Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 31-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #31
nbray67
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,559 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
After reading that very article a few weeks ago too, I bought this...

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...0250&0&cc5_150
£2.79 with "xmas" code
Thanks for that pal, just ordered some for when I put the summer wheels back on in a few weeks.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #32
nbray67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
Thanks for that pal, just ordered some for when I put the summer wheels back on in a few weeks.
After seeing a 50% offer from ECP, it's only £2 on there incl delivery if anyone is interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
camerashy (02-01-2018)
Old 31-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #33
Caledoniandream

Just a bit of a warning (yes I have a fetish with wheels always worried that they come loose or don’t come off at all)
Be VERY careful with lubricating wheel nuts / bolts and their mating faces.
As said here before most manufacturers state torque settings for dry threads, lubricating the treads can multiply the force on your wheels, with chances that your mating faces dig too deep in your alloys, or deforming flanges and brake discs, causing vibrations when braking.

When I was an apprentice in truck mechanic (40years ago) we where teached only to use old engine oil for wheel nut threads as the additives in new oil would lubricate the treads to much and causing the bust to become undone.
This was the times that trucks had different threads on the off-side than on the near side (near side had left handed thread)

Knowledge and technology have become so much more advanced in the years and even in truck wheels are now torqued up with dry threads.

Last edited by Caledoniandream; 01-01-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caledoniandream For This Useful Post:
camerashy (02-01-2018)
Old 31-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #34
RedUntilDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I used to own a MG Midget with rostyle wheels. As soon as the steel bolt touched the alloy it would lock. It didn't matter how much force was applied the bolts would not move.
Unfortunately it also meant they came undone whilst driving.

They needed some lubrication to allow the steel to slip against the alloy.

On my current car I just leave two bolts in on the last few threads and hit the inside of the tyre with a rubber mallet.

Recommendation please for the silicone grease you are using?
I clean the mating surfaces of discs, hubs and wheels and assemble dry.
Lots of publications in the auto trade about wheel and brake vibrations due to new discs/pads when in fact the problem has been poorly seated discs and wheels due to lack of prep, cleanliness. Excess lube can attract debri or can't be forced out and mating joints don't seat flush.
I service my own cars and regularly make and brake these joints so I know they will come apart. Not everyone will do this I know.
Wheel nuts and studs, clean and dry only and dry torque.
I have worked in moulding and used a few anti seize compounds which I trust to work and are suitable for dissimilar metals in extreme conditions . I will use a smear of one of these on things like calliper pins, hub centre. Never bought a specific product myself

My old man (65) was a mechanic turned heavy plant fitter working on the motorways and they only applied a light smear with your finger of copper slip. Sometimes wheel studs got a bit but that depended on which machine it was. Copper slip was the norm back in the day. Vans and cars in the fleet always had dry wheel studs.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #35
nbray67

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
After seeing a 50% offer from ECP, it's only £2 on there incl delivery if anyone is interested.
I was just about to email CPL as I've never rec'd the goods. Just checked paypal to find no payment sent so I logged into CPL to find it still in my basket!! Old age and all that.

Bit of a bonus as I've just ordered via ECP instead for £2 delivered!!

Definitely checked out this time.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #36
ianrobbo1
The Jokes Man

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,522 Posts
Garage
I'm a big fan of ACF lubricants, the high temperature grease in this case, should be used sparingly "less is more" and certainly not on the wheel nuts, I've lightly used this grease on plenty of cars, and had no problems getting the things off or them coming loose!!
ianrobbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote