of wish I had an R32 as well. The TT, although the same engine, is just another plain TT wheres the R32 will always be a bit more special.

#4 ·
So today was my first opportunity since purchasing to give the R a proper detail. We began at around 9am, car wasn't particularly dirty having been washed a couple of weeks ago.

First step was to spray the car with TFR followed by a pressure wash. No snow foam this time as my lance is in pieces waiting for a new gauze filter.

Next up the wheels were cleaned with a mixture of wheel woolies and fallout remover, followed by a pressure wash.

Next up the car was washed using the 2BM with Gary Deans perfect shampoo

Then given another thorough rinse. Followed by a spray of Auto Allure tar remover all over. There was hardly any spots of tar to no photos worth showing.

Quick rinse then shortly followed Auto Allure iron fallout remover, again minimal amounts of fallout on the car.

This was followed by Bilt Hamber regular clay all over the paintwork, then a quick one bucket wash and thorough rinse.

Then it was time to break out the Das6 Pro along with white hex logic pads and meguiars ultimate compound. It was only a basic one stage correction as that is all there was time for. Upon closer inspection afterwards it definitely needs a two stage correction with a fair amount more cut.

More to follow

#5 ·
Whilst my helper was machine polishing I thought I would give the glass a quick going over with an old clay bar and treated with a combination of RainX and H2GO which I have put on either side of the car as a comparison test.

Once the whole car had been machine polished we then gave it a coat of Fusso

After buffing off the Fusso we then rinsed the car down with the pressure washer I gave another new Auto Allure product a go, Rapid coat

The final protection results are quite frankly fantastic. I haven't seen beading like this in a long time!

Now for the all important after photos :)

The photos don't do it any justice. Shame the sun didn't make a breakthrough until this evening. Will try and get better after photos tomorrow if we see some sun. The massive amount of swirls are now gone although the light scratches are still there but as I said before I will do a proper two stage correction at a later date. But for now I am happy :)

Thanks for reading!

#7 ·
I love this car. I went to see one a few years ago (58 plate) and did not buy it as a bit scruffy.

Then last y ar when looking at 3 cars - R32, Civic Type R FN2 and the car I bought, Lexus GS450h, I looked closely at a black 56 plate with recall bucket seats etc.

Somewhere in my mind I still hanker after one.

#8 ·
I love this car. I went to see one a few years ago (58 plate) and did not buy it as a bit scruffy.

Then last y ar when looking at 3 cars - R32, Civic Type R FN2 and the car I bought, Lexus GS450h, I looked closely at a black 56 plate with recall bucket seats etc.

Somewhere in my mind I still hanker after one.
I was the same been having an itch for one for a good 3 years. Nearly bought this exact one 18 months ago but missed out on it by a matter of hours. When it came up again there was no way in a million years I was going to let it go this time! She really is immaculate for a near 11 year old car!

#28 ·
Lovely car! In the best colour!

I like an R32 at some point.
Get one you won't regret it! Sense of occasion everytime you drive it!

Great work fella cars immaculate I'm hoping too buy one of these cars in next 6-12 months, did you get the dsg or manual ??
Mine is DSG. Absolutely love it, got the paddle shifters if you want the sense of a manual but I think I have only used them a handful of times in my ownership so far. Mine is actually currently up for sale as me and the wife have found ourselves a new house, sad times!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.