Detailing World Forum banner

myblackbeetle entry

85K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  zippo 
#1 ·
Vicky Ellison - 2001 VW New Beetle Cup 1.8T

Ordered new from a German VW dealer over 11 years ago and lovingly cared for by hand with lots of water and soapy stuff ever since. Never been machine polished or wet sanded.

Like to keeping it looking clean and shiny but motorsport themed (body and engineering, including race engine) so designed to be driven - and it is!

Goes out in all weathers and not just in UK - a regular visitor to VW / tuner shows in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and occasionally Austria.

500+ miles to Europe in the pouring rain a speciality (especially this year!!) so have to expect the odd blemish.

Prep includes:
Bodywork soapy rinse, clear rinse, hand wash, rinse, dry

Wheels off - washed, dried, polished & sealed

Wheel arches, suspension, exhaust, brakes - cleaned and polished

Underbody cleaned (as far as can be reached!)

Bodywork hand polished (a couple of times if I get the time)

Windows cleaned inside and out

Interior vacuumed & cleaned, leather surfaces cleaned and fed

Engine detailed

Tyres dressed

Vicky Ellison's 2001 VW New Beetle Cup 1.8T

Outdoors in Belgium

Indoors in Germany

SEAT Sport engine as originally fitted to Cupra Cup series race cars

Left hand drive with VW New Beetle RSi details and Audi RS4 steering wheel

Custom made front brake and suspension detail

Beading on the Baltic coast, Germany

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the kind words - the bodykit is from Volkswagen Racing UK and the two piece forged wheels are BBS RS-GT from Japan in 8.5" and 9.5"x 20" in 5x112pcd.
"I don't normally like Beetles but......" - how may times have I heard that since owning mine? Always makes me smile so thank you:thumb:

#46 ·
Thanks for the kind words - the bodykit is from Volkswagen Racing UK and the two piece forged wheels are BBS RS-GT from Japan in 8.5" and 9.5"x 20" in 5x112pcd.
"I don't normally like Beetles but......" - how may times have I heard that since owning mine? Always makes me smile so thank you:thumb:
dam i hate being predictable,but credit wheres its due that is a smart looking car that even a pillock like me can see its had a lot of money, time and love shown it
darren
smile away :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D think its fair to say you've earned it :thumb:

#29 ·
The VW Racing bodykit was sprayed by Normandale and fitted in 2005 so the paint on the two bumpers, four wings and side skirts is four years younger than on the central metal 'tub' which is original from 2001. The bonnet and boot were de-badged in 2002, the roof was de-aerialed at the same time. The car isn't a daily driver, doesn't come out from October to March and is garaged. When it does come out it tends to cover very large distances into Europe (1200 miles+) over a long weekend, often in terrible weather. The car has blemishes, marks and scratches - it was built to be driven after all. The weekend before Waxstock will see us in Holland at the MIVW show where as usual we will prepare it in the car park using a cold water tap, the products we take with us and a lot of techniques we've picked up over the years from watching far better detailers than us. We are always open to ideas, suggestions and recommendations made to us at shows - maybe we just get very advice from other enthusiasts?
Thanks for the kind words by the way, very much appreciated :thumb:

#35 ·
Our car uses 10 of the RSi body panels but not the two spoilers on the tailgate. The RSi came with a 3.2 V6 4wd 6 speed and was limited to 250 cars worldwide. Ours is 1.8T 2wd 6 speed but with a SEAT Motorsport engine. You can see the differences when parked behind a relatively normal New Beetle (this was in Belgium on Monday afternoon).

Tuesday morning first thing after 1400km for the MIVW show in Holland with 41°C on Sunday afternoon and Sahara rain storms on Sunday night.

Best get busy I suppose - really looking forward to seeing everyone and their stunning cars on Saturday - Vicky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.