Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > The Official DetailingWorld™ Review Section > Tools / Towels / Other
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Brian1612
DW Reviewer

Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,639 Posts
Detailingworld™ Review -Carpro EcH2o

Introduction

Firstly a thank you goes to Craig over at CarPro UK for the opportunity to test the newly released waterless wash/QD concentrate, EcH2o. This will be my first experience of any products from the world renowned ceramic coatings brand and also my first review of a dedicated waterless wash.

For any further info about CarPro and the products they offer, click the link below to visit the website:

https://carpro.uk.com/products/ech2o1l

The Product

CarPro’s EcH2o waterless wash & quick detailer is a relatively new offering from the US based company. I will say right now that living in the UK means my experience of waterless washes is rather limited. It is certainly a product I have never considered using as a substitute for the good old 2BM wash. Within the UK waterless washes aren’t any where near as popular to use here but I am aware that due to water usage limits in the hotter climate states of the US, these waterless wash products are very popular across the pond.

Although I have read quite a bit about waterless washes and the risks of them, I come into this review with a completely open mind and look forward to seeing what EcH2o can offer as a product. It is after all developed by one of the most well-known and respected brands in the detailing industry, that is more than enough to qualm any doubts I may have about waterless washes.

CarPro have provided 2 x 50ml sample size bottles which due to the concentration levels of this product, was more than enough to allow me to thoroughly test it both as a waterless wash and QD. The product was vibrant blue in colour and the viscosity was similar to that of paint. The scent took a while to identify but I came to the conclusion it was lemon & lime scented.

Hopefully Craig can confirm whether I am right or not.

The product description for EcH2o from the manufacturer is as follows:

EcH2o is an entirely new waterless cleanser and gloss-enhancer built on 2 years of research and development by CarPro Chemicals! EcH2o was designed to work in harmony with ceramic coatings and even provides easy cleaning of non-coated or waxed surfaces! Based on a SiO2 hybrid framework and an eco-friendly organic lubricant solution, EcH2o safely cleans and glosses a variety of exterior vehicle surfaces with ease!
Paint and chrome take on an entirely new level of gloss and reflection with this incredible formula and better yet it is easy to use even in extreme heat and direct sun on painted surfaces! Our solution to providing a swirl free and eco friendly waterless experience is a blend of proprietary lifting agents combined with natural organic extracts and lubricants.

The secret to the safe cleansing abilities provided by EcH2o is a combination of its modified high gloss SiO2 component and its innate cleansing abilities, which easily removes dust and light dirt whilst leaving behind a wet, glass-like surface! The finish left by EcH2o mimics the incredible properties that have become synonymous with CarPro SiO2 sealants and CQuartz coatings throughout the years!

In conjunction with a quality microfiber towel, the lubricants aid in safely removing the larger particles from the surface while the remnants of the EcH2o solution become an active cleaner across the surface and begin to loosen any particulates that were left behind. Before the final step (noted in the product directions) the solution may dry to a fine haze indicating it is ready to wipe off any remaining product effortlessly!

Features:

• High Gloss SiO2 Hybrid Detail Spray
• Incredible waterless wash!
• Also excels at rinse-less, & clay lubricant
• Safely cleans without swirls
• Works great even in direct sun
• Eco Friendly
• Amazing on chrome
• Excellent on rubber and plastic trim - Does not stain
• Fast & Easy
• Versatile, works well on many materials
• Works great on both coated and un-coated vehicles

Dilutions:

• 500ml makes up to 8 litres of (1:15) Waterless Spray
• 500ml makes up to 13 litres of Quick Detailer (1:25)
• 500ml makes up to 20 litres of Clay Lubricant (1:40)
• 500ml makes up to 100 litres of Rinse-less Wash (1:200)

EcH20 can also be used as a rinseless wash and clay bar lubricant looking at the product description so it seems a very versatile product indeed.

The Method

I decided to test EcH2o as a Waterless Wash and QD which conveniently made 2 x 500ml spray bottles of waterless wash and QD. Following the directions provided equated to exactly 50ml (1 sample bottle) of product needed. The waterless wash required 31ml (1:15) and the QD 19ml (1:25) making EcH2o extremely cost effective. Distilled water was used for both these mixes to achieve the best results possible, it's cheap and can be bought from any supermarket so it is worth the extra expense.

As you can see the car wasn’t terribly dirty, at least on the top half.

It was a thin film of dust/dirt that was actually quite difficult to capture in a photograph.

The lower half was substantially more contaminated though as you would expect. I would think generally speaking waterless washes aren’t designed for this level of dirt but more light dust from several days of dry weather. I think for the purposes of this review and to gauge how it cleans, this should give a clearer indication of cleaning power. Grabbing a plush MF (which should aid in reducing the risk of scratching) and the EcH2o waterless wash mixture, I applied the solution liberally to half bonnet.

I also decided to soak one side of the cloth in waterless wash solution to make this as safe as possible.

As per instructions the plush towel was then lightly passed over the paint, top to bottom in straight lines. Feeling wise I have to admit it didn’t feel grabby and it wasn’t making any worrying noises during these first passes. Observation of the towel after the first pass on half the bonnet certainly showed the product had plenty of cleaning power.

This was then repeated a second time as per the instructions provided with another fresh side of the cloth. This time the amount of dirt lifted was greatly reduced and I was satisfied after this pass the panel was now almost 100% clean.

As expected the waterless wash left behind a streaky film which I allowed to dry for 2 minutes.

A close up shows it more clearly, it almost looked like the hazing of a cured sealant.

A fresh plush Korean MF towel was used to remove this haze. Little effort was required and it actually buffed the paint up to a surprisingly crisp and reflective finish. Removal of this haze was easy, impressive given the warm conditions and direct sunlight.

A comparison of each side of the bonnet showed the clear difference and revealed how effective the waterless wash mixture was at lifting dirt.

There was one or two tiny, more stubborn spots of dirt it didn't remove but overall I was impressed, they were so small the camera couldn't capture them even on close up. I couldn't see any obvious signs of straight line scratches either so it seemed safe to my eyes.

I carried on using the waterless wash on the rest of the bonnet using the same method and also gave it a run out on the more heavily contaminated lower sections of the car. It had no issues with these more dirty sections either and still felt slick as it passed over the wings, confirming EcH2o to have some serious cleaning power.

With the second pass very little was left behind, just like on the bonnet.

On glass this was a pleasant surprise. Using the remnants of waterless wash, a few mists were applied to the glass and cleaned in the same straight line motion as the paint. No special glass cloth was used here with the same plush Korean used to remove the haze, again with minimal effort.

It left the glass pristine with absolutely no streak marks as you can see here in this 50/50 shot.

The QD was then used on the cleaned panels and left me fairly impressed with the finished results. As a QD it did what was expected of it, it was slick on the paint, was slick to spread and also flashed off reasonably quickly when buffed. It also offers superb economy due to the product supplied being concentrated. I don't expect this to offer much in the way of additional protection/beads and I couldn’t see any increased beading/sheeting on the bonnet from use. I do think this was a perfect final step to accompany the waterless wash to catch anything you may have missed during cleaning.

Worth noting that with the instructions saying 'apply liberally' I used up the full 500ml quickly. With the waterless wash, the 500ml of solution didn't go very far and only allowed me to clean the bonnet, lower front bumper, two front wings and the windshield. I suspect around 1L of mix will be required (61ml) to clean a complete car, possibly more. Although not tested here a rinseless wash may be a more economical method of cleaning the car with only 25ml required per 5L of solution.

Price

A 500ml bottle of EcH2o concentrate will set you back £11.99, excluding P&P. This is around the average price you would pay for a typical QD of the same size which cannot be diluted. This gives EcH2o a big advantage over similar products in QD form. As a waterless wash there isn't a huge amount of competition, the main competitor comes in at a similar price for a little less product. Dilution ratio's are also very similar.

Would I use it again?

For me personally this method will never replace the popular 2BM wash we use here in the UK. The issue is the climate, we get a lot more rain and our cars become much dirtier than what some areas of the US are subjected too. As this type of wash is really only safe on lightly soiled cars, the scenario in which it could be used it likely rare.

I think one scenario where this product does excel is car shows. I would sooner use this as a rinseless wash/waterless wash when parked up at a show than a QD as I do believe it handles soiling better and is much safer. Simply take 2 buckets, your wash mitt, your bottle of EcH2o, grab a few litres of purified water from the supermarket and performing a safe wash after driving to an event is simple, even in direct sunlight you won't have to worry about streaks/water spots thanks to the mineral free water being used. If like me you attend these shows, you really should have a bottle of EcH2o included in your arsenal.

Conclusion

I only know of one other product I can compare EcH2o to and it holds up well in comparison. It is similarly priced, performs as effectively and offers slightly more product for the money. The only draw back I can see when compared is the hazing which requires you to buff off, something the other product does not require. Overall though EcH2o does exactly what you would expect from it and it does it well. If you are in the market for a waterless/rinseless wash or simply want an economical QD product that provides a simple gloss boost and nothing more, grab yourself a bottle of EcH2o.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions!

DW has followed the Manufacturer’s Instructions and accepts no responsibility to any circumstances arising from any member using these products or following this test.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
chongo (26-07-2017)

Tags
carpro, ech2o, rinseless wash, waterless wash