Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by

Old 26-12-2017, 03:29 AM   #1
davies20
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Powerline WiFi Extenders

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at increasing the strength of our WiFi across three floors with the use of the following OR similar:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-50...line-kit-n51qg

However i see their are some snazzy looking products being released to do the same, but, i assume better by the likes of BT etc.

Could someone advise if the above would be ok, or if i would be better spending a few quid more to future proof myself. I will add we are not power uses as of yet with the kids being young'ish

TIA
davies20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,237 Times in 832 Posts
Garage
I had one of these,
https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-...5P.html?src=20
Worked great up until it failed to connect to my home hub 5, so then bt gave me free of charge this as a replacement
https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-...50910-59100000

Again this worked great for a few weeks then it stopped connecting to my hub! So bt replaced my hub and now everything is working great. My original WiFi extender is still working and plugged in my kitchen, giving strong WiFi there where it used to be hit and miss, and the new kit with the mini hub is in the dining room (main hub is upstairs next to pc) and this has boosted my WiFi in the lounge and out into the garden. Both bits of kit irk great and make a vast improvement.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
davies20 (26-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
RedUntilDead

I use the tp link triple set and they work a treat and cheaper than the set you linked. I have limited knowledge of tech stuff but this set came top buy in loads of reviews so I chose these. The IT/ telecoms guy put me on to these rather than running cables all over the house which was my original plan. They also work as wifi hit points to so extend your wifi in effect. Some models are pass through so you can still plug something into it, handy if its going into a single socket outlet that gets used.
Both maplins and currys sell them but other retailers will too. Maplins price match too.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedUntilDead For This Useful Post:
davies20 (26-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Mr Ben
Washmitt Meister

The powerline kits are great when they work. Our flat seems to be wired oddly so when the boiler went on they would sometimes cut out! Tried them at a friends thinking there was an issue and they worked perfectly! Doesn't help having concrete walls either.

I have a set of these I was going to stick on eBay in the new year: https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-...4289-BVFH.html Happy to do you a deal on them if you want to try them for cheap. The DW crew are much more trust worthy than eBay

We ended up with Google Wifi which have been brilliant, but possibly over kill for most houses.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Ben For This Useful Post:
davies20 (26-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
alfajim

Think the one I have Is dlink. Great bit of kit, WiFi with a USB dongle kept dropping out. Not had any problem with the powerline.
alfajim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfajim For This Useful Post:
davies20 (26-12-2017)
Old 26-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
RedUntilDead

a word of note when using these, it is recommended that each link is plugged into a socket which is on the same circuit which makes sense. You may have downstair sockets and upstairs sockets on independent ring final circuits protected by their own MCB/fuse.
Mine are on different circuits but they still work ok. Maybe because all circuits neutrals and earths meet in the consumer unit?
I was given a cheap set to try by my engineer as I initially didnt entertain the idea but they worked a treat so I went out and bought the top recommendation.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedUntilDead For This Useful Post:
davies20 (26-12-2017)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
stealthwolf

I have the non-wifi version of the Devolo 1200, one upstairs and one downstairs. Works fine for streaming. I went for the faster versions as they never live up to the stated speed.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stealthwolf For This Useful Post:
davies20 (04-01-2018)