Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Sports and Fitness Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Sports and Fitness Zone For everything from Football to Rugby to Tennis and everything in between!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
minidaveo
Washmitt Meister
 
minidaveo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 158
Thanks: 1
Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill58 View Post
Calibre Rake just won a grouptest in MBUK magazine against three more expensive bikes. Brilliant value for money!


There you go then! Bargain bike to get for sub £500

I did consider a beastnut but this one came up and I couldn’t refuse
minidaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minidaveo For This Useful Post:
Bill58 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
Yellow Dave
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Yellow Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Braintree, Essex
Posts: 3,727
Thanks: 1,416
Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,070 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ X-Ray View Post
Don't bother with Carreras...Halfords rubbish. Get a second hand Kona.
Far from correct, I've seen a friend embarrass many people at chicksands old north shore runs, dual and 4x tracks on his old carerra kraken and now his FS pro. Yes they are a budget brand, but one that still performs very well.

I've ridden specialized costing between £1000-£3000 for the last 15 years now and very happy with them, but to anyone starting out or not looking to test the limits of the bike they big main brands wouldn't be my first choice.
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
Deathstar
Washmitt Meister
 
Deathstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lancs
Posts: 162
Thanks: 114
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Garage
As others have said, have a look on Pinkbike or the Facebook page MTB Trader.

You will get something decent there. Try and get something with RS forks, I have Fox on mine and they are shoite. Even with the Fit4. Poor small bump sensitivity.

Kona are decent, but weigh a frigging ton, that's why my Kona is on a Tacx Trainer.



Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
dazzlers82
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
dazzlers82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kent
Posts: 1,131
Thanks: 162
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
Garage
thanks for all the replies guys, i purchased the kraken, didn't like the look of the rake and did not want 2nd hand.
dazzlers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #15
minidaveo
Washmitt Meister
 
minidaveo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 158
Thanks: 1
Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlers82 View Post
thanks for all the replies guys, i purchased the kraken, didn't like the look of the rake and did not want 2nd hand.


Now just need to spend on bike clothing shoes helmet back pack ha ha ha ha it’s as bad as buying detailing stuff

Hope you get out on some nice rides

Where are you thinking of going?
minidaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #16
dazzlers82
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
dazzlers82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kent
Posts: 1,131
Thanks: 162
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minidaveo View Post
Now just need to spend on bike clothing shoes helmet back pack ha ha ha ha it’s as bad as buying detailing stuff

Hope you get out on some nice rides

Where are you thinking of going?
i have jackets an hat etc as i used to road bike, i just need to get my son one. I dont really know where im riding yet as theres not much around me in the way of off roading and it will need to be somewhere i can ride to as theres no way im mounting them to the ST lol. i do have a section of woods fairly small though thats near and an off road section by the swale estuary so ill probably start there.
dazzlers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
minidaveo
Washmitt Meister
 
minidaveo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 158
Thanks: 1
Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlers82 View Post
i have jackets an hat etc as i used to road bike, i just need to get my son one. I dont really know where im riding yet as theres not much around me in the way of off roading and it will need to be somewhere i can ride to as theres no way im mounting them to the ST lol. i do have a section of woods fairly small though thats near and an off road section by the swale estuary so ill probably start there.




Gpsies is a good site to see if there are any tracks near you shame you won’t mount the bikes to the car as there seems to be a few tracks round there

Ever hear of sea sucker bike rack? Check it out a see what you think
minidaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minidaveo For This Useful Post:
dazzlers82 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
DJ X-Ray
Distinguished Detailer
 
DJ X-Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Straight outta London...in an Audi. Maxin' with fellow OG's, ballers and macks;)
Posts: 6,412
Thanks: 1,339
Thanked 3,513 Times in 2,398 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Dave View Post
Far from correct, I've seen a friend embarrass many people at chicksands old north shore runs, dual and 4x tracks on his old carerra kraken and now his FS pro. Yes they are a budget brand, but one that still performs very well.

I've ridden specialized costing between £1000-£3000 for the last 15 years now and very happy with them, but to anyone starting out or not looking to test the limits of the bike they big main brands wouldn't be my first choice.
What does that prove? Only your mate's a better rider . I used to ride BMX at competition level in the 80's and would probably embarrass him on my old Kuwahara Supernova (which I still have).

I have rode and owned enough bikes over the years to make such a statement.
DJ X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors