Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
haz619
Washmitt Meister

Steam Cleaner Help:(

Hello all, iv posted here before about a business that im planning to setup, it will involve renting a few spaces in a supermarket car park. Anyway, i was initially going for a pressure washer but they wont let me use a PW in their car park so, i am now looking towards external (and internal) steam cleaning.

Here is where i am stuck..

I have done some research on steam cleaners, watched a few youtube demos ect. What i need is a steam cleaner that will do the job. I contacted a company here in Ireland who do steam cleaners and i was looking at either..

http://www.aquaclean.ie/products/216...20Cleaner.html

or

http://www.aquaclean.ie/products/215...20Cleaner.html

The man on the phone told me that neither of these would be suited to washing a car as they would loose pressure after a few mins when the steam gets low and it refills itself with cold water from the second tank. So effectively i would not be able to wash an entire car in one go, so he says. Instead he moved me onto this machine (diesel) and said that would do the job, though this machine is almost 4k.

http://www.aquaclean.ie/products/287...mer%20Evo.html

Also this drinks diesel, 3.4liters an hour works out at about.. 6 quid an hour considering that its going to take 20? mins to wash the car providing its not filthy. That would take a fair chunk off the top of the profits.

How do steamers work exactly as regards to car valeting? And what kind of one would i need to get to do the job? Reasonably priced ofc.

Thanks for reading, can anyone give me some advise on this. Or recommendations what type of machine i could use, i know there are quite a few people on this forum that only steam clean cars. Any help would be appreciated.
haz619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
AllenF
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,178 Times in 896 Posts
Garage
The only steamers i ever saw that were any good were still pressure washers.
You can do a LOT of damage with a steam cleaner.
This is why people jumped on you last time and told you to do your homework. Because they are guys that know there stuff.
This is the reason they go round with an ice cream tub and shopping trolly.
You would be better off revising your plans and going mobile. Stay away from the car parks too big too quick. Get mobile get a couple of forecourts up and running then build from there.
AllenF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllenF For This Useful Post:
haz619 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
haz619
Washmitt Meister

You can also do alot of damage with a pressure washer, i have an opportunity in a prime location that might not be available forever so my current plan is to take it. If however that plan fails for whatever reason. Then i plan on going mobile

I just need advise on equipment, people jumped on me last time about my business plan and there was some good points and advise, but i do know how to run a business

I know that the people know their stuff, a hell of alot more than me. Most of them are experienced and enthusiastic about what they do. Thats the reason i registered on DW

Last edited by haz619; 04-03-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
the_jj
Washmitt Meister

if your going to do it do what AllenF said, go mobile! better money and you can use a jetwash.
If you want to do the car parks get a watering can as people dont expect a perfect job for a few quid.
the_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_jj For This Useful Post:
AllenF (04-03-2013), haz619 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
AllenF

Garage
Mobile to start then car parks are about four steps up.
Start with the wash and go rather than the comebacks because you havent done it well enough.
When your ready to do a car park employ a load of chimps and franchise it to them?
I dont wish to be rude but last time you were told to get a proper business plan up and do your homework.. Which you said you had done. Surely you would have found out straight away about the no PW rule.
Could use a hosepipe on a jiggle valve???????? At least its something to flush the crud away.
How are they with your coshh sheets and effulent runoff.what about electric??? What voltage will they let you use. Extension leads???? The list is endless mate too much aggro. Unless your the type of guy that doesnt care.

Last edited by AllenF; 04-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllenF For This Useful Post:
concept2 (18-05-2013), haz619 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
haz619
Washmitt Meister

The Drainage was ok, just further into the talks with the chain they didnt want a power washer, maybe they had some past experience? There is an electricity box rite next to the site, i am getting a private meter fitted to it and will pay the company directly for my usage.

Just out of interest the_jj how do you reckon there is more money in mobile valeting? so much competition and so many expenses such as advertising, diesel servicing ect. I mean including the driving time assuming ur busy all the time how much money could you make? I understand that you will have extra options such as driveways, patios, ovens.. But you will also have no passing trade only word of mouth, unless you drop loads of money into leaflets. Just curious
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
AllenF

Garage
No its more word of mouth.
A written van with you doing a decent job on someones driveway.
A decent website
Good diary management
Thats what brings you work
BUT you have to be able to deliver top results first time every time.
Its all about confidence.
With decent diary management you will always have work where as in a car park your stuck doing wash and vacs all day. For peanuts at that. People WONT pay top doller for a car park when they can drive out of the car park and let the scratchem boys do it for a fiver. People wont wait around for three or four hours at supermarket ( most have a time limit now anyway). Think seriously and level headed about it and mobile makes a LOT more sense and money. The van is basicly tax deductable so it doesnt cost any more
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
witcher
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenF View Post
No its more word of mouth.
A written van with you doing a decent job on someones driveway.
A decent website
Good diary management
Thats what brings you work
BUT you have to be able to deliver top results first time every time.
Its all about confidence.
With decent diary management you will always have work where as in a car park your stuck doing wash and vacs all day. For peanuts at that. People WONT pay top doller for a car park when they can drive out of the car park and let the scratchem boys do it for a fiver. People wont wait around for three or four hours at supermarket ( most have a time limit now anyway). Think seriously and level headed about it and mobile makes a LOT more sense and money. The van is basicly tax deductable so it doesnt cost any more
Have real doubts about your assessment. I am not saying you are wrong, but you might lack a bit of local knowledge and reality of haz situation.

First of all crappy quick washes work in Ireland and work very well. People are only interested in "clean" car - wetted, went over with sponge and some liquid, wetted again - that is the standard here, no one would expect more.

There are few mobile valeting businesses in Ireland cause -again- people do not care. I see cars worth several thousand of quids queuing to be served by the lad with powerwasher and dirty bucked with a sponge - it is grand.
("it is grand" is specific Irish expression - means no matter how horrribly makeshift or primitive certain arrangement is as long as it works).

I am not sure that haz has skills and experience to do top quality job, and even if he had, would his customers appreciate the final effect?

All in all I believe he would be better off working on some supermarket parking, although if they do not like him to use powerwasher is a bit worrying to say the least.

Just the idea for you haz why not try and do this business at some large high turnover petrol station, they are more used to dealing with people working around cars?

As final suggestion/observation for you haz - contrary to so called common knowledge, leaflets do not work.

Last edited by witcher; 06-03-2013 at 01:05 AM.
witcher is offline   Reply With Quote