Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 21-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #61
-Raven-
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,595 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppo32 View Post
Does it have to be a sealent?
Take a look at OCW (Optimum car wax) it's a sprayable wax that looks fantastic and is so quick and easy to use.
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/optimum-f...ons-p-167.html
That's got sealant in it too!

Fantastic stuff!
-Raven- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #62
msb
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,209 Times in 975 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyh90 View Post
i'm surpised no one has mentioned auto finesse tough coat which is meant to be a great spray sealant, although i'm not to sure on its compatability with SRP
I agree toughcoats great, but i wouldn't actually class it as a spray sealant, its loads better applied with an applicator
msb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #63
Chris@Optimum
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Trial and error over the last two years is where my info is coming from, it will apply over most things but the polymers wont cross link properly with the paint and will effect durability.
Opti-seal is probably the most solvent heavy lsp on the market so will remove at least some if not all glazes applied beforehand.
Optimum themselves admit Opti-seal dissolves wax. Waxes are quite tough compared to glazes which have no durability and are easily removed with solvents.
Put it this way the solvents in Opti-seal are that strong you can even remove small tar spots with it.
I'm not saying it's a bad product as it's not and i still use it regularly. What i'm saying is that it will remove glazes and filler heavy cleaners such as SRP.
I may be of some assistance here, gentlemen. Opti Seal's carrier solvent may very well break the bond of your existing coat, but when used as directed it will position it's self on the paint and allow the previous to redeposit atop the Opti Seal.

To clarify, per directions would mean to wipe on and walk away. If you "work" the product or buff the finish while wet you may remove the base product while in it's limbo state before it readheres to the Opti Seal. If only "wiped on" and left to cure for 24 hours, there should be little or no loss of your base...it will be redeposited atop the Opti Seal. Any smears can be easily wiped the day following the application, but will be a non issue if used sparingly as directed (smears are from overapplication).

With that said, there are some incompatable products that may have conflicting polymers, but waxes should never be a problem and most hybrids will still work fine.

NOTE: I was asked to comment on this thread and am not suggesting our product over another as I am an employee of Optimum...only to offer product information.

Last edited by Chris@Optimum; 22-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Chris@Optimum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #64
Hoppo32
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
If only "wiped on" and left to cure for 24 hours, there should be little or no loss of your base...it will be redeposited atop the Opti Seal.

With that said, there are some incompatable products that may have conflicting polymers,
The above quote is the point i'm trying to make. The Opti-Seal will remove glaze/cleaners from the paint and maybe deposit them on top of the Opti-seal. So whats the point in using a glaze with it then, the glaze wont be on the paint anymore, it will be sat on top of the Opti-Seal and will be removed first wash.
So my point still stands in that most glazes/cleaners are dissolved by the solvents in Opti-seal.
Imo Opti-Seal works best on bare paint, this way the best bond and therefore durabilty are gained from what is an excellent product.
Hoppo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #65
Chris@Optimum
Unwashed Member

Quote:
The above quote is the point i'm trying to make. The Opti-Seal will remove glaze/cleaners from the paint and maybe deposit them on top of the Opti-seal. So whats the point in using a glaze with it then, the glaze wont be on the paint anymore, it will be sat on top of the Opti-Seal and will be removed first wash.
So my point still stands in that most glazes/cleaners are dissolved by the solvents in Opti-seal.
Imo Opti-Seal works best on bare paint, this way the best bond and therefore durabilty are gained from what is an excellent product.
You've almost got it, the carrier solvent isn't on long enough to "dissolve" any product...only break the bond to the paint. And, when it redeposits atop the Opti Seal it should bond to the Opti Seal is the same manner as it did to the paint (not coming off with the first wash) because glazes/waxes are applied with solvents too. Usually, if there's a loss of product, it's from wiping/buffing OS instead of just wiping it on and leaving it be. I certainly agree with you that the best bond and durability from OS comes from applying to freshly prepped paint, though.
Chris@Optimum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #66
audigex
Washmitt Meister

Do you clean the interior? Why not do that while waiting for the egp? I found it only needs about half an hour, although leaving it longer does no harm.
audigex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #67
srod
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Always do the interior first me!

I've ordered some Power lock - looking forward to trying it out.
srod is offline   Reply With Quote