Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > The Official DetailingWorld™ Review Section > Wheels / Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 16,223 Times in 5,938 Posts
Garage
Detailingworld™ Illuminate Car Care Tyre Revival Gel

Review done by Member dchapman88

Detailingworld Review – Illuminate Car Care Tyre Revival Gel

Introduction

Firstly thanks to the guys and gals over at Illuminate for sending over the Tyre Gel for review.

Illuminate are new on the DW scene with a varying range of their own branded products from Glass to Wheel products and Polishing to Protection.
They can be found at: https://www.illuminatecarcare.co.uk/shop for the full range of goodies.

The Product

The bottle arrived looking very similar to the one shown on their website: https://www.illuminatecarcare.co.uk/...re-revival-gel
Bright green gel with no real scent, looking very thick when moved in the bottle itself. Handy 'push lid' style dispenser for easy use of the product.

Illuminate say about the Tyre Gel:
"Tyre Revival Gel is the best product to use to make your tyres look and stay like new. This is a water based non silicone dressing, excellent for rubber and plastics inside and out the vehicle. While as it’s a gel, it eliminates the mess of sling, drips and streaks."

The Method

So first things first, the car I was trying this out on was a 2017 Mercedes CLA, given 2 weekly washes and was due this today, so perfect for a test!

The wheels were in a rather dirty state to begin with so were washed in the normal manner, tyre's given a good spritz of APC also and a good brushing until they were coming up clean.

They were then left left looking like this, tyres are black, but with no sheen or gloss about them what so ever.

The Illuminate guys then say on their website to:
"Apply product with a applicator"

So I chose a foam applicator I had in the garage. This is a nice thick gel and sat on the applicator with no issues.

After the first coat it was then wiped down with a MF and allowed to dry as per website instructions

I decided I wanted to try and get a bit more gloss from this product, so after I allowed the first coat to dry into the tyre I applied a second
Nice 50/50

And then the finished wheel, not wiped down with a MF but just allowed to dry naturally as per website guidelines:

"leave to dry for a glossy finish."

The website says:
"This is a water based non silicone dressing, excellent for rubber and plastics inside and out the vehicle."

I thought id give this a go.
A 50/50 of the windscreen scuttle panel with 1 coat of the gel applied.

Now for me this is the disappointing part.....
After the second coat on the tyre's had fully dried in this is what was left.

All in all I was a little underwhelmed with this. I was really looking for the glossy finish and after the product dried in the gloss was completed gone. Although it did leave the tyre much deeper and richer in colour. I know Tyre dressing is subjective and some prefer a more Satin look which this does achieve.

Price

The website shows the prices at:
£ 4.29 for 250ml
£7.49 for 500ml
£11.99 for 1000ml
So buying in bulk is defiantly the way to go if you want to try this product and save yourself a few £££ in the long run.

Would I use it again?

Unfortunately the answer here for me is a no. I like my Tyre products to leave me with that extreme wet look gloss finish and this just couldn't deliver that.

Conclusion

In conclusion this is not a bad product at all and I can see the appeal in it and how it would be right for certain people. If your looking for deeper and richer finishes on your tyre's and trims then this really could be for you. It applies really easily and wipes off with no hassles giving you more confidence that you should ever suffer 'sling'. It is a nice thick gel giving you increased usability.
All in all a very competent product, just not right for me.

"Detailingworld reviewer has followed the Manufacturers Instructions and accepts no responsibility to any circumstances arising from any member using these products or following this test "