Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > Health & Lifestyle Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health & Lifestyle Zone Suited and Booted ,Grooming, Personal Care, Health, Shaving , Aftershaves , Clothes , Watches and more

Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I have suffered with dermatitis for over forty years since just after I started working on cars. I had never had a problem before but once it started I could not get it to go away with creams, careful washing etc. The top layer of skin on my hands used to fall off almost weekly and they were permanently red raw.
Barrier creams did help minimise it but it was always there
The solution for me has been, gloves, gloves and gloves in different types. vinyl, nitrile, latex, breathable open backed, cloth, leather, extra long etc. Whatever is most appropriate for the task I am doing.
I go everywhere with some in my pocket, buy them in 10s and 20,000s and wear them for any thing that involves getting wet, oily, fuel soaked, solvent soaked, dry powders and the like, in fact anything that contaminates my hands.
It is unavoidable occasionally and I can get caught out.
Now if they ever show any signs of itching, I run them under a cold tap for 10 mins and then try to have a sleep and keep them cold so that I do not rub them together until whatever is causing it, subsides.
Scratching the itching is a mix of pleasure and pain. Great whilst I do it but I pay for it later because my fingers and hands become very swollen, really painful, sore and almost unusable. I honestly think scratching is the worst thing you can do, so I avoid it to extremes.
If I find my hands getting dry I rub in Vaseline and wear gloves while sleeping. I find Vaseline really good and much better than E45 but it is greasy.
My hands are now so sensitive, if I pick up a whole chilli and rest it in my palm, I start to sweat.
I have a mechanic friend who has just developed dermatitis. He is in his 30s never used to bother and laughed at me wearing gloves. He doesn't any more.
After trying countless different gloves, he does not really get on with them. He has also tried lots of hand cleaners and the best thing he has found, for him, is coal tar soap. It is the only thing he now washes his hands with. Bars of soap everywhere.
Whilst he still suffers it does appear to have minimised the inflammation and red cracked patches are much less but still there none the less.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 01-01-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #22
Rayaan

Thanked 1,034 Times in 805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Thanks for the offer Wayne. At the moment, the only thing that sets it off is washing the car. Doing the pots, showering,washing hands as normal doesn't seem to affect it. The minute after I finish washing the cars, I want to pull my hands off. The itching gets so bad at time, I sometimes interlock my fingers and move my hands so it scratches the itching between my fingers. Not good I know but it does provide some relief. Apparently when it's bad, I don't in my sleep as I've woken the wife a few times.....

Will see what the doc says.
That's quite interesting and would tend to suggest a product may be irritating that bit of skin on the hands making it worse

I'd try isolating the products and giving them a test to see. Most likely it's shampoo as it would have prolonged contact with bare hands unless you wear a glove
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #23
Njs71
Washmitt Meister

Garage
A very interesting thread.

I have recently suffered with some sort of dermatitis or whatever it is on both my ears my elbows and on top of my hands. My ears are the worst, drives me mad with the itching and I too wake my other half at night when I start scratching in my sleep. I've had this for 3 or 4 months now and after trying various creams to relieve/ cure this I'm finally giving in and going to the doctors.

So my advise is go and see your GP for a proper diagnosis or you'll end up wasting loads of money on creams etc that don't work.
Njs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
Big Bri
PC Perfectionist

Had psoriasis since i was a child,along with dermatitis.I have Tried everything over the years with various levels of effect.Problem is,i haven't found a magic cure.They come back.Wish a Month in Tenerife was on my GPs Prescription list.Clears it up a treat.Downside,i then get Prickly heat if i dont take antihistamine.
Dont use the following on your skin as a cure,your own urine in a morning,Bannana skins dried or fresh,neet paraphin,bath in Tomatoes[spanish ones],pure sea salt,maggots,Preparation XXX ointment [loads of these creams around and they dont work].Some say avoid meat from The Pig,Eggs,cheese,and no coffee......list goes on.
With the hands i found Vaseline[petroleum jelly] at night realy does help.Cover hands in it,then put Sandwich bags on your hands or Wrap in clingfilm while in bed[sexy or what].Avoid washing up liquid and similar products.I use coal tar soap mainly or Dove in a morning.Before i use a steroid cream if the blistering is bad.
Doctors is your first step,trial and error probably your next.

BB
Big Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bri For This Useful Post:
JJ0063 (11-04-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #25
Paul04

Have you tried dream cream from lush?
Paul04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #26
rubberducky1957
Washmitt Meister

I've had contact dermatitis for the last 30yrs but now under control. Creams have never worked for me due to wearing nitrile gloves at work. Hands sweat and the cream turns into a rancid sweaty mush no longer able to act as intended and possibly having the opposite effect. Any contact with water - out in the rain, shower, bath and its gone in a blink anyway. I can recommend Diprobase ointment a Vaseline type emollient containing white soft paraffin and liquid paraffin. Basically Germolene without the Phenol content. Supermarkets and pharmacies stock it. Doesn't contain lanolin like many treatments do which can cause irritation on broken skin. Persistent, doesn't wash off easily, absorbs readily, and doesn't remain greasy. But the main defence as already said is gloves, gloves, gloves.
rubberducky1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #27
Pauly.22
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberducky1957 View Post
I've had contact dermatitis for the last 30yrs but now under control. Creams have never worked for me due to wearing nitrile gloves at work. Hands sweat and the cream turns into a rancid sweaty mush no longer able to act as intended and possibly having the opposite effect. Any contact with water - out in the rain, shower, bath and its gone in a blink anyway. I can recommend Diprobase ointment a Vaseline type emollient containing white soft paraffin and liquid paraffin. Basically Germolene without the Phenol content. Supermarkets and pharmacies stock it. Doesn't contain lanolin like many treatments do which can cause irritation on broken skin. Persistent, doesn't wash off easily, absorbs readily, and doesn't remain greasy. But the main defence as already said is gloves, gloves, gloves.
Buy yourself a pair of cotton gloves and wear them under your work gloves.

I do and it helps a lot, been doing it for 5 years. My hands are a lot better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122758548249
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #28
rubberducky1957
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly.22 View Post
Buy yourself a pair of cotton gloves and wear them under your work gloves.

I do and it helps a lot, been doing it for 5 years. My hands are a lot better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122758548249
Thanks, I do this with some tasks but when working with microcomponents I need as much sensitivity as possible so can't do it much of the time. I actually carry orange mamba nitriles in my pocket everywhere. Picking up something from the garden centre, servicing the car or pretty much any task - its orange hands. Can't risk it flaring up as it takes days to get under control again. Undergloves definitely work though - and keep your hands warm!
rubberducky1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #29
fordmondeo2006
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I had dermatitis on my arm it was horrible!

It would crack and bleed especially when at work "mechanic".

Then one day i got ****ed off and rubbed lithium grease on it!!

2 weeks later it was gone and has never come back!

it got better day after day.

must of been something in the grease!

fordmondeo2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #30
jazzite73
Unwashed Member

Aveeno Excema therapy cream
Betnovate cream

are quite good.

Diprobase doesn't cut it if you have severe case. Its very greasy and is basically just vaseline. sits on the skin for hours and in my case causes itching.

Last edited by jazzite73; 11-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.
jazzite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzite73 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (19-04-2018)