Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Photography Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Photography Zone Digital Photo Techniques/Tech Help

Old 06-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #21
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_the_great View Post
Morning All,

Totally agree with what people have said, No point having a big flashy camera if A you dont use it or B you can't use it .... without trying to sound big headed I've had my trusty bridge for a number of years (circa 5) and I can take pretty good photos get better all the time everything is manually adjusted and hence the upgrade it now can't do what I need. (I will see if I can get on dropbox)

I've got a couple of books which have helped greatly.

Currently im looking at the Cannon 750D with one STD lense vs Olympus O-MD E-M10 Mark III comes with 2 lenses short and long (this is only due to prospect of 25% discount). In my mind the Cannon offers greater back up and support but is now a 2015 model and it is pushing the budget, the Olympus is this years model but maybe not as well support from my searches.

Thoughts?
Hi Tom

Commenting on the Canon option - the 750D is an okay body to go for, the 760D is slightly newer and looks to be a similar price, if you can stretch your budget some, then if you are looking at the xxxD range, the 800D would be the one I'd opt for.

If you can't stretch to a new xxD (say the 77D), I'd be tempted to look at 2nd hand slightly older model...

My only issue with the xxxD range is that I think from what I've read about what you're wanting to do, is sometime in next 12 months, you maybe wanting to upgrade it to an xxD range - just something to think about. As I said, I still have my 40D (superb camera) and went full frame the other year and haven't looked back, I hummed and aarghed about a 7D, but decided I wanted fun frame and saved up a bit longer to be able to get the new model...

A
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
Tom_the_great

Not had chance to read the latest replies will do so ASAP but thought I’d quickly pop on and try post a link to my drop box photos (may no be the best but not bad imo)

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mthoc5o00...LFMXl7WTQvGfZa

Constructive feedback welcome of course ��
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #23
jr2007
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Hi Tom

Commenting on the Canon option - the 750D is an okay body to go for, the 760D is slightly newer and looks to be a similar price, if you can stretch your budget some, then if you are looking at the xxxD range, the 800D would be the one I'd opt for.

If you can't stretch to a new xxD (say the 77D), I'd be tempted to look at 2nd hand slightly older model...

My only issue with the xxxD range is that I think from what I've read about what you're wanting to do, is sometime in next 12 months, you maybe wanting to upgrade it to an xxD range - just something to think about. As I said, I still have my 40D (superb camera) and went full frame the other year and haven't looked back, I hummed and aarghed about a 7D, but decided I wanted fun frame and saved up a bit longer to be able to get the new model...

A
If the money is there the 80D is a better buy than the 77D, you get a lot more for your money (same higher capacity battery as the 5D mk iv/6D/7D mki and ii, 100% viewfinder, decent weather sealing, autofocus down to f8 on the centre autofocus point, etc) but if you are finding your feet the 750/760D/800D gives you everything you need to take great quality photos without breaking the bank.

You are likely to find you want to buy a wider array of decent lenses rather than upgrade the body as you expand your photography skillset. Both the XXXD and the XXD ranges are great at the hobby level and by the time you feel ready to invest in the professional level gear (7D/6D/5D range or if you feel flush the 1DX range), you are likely to have a decent range of lenses/flashes/etc. that you can use with the upgraded bodies.
jr2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
Andyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2007 View Post
If the money is there the 80D is a better buy than the 77D, you get a lot more for your money....

Yes don’t dispute it , but Toms original budget if I remember right was up to £600, but could be increased if required. The issue with the 80D is cost compared to what his budget was, bearing in mind he needs lens or 2 as well...why I suggested maybe looking 2nd hand if he couldn’t stretch to say 77D (was issued as an example xxD body).

Hopefully he can increase his budget and get what he wants...
Old 07-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #25
Tom_the_great

Hi all,

Thanks again for more info and advice

Looking at some of the cameras here they are a little out my price range... the 760D is no doubt the top end escpically with a lense but well have to wait and see.

I'm still torn between the two with a slight lean towards a Canon over the Olympus.

Does anyone have a good review on a photography forums ? uk based.

As for second hand are ebay such the best place ? or is there a common site people use?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
Andyblue

I’m on Talkphotograhy and it’s a very friendly bunch and some great help / advice on there..

Decide what you def want initially - if you can, try to pop to the likes of Jessops etc and have a play with different bodies / makes etc and see what you like.

One thing to remember about the xxD range they are bigger than the xxxD range, so may feel nicer / fit better in your hands or not as the case maybe.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #27
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,828 Posts
Garage
I have a full m43 Olympus outfit:

OM-D EM-1
12-40 2.8 PRO zoom
45mm 1.8
17mm 1.8
75mm 1.8
60mm 2.8 macro
50-200 2.8-3.5 Four Thirds zoom + adaptor to m43

Everything bought 2nd hand off eBay, never a problem with any of it

The earlier comments about the best camera being the one you have with you is spot on. I found once I had children, I never took my Canon out with me as if I wanted to take even one extra lens along with me, it was all too big and heavy. With the Olympus, I can take the body, batteries, and all the lenses listed above bar the big zoom, in a bag smaller and lighter than I would have needed for the Canon and just one lens...

Depending what you are doing, the size and weight may or may not be offputting. But remember that ultimately the gear is only a tool, there are tradeoffs whichever system you decide on. Once the camera has a basic level of capability, it's your vision, creativity and technical execution that determine the quality of the pictures, not the camera. In a thread in the Showroom, when someone's car looks amazing, we don't all pile in and say how great their pressure washer / machine polisher / wax applicators must be - the appreciation is and should be for the skill and hard work of the detailer. All too often I have heard "oh you must have a very good camera" as if that is all it takes to take good pictures - this couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited by steelghost; 07-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,828 Posts
Garage
As an afterthought - if you like the idea of smaller gear the Panasonic range is well worth a look, especially if you're at all interested in video. Plenty of lightly used DMC-GX8 bodies available on eBay for sensible money, leaving you with budget to spare to pick out a lens. Bear in mind that M43 lenses from Olympus will work on Panasonic and vice versa - it's a proper multi-vendor standard.

I should also mention - there's no point in buying an interchangeable lens camera unless you intend to acquire at least a few lenses. if not - you might be better served by a good quality "bridge" camera like the Sony RX-10, available for very nice money now, or maybe the Canon PowerShot G5 X if you would l ike to stay with Canon.

Last edited by steelghost; 07-12-2017 at 05:51 PM.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #29
Tom_the_great

Thanks again for the replies I'm going to sign up to forum you mentioned Andy.

I did a little searching last night on ebay and found this ? not too far away from me in York.

Thoughts worth the money due to the lenses etc? or alot of things ill never use? as its really streching my budget.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...kAAOSw2-BZd0mM

i'll be out in leeds at the weekend so will go to a few shops get some cameras in hand
Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #30
Andyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_the_great View Post
Thanks again for the replies I'm going to sign up to forum you mentioned Andy.

I did a little searching last night on ebay and found this ? not too far away from me in York.

Thoughts worth the money due to the lenses etc? or alot of things ill never use? as its really streching my budget.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...kAAOSw2-BZd0mM

i'll be out in leeds at the weekend so will go to a few shops get some cameras in hand
See you've signed up

With regards to the 760D you've found - personally, i think for what you're after it's over priced, you're buying stuff that you don't want need at the moment and aren't sure about the quality...

You can get a brand new 800D and lens for £749, bags aren't expensive and tripod - well you really need to decide if you want one, not much help for motorsports...