Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Daily News Zone Want to keep up with whats happening in the Automotive industry - Check back here daily.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #21
MSwiss
Sponge Jockey

Personally not a fan but dare I put my neck on the block and say I didn't like the old defender either.

We had two, one nicked (the second had 2 goes a being stolen) and that broke down constantly, yes it was great off road but other than using it for a farm vehicle, well I wouldn't choose one for a Sunday cruise as you might not get from A - B and be stuck in the middle waiting for the AA!

Hopefully the new one will be more reliable but -
MSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
Jue
PC Perfectionist

I also agree with The modified Skoda Yeti comment. It’s a no from me
Jue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
ollienoclue
Orbital Oracle

Never in the field of automotive history has such nonsense been talked about a vehicle.

For some reason there are a peculiar bunch of LR Defender fan types who categorically cannot take off their blacked out ski goggles and see the truth about the Defender.

The thing is positively archaic and needs a complete rework from the boots up. Seriously, it's basically a tractor from the 1950s without a PTO shaft.

People will tell you all kinds of legendary nonsense about Defenders.

Utterly reliable, utterly unbreakable, indestructible in a crash, the ONLY vehicle that could possibly 'off road' in the history of the world.

I am sorry to burst the bubble folks but that is entirely a load of old sausage meat.

I have worked and lived with these bloody things on and off for years. I have assisted LR owning nutters who take great pride in dismantling them and off roading them.

They are singularly one of the few automotive products I can think of that fails so well in every category.

It is a complete myth that no other vehicle can off road. Go to Australia or North America, and you categorically will not see a single Defender. Yet thousands of indigenous folks use their own vehicles for serious (as in 100 miles from anywhere) off road utility use. Furthermore, I can tell you, if you drive a Defender off road on the usual road biased rubber, it will get 10 feet and get stuck just as with any other vehicle.

Similarly, if you believe that the Defender is the safest vehicle in a crash, I would invite you to see one that has been rolled as I have seen.

This concept looks a step in the right direction. Yes it is a lot more cutesy in styling but the packaging will be better and I sincerely hope they do make the Defender into a sub-brand a bit like the Mini. It will sell like hot cakes, never find it's way into anyone's hands outside of Chelsea and be all the better for it.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ollienoclue For This Useful Post:
insanejim69 (06-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #24
packard
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Ummm..

Many different genres merged into one.... yes I think
packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #25
Bulkhead
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienoclue View Post
Never in the field of automotive history has such nonsense been talked about a vehicle.

For some reason there are a peculiar bunch of LR Defender fan types who categorically cannot take off their blacked out ski goggles and see the truth about the Defender.

The thing is positively archaic and needs a complete rework from the boots up. Seriously, it's basically a tractor from the 1950s without a PTO shaft.

People will tell you all kinds of legendary nonsense about Defenders.

Utterly reliable, utterly unbreakable, indestructible in a crash, the ONLY vehicle that could possibly 'off road' in the history of the world.

I am sorry to burst the bubble folks but that is entirely a load of old sausage meat.

I have worked and lived with these bloody things on and off for years. I have assisted LR owning nutters who take great pride in dismantling them and off roading them.

They are singularly one of the few automotive products I can think of that fails so well in every category.

It is a complete myth that no other vehicle can off road. Go to Australia or North America, and you categorically will not see a single Defender. Yet thousands of indigenous folks use their own vehicles for serious (as in 100 miles from anywhere) off road utility use. Furthermore, I can tell you, if you drive a Defender off road on the usual road biased rubber, it will get 10 feet and get stuck just as with any other vehicle.

Similarly, if you believe that the Defender is the safest vehicle in a crash, I would invite you to see one that has been rolled as I have seen.

This concept looks a step in the right direction. Yes it is a lot more cutesy in styling but the packaging will be better and I sincerely hope they do make the Defender into a sub-brand a bit like the Mini. It will sell like hot cakes, never find it's way into anyone's hands outside of Chelsea and be all the better for it.
Yep - I have seen one whilst off-roading over here. One solitary Defender among thousands of Land Cruisers and Patrols. You only have to look at the history of Land Rovers here in Oz. As soon as the Land Cruiser came out, the Land Rovers were just trumped in every area. Land Rover as a company were bailing out the road car division so no funds were going into development. As a consequence, the Defender that has recently ceased production was not too dissimilar to an 80" from the early fifties! All I can say to those with rose-tinted specs is enjoy your rusty chassis and bulkhead, enjoy the metal corrosion on the doors, enjoy the water dripping on your head, the cramped and uncomfortable interior, the noise, the smell of transmission oil, the leaking engine, gearbox, transfer box, front swivel oil seals and diffs, rejoice in the nasty plastic interiors of later models that somehow make it worse than bare metal of the Series I and IIs. I loved my Landies and spent years putting up with these issues. I still love them but they are not relevant anymore. I am always amazed at how my Land Cruiser can handle so well on road and be so capable off it, even with fairly mild all-terrain tyres. It's what Land Rover should have developed but didn't and that makes me angry.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote