Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 21-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #171
LewisChadwick7
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,355 Times in 942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo310 View Post
I've used a tiny bit on one small panel but not enough that I feel I could write up a genuine opinion on it. Like you, I've got so many to use I just haven't got round to using it properly yet!
i'll try get some used then, i've loved everything OW that i've tried so far just dynasty and pheanna to try now that i've got waiting
LewisChadwick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #172
Leebo310

LSP's What have you used and how would you rate them?

This is what my Hybrid 86 looks like. It's pretty much dry to touch and feels "gritty".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leebo310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #173
JayOW

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,610 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo310 View Post

This is what my Hybrid 86 looks like. It's pretty much dry to touch and feels "gritty".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get in touch with us, if it's a problem with the wax then we will replace it for you.

Jay
JayOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JayOW For This Useful Post:
Leebo310 (22-06-2017), PaulWT (26-06-2017), Typeroz (22-06-2017), Welshquattro1 (22-06-2017), Wilco (22-06-2017)
Old 22-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #174
mrbig1
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvEr_KiLL View Post
blackfire black ice

soft and smells very chemically like black shoe polish. used on my black metallic and really makes the flake sparkle, certainly doesnt mute it! plus it gave great depth! easy to apply and buffed off very easily, cant remember the cure time though because i did the swipe test...say a few mins on a sunny day? really like this wax so far and it should give me 5-6 months with qd top ups, but we will see as its only been on for 1 and a half months now. 9/10 excellent wax!
Good for you this wax worked charm with you.
For me however, I was pretty disappointed, I guess I was looking forward to it and expecting to perform well but the end result was little short of what I was expecting and plus this wax attract dust like crazy from creating massive static electricity. I will take another visit later sometime to see if any foul play was involved on the first time using the Black Ice.
mrbig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #175
OvEr_KiLL

Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
Good for you this wax worked charm with you.
For me however, I was pretty disappointed, I guess I was looking forward to it and expecting to perform well but the end result was little short of what I was expecting and plus this wax attract dust like crazy from creating massive static electricity. I will take another visit later sometime to see if any foul play was involved on the first time using the Black Ice.
what was wrong with it? its a great wax and gives very good depth and flake,, i used it on top of prima amigo glaze with no problems and top up with blackfire midnight sun instant detailer as a drying aid

Last edited by OvEr_KiLL; 22-06-2017 at 03:33 PM.
OvEr_KiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #176
OvEr_KiLL

Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,231 Posts
got 3 months out of black ice on top of prima amigo before it started wearing off...it bonds better to blackfire stuff, gloss enhancing polish, wet diamond all finish paint protection from what ive read the polymer in blackfire stuff is fussy.
going to try gloss enhancing polish then wet diamond all finish paint protection then black ice around september time ready for winter
OvEr_KiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #177
Wilco
Warning contains metal

Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,119 Posts
Britemax Extreme Elemants 2.0 8.5 I'm not a massive sealant fan and maybe that's reflected in my rating. Its probably deserving of a higher mark. EE 2.0 is very very easy to use, its almost like applying a glaze and then leave it to cure for a decent amount of time. I left it for about an hour and then added a second coat later in the day. It leaves a very reflective sharp finish, it beads really well and sheets clean very quickly. The only reason I took it off my car was I wanted to apply a coating for winter. I'd be interested to know how long this would last as a stand alone.

Amethyst8.5 So this is my winter protection. It seems thicker than coatings I've used previously and spreads very well. Its a pleasure to work with or it was in the conditions I used it in. 10c with curing time of around 4-5 minutes. I like it, beading and sheeting are excellent as you'd expect with a freshly applied coating. Its not cheap though almost twice the price of some of the competitors for a similar 50ML. I was disappointed in the packaging too, just a loose bottle loose suede's and applicator pad thrown in with the rest of my order leading to the suede's being covered in bits. Just to compare I bought CQuartz at the same time. Half the price and everything neatly in a box. Shame the packaging is such a let down as the product is good and deserves better IMO.

Remax 8 I wont be using this as a stand alone but it will be going over the top of Amethyst post washing, Indeed I've three coats of the stuff on already. Very similar to competitors offerings in this section. If you use much of this it will streak, all sprays of this ilk do so I decanted into a 50ml mist sprayer and don't have that problem now. Great as a drying aid and beads/sheets well when applied sparingly over the coating. I think its good but I wish someone would bring out a game changer in this segment as they all seem so similar.

Last edited by Wilco; 12-11-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wilco For This Useful Post:
Leebo310 (22-12-2017), martec06 (23-12-2017), mrbig1 (17-11-2017)
Old 16-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #178
Deep blue pearl
Unwashed Member

What a fantastic read !
Will read again at some point
Deep blue pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #179
Leebo310

LSP's What have you used and how would you rate them?

Few more added to my post -

Auto Finesse

Tough Coat

Really, really impressed with this. Absolutely effortless to use, ridiculously easy to buff off no matter how long you leave it for. I even left a small panel overnight (although ashamed to say not actually deliberately!) and it still removed unbelievably easily. The slickness it leaves is stunning, and really made the silver paint look sharp. Even my wife noticed how much better the panels coated with it looked than the panels coated with Desire and even Illusion. I didn’€™t tell her I’d used different lsps on different parts of the car (mainly because she wouldn’€™t have known what lsp meant, or even really have cared ) only just asked which parts of the car she thought looked the best and all the parts she said were the ones coated in Tough Coat.

You get through hardly any either so even at full price of £20 for 250ml, it’ll last a long time.

Speed of use is another massive bonus, spreads so easily that it’s very quick to do even a large car with a couple of coats.

The only downside is the beading. As you may have noticed from my other reviews, I am partial to some decent beading and Tough Coat although beads, can’t compete with a wax for this, hence the docking of half a point. Saying that, it sheets well and cleans very easily so earns points for that.

Durability it is holding up well on my own car, but was only applied a month ago. The others I’ve applied it to were both pre-sales for friends so have no idea how those are holding up

Cannot fault this really and would've scored 10 had it given me some better beads. It’s so quick and easy to use with excellent results that if it had better beading, I could honestly say I’d pick it above any other lsp.

Tell a lie, I’d also perhaps like it to smell a bit better. A raspberry scent rather than the WD40 one it currently sports would be a welcome addition please AF
9.5/10

CG

Blacklight

Underwhelmed by this, no matter how many times I give it “just one last chance”. Big fan of Todd Cooperider so after reading his glowing reviews of it, I was very eager to give it a go. Yes, it's easy to apply and remove but fails to me on a lot of the things it’s supposed to do. The surface is slick to a degree, but compared to Tough Coat above it’s miles behind. The beading (I use that term loosely) is pretty awful, even immediately after application. The durability is poor, although quite hard to gauge as the beading is so bad to start with (I’m aware that beading isn't technically any indication of true protection but that's about all I have to work with).

Doesn’t really give much of an increase in gloss either and there are much better filling products out there.

The only thing I’ve found it’s good at is as an all in one on a light polishing pad by machine. Soft black pillars etc where you want correction but also some protection left behind are pretty much the only time I’ll use it now.

3/10

Migliore

Strata coating

Expensive for what it is, but the gloss levels are absolutely brilliant. I applied to a red Aventador and the paint literally looked like liquid you could put your hand in. Ease of use is probably medium I’d say. The product video suggests it’s a lot easier than it actually is, whereas I found that it definitely required more buffing than shown. Curing times are more forgiving than other similar style coatings so that’s a bonus, but durability suffers because of this. Decent and only really started to trail off after 6 or so months but given certain waxes and spray sealants can get close to that, I didn’t really think it was worth the extra effort of Strata coating. Saying that though, the finish cannot be faulted and is one of the best I’ve used.

7/10

Cima sealant

Lovely to use and gives a nice wet finish. You can literally wipe on and walk away, although I always go for a second buff just to be sure. Beading is good for a spray sealant and durability is actually pretty decent too. A month or two realistically can be achieved, although I generally only use it as a stop gap between a proper protect, or on a sale car that only really needs to look nice and shiny for a few days. As per the Strata coating, it's expensive for what it is though, not to mention quite hard to get in the UK.

7/10

Last edited by Leebo310; 05-01-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Leebo310 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leebo310 For This Useful Post:
dave-g (29-12-2017), Kyle_241 (22-12-2017), martec06 (23-12-2017), steelghost (22-12-2017), Wilco (23-12-2017)
Old 28-01-2018, 01:41 AM   #180
BradleeBennett
Unwashed Member

One of my favourite threads, thought I'd add my thoughts:
Auto Finesse Illusion - Easy to apply, even easier to buff off. The finish was good, beading was very good for a show wax as was the durability. I just felt the finish wasn't up to the standard of other show waxes I've used. 7.5/10
Auto Finesse Fusion - A very easy to spread wax with gave a glass like finish. The finish is more of a Sealant glassy look. I'm just not particularly a fan of this look. 7/10
Auto-glanz Synthseal - Does what is says on the tin - Its hard to describe just how easy this is to use and it certainly adds a glow to the paintwork whilst offering good water behaviour and decent enough durability. 7/10
Auto-glanz Aura - I received a sample pot of this when I placed an order. I love the scent and so was looking forward to using it. However I just wasn't that impressed, it spread ok and removed ok whilst leaving a decent enough finish, Synthseal for me is a much better offering from auto-glanz. 6/10
Blackfire Midnight Sun - A good honest wax, easy to apply leaves a nice enough finish and at a decent price point. I feel like I would benefit from investing in the whole blackfire system to get the best out of it as it just didn't wow me. 7/10
Bouncers Capture The Rapture - Very easy to use reminds me a lot of Illusion but for me leaves a better finish at a better price point 8/10
Bouncers Check The Fleck - One of my favourite waxes, ease of use is incredible and the clarity and metallic fleck it gives to the paint is unreal. For me the best bouncers wax I've used as the finish is perfect for my metallic paint. However I often use this in winter as well, I've found the water behaviour to be impressive and durability approx 2 months. 9/10
Bouncers Sherbet Fizz - Lovely Sherbet scent and very smooth soft wax which seems to spread forever. Leaves a nice enough finish not quite up to show wax standard and durability wasn't massively impressive. However that's not to say this isn't a great wax and I still really like this as it's just a pleasure to use. 8/10
Chemical Guys Jet Seal - Very easy to apply but that's where the positives end for me. Didn't last very long and water behaviour was poor at best. 3/10
Chemical Guys Petes 53 - Stupidly easy to use and leaves an incredible finish can't knock it for the price point as long as you don't expect it to last more than a month. 8/10
Dodo Juice Blue Velvet - Never got on with this wax and stopped me from buying any more dodo waxes. Found application and removal more difficult than any other wax I've ever used and the finish wasn't up to what I was expecting. 4/10
Mitchell and King Show Car Winter - I was expecting a lot more from this wax, applied ok and buffed off ok. The finish was decent enough but did nothing to wow me and durability wasn't particularly impressive either. 6/10
Swissvax Onyx - Very nice summer wax, picked up a 50ml pot and can't complain for the price. Finish is very warm and water behaviour is very impressive for the short time it lasts. 8/10
Swissvax Mirage - For me this is just a slight step up from Onyx and gives a better finish and better water behaviour with a bit of added durability. However I'm not sure it justifies the price increase. 7.5/10
Obsession Wax Ariana - Seemed to give my car a much deeper look, I wouldn't say a wet gloss but definitely darkened the paint a lot. This wax just feels special to use, spreads easily enough and water behaviour after is much better than I expected. 8.5/10
Obsession Wax Dynasty - Ridiculously easy to use, possibly the easiest wax I've ever used spreads for miles. Sheeting is great and durability is good lasted me 3 months combined with a show wax finish this is a winner for me. 9/10
Obsession Wax Icon - My go to winter wax. The sheeting and beading is the best of any wax I've ever used, application and removal is effortless, for me the most impressive obsession wax I've used. 9.5/10
Obsession Wax Zeal - For the price you really can't knock this wax 200ml glass jar at the price point as well as being effortless to use and leaving a nice finish. 7.5/10
BradleeBennett is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradleeBennett For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (28-01-2018), Leebo310 (28-01-2018), todds (28-01-2018)