Detailing World Forum banner

My B6 Passat estate

172K views 394 replies 56 participants last post by  Jack R 
#1 ·
Well picked this up today

Doesn't look to bad nice and straight, but needs a good clean and there's a couple of stone chips that require a touch up on the bonnet. Under the bonnet doesn't look to bad from a distance and considering the age/mileage etc

Although as always it can and will be improved

Got this week off work so going to make a start towards the end of next week:thumb::buffer:

See less See more
#300 ·
Gave it a quick wash today and decided to try my new mesto foamer, of which i'm not sure if I made the right decision buying it :confused:

Although I will have another go to see if I can set it up any better.

Finished it off with some ODK Exhibit which left a nice finish in the afternoon sun :D

Unfortunately, it does highlight how bad the black plastic trim is. It's starting to fade and stain with the salt on the roads :( looks like I need to give it the same treatment as the Corsa sooner than I hoped :thumb:

#301 ·
Gave it a quick wash today and decided to try my new mesto foamer, of which i'm not sure if I made the right decision buying it :confused:

Although I will have another go to see if I can set it up any better.

:
Sorry if you already know this...there are 4 gauzes in the nozzle. If you take two out it improves useage. Had sidelined mine for a good while but dug it out today to use with a wheel cleaner. Good combo but no way I'd use it for a full car these days.

#305 ·
Decided to treat myself today as it's payday! So first thing I did was pay for my mystery box from Jeff at prestige car care, so hopefully should have that early next week :D then this evening I popped into Halfords a got a new set of Bosch aero wiper blades and this wash brush below. :thumb:

Seems nice and soft with a good handle, so I thought it would make an ideal tyre or wheel arch brush :D

#311 ·
Had to nip into Halfords again today and on the way out I saw this reduced down to £2.90, so I thought i'd give it a try.

Anyone else use this? I was planning on using VW screen wash once my current stock had ran out but seeing as this was reduced.

#317 ·
Time to try out my Adams mystery box, first up was the wash and wax shampoo along with my new wash pad:thumb:

Approximately 2oz added to the wash bucket measured in my usual way

Also added a bit to the pad, the buckets where then filled with warm water.

Gave the cars a bit of a pre wash, second time with the maestro foamer which was much better after removing two of the gauze pads as recommended by MCD250 (thanks for the tip) :thumb:

All rinsed and ready to start washing :D

Quick blast with the pressure washer to make some suds :argie: and was pleasantly surprised by the scent that was produced whilst doing this :D

One thing that is noticeable is the amount of suds you get! And the pad is amazing fitted my large hands perfectly and the wash pad effortlessly moved around the body work, what made it different from the rest was the amount of water the thing holds! :thumb:

Finally rinsed off with my filtered recycled water

Looks nice after using the wash and wax but it didn't really make me look at it and say wow if you know what I mean. I will however continue to use it as it's a good product but I still prefer ODK Jet and Sublime.
Next up was the detail spray, now I had a sample of this for a while now but never used it :rolleyes: so I decided to use it as a drying aid after reading the bottle.

Which made it go a bit smeary :confused: then something magical happened and wow! Loads of gloss with little effort this is what makes it a winning combination :thumb:

So to sum it up;
wash pad is brilliant especially if you have shovels for hands :thumb:
Wash and wax I wasn't sure about at first but now like it
Detail spray works brilliantly especially after the wash and wax, made drying a breeze once I'd got over the shock of the smears :lol:

#319 ·
Yes the smears did just disappear and then it just glowed :thumb:

I started off by wiping it over then realised how it was smearing so continued to wipe the car down with a plan to come back to the first a start wiping it down again. But by the time I got back round there it was looking perfect. Happy days:thumb:

#322 ·
So I got bored the other night and decided to go on eBay :rolleyes:
Never a good idea but at least I hadn't been drinking this time ;)

So I was looking for some form of bike rack and spotted a very basic add with very little description, so seeing as I was bored I placed a very modest bid and went to bed.

Next morning I woke up and went to check my email then realised i'd won :D
Then it dawned on me it was collection only and it was 2 & 1/2 hours away:wall:

Tried to convince the chap to post them but that didn't work as he wasn't playing ball although for what i'd paid I couldn't expect much from him so had to think of a plan B.

:speechles That came in the form of one of my works installers, who went to collect it for me and wrap it ready for the courier to collect.

Today it arrived, so when I got home I was very pleased to find two brand new boxed genuine VW bike racks :D

Not only did I get the bike racks, but also it came with a set of genuine roof bars which wasn't even mentioned in the ad :D unfortunately there for a mk4 golf :wall: so they will go back on eBay

#327 ·
I've got a family christening tomorrow, so today I gave the Passat a quick clean (well six hours in total according to the wife :rolleyes:).

First job was to tidy up the plastic trim as it had taken a beating through the winter, this is what I started with.

And this is after.

All finished inside and out, didn't have time to correct anything unfortunately so just topped up the exterior with ODK Exhibit

:D

#328 ·
Small update, not done any cleaning as the Passat has looked like this for most of the week.

Today was the first day I could do anything so I decided to replace the drive shaft as it's been a bit noisy for about a year not a bad job but access wasn't great.

Luckily I had enough extension bars :lol:

But all six bolts came out with little drama

The old unit out and it was clear to see the cv boot had spilt and it felt a bit slack and notchy.

All back together and I thought i'd go for a quick test drive, which is where it all went wrong :wall: although there was I slight difference it didn't fix my problem :mad: looks like I need to do the other side too :(

#329 ·
So the drive to work this morning was horrible, probably shouldn’t of drove it but did anyway. By the time I got to work (only 10mins up the road) I’d had enough so rang Parker’s (local parts place) and in less than an hour my wife rang to say a parcel had turned up :thumb:, after another painful trip home I set to it :thumb:.
After 1 hour 15 mins (an improvement on yesterday’s 4 hours) it was all done and ready for a test drive :driver:

And I’m pleased to say it’s all fixed and driving perfectly again, no noise, no vibration and no clonking, Happy Days :D

#331 ·
Quick wash today as it was filthy (well by my standards anyway).
Products used today;
ODK arctic
Adams wash and wax
ODK Exhibit
Followed by a quick wipe over on the inside with ODK cabin.
I then gave the tyres a wipe over with my newest tyre dressing (Adams tyre shine) and I must say I like the product as always it's easy to use but that banana smell is stunning! It lingered around for ages! Also dressed the trim with Adams VTR.

#332 · (Edited)
Got dragged out shopping today as wife wanted to go looking for new clothes, ended up over at Corby and realised that Joules where having a sale which just happened to be at Rockingham Raceway :D

This Skyline was the highlight of the day as it sounded awesome coming down the straight, although there where some very nice cars there including mk2 & mk7.5 golfs, mk2 fiesta, Ren 5GT Turbo plus lots more. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.