Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
ltec
Unwashed Member

Can snow foam be used as the shampoo for your mitt like a car wash

Just bought a snow foam lance and was reading up on how to use it. I actually thought it was for putting the soap on the car for the mitt so it was softened and easier washed down.
That's what they use it for in car washes. But is that shampoo they have in it instead of snow foam.
Can you sponge down snow foam instead of shampoo.
Any help would be appreciated.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 6,010 Times in 4,185 Posts
Garage
Snow foam is really a pre wash to help soften the muck before a contact wash, you can use car shampoo via a foam gun, I do that often at this time of year when my car is heavily covered in road salt and muck. What I do is PW rinse, apply citrus pre wash to lower panels, PW rinse, snow foam, PW rinse, re foam again but this time with shampoo then use your mitt from your wash bucket.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
scooobydont
Washmitt Meister

I recently tried britemax pure max which can act as a snow foam as well as a shampoo. I really liked it, it was really slick.

It would mean you dont have to purchase 2 separate products. I think (ie I dont know) the dilutions may vary for using it as a shampoo and as a snow foam to be able to do what you are asking though (spray your shampoo onto the car).
scooobydont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I suppose you could use a snow foam for a contact wash but the only thing I'd be wary of is that a foam might not offer the same lubricity as a shampoo designed for contact washing. Snow foams are designed to run off by themselves or be rinsed off where normal shampoos are expected to be rubbed. I'd worry about accidentally marring the paint, even if only slightly.

I suppose another consideration might be cost, as you're likely to need an inefficient amount of foam product in a wash bucket. For something like BHAF for example, you'd need 600-700ml in a 14l bucket for a single wash which you'd then pour down the drain. That same amount of product would perhaps have got you 3-5 uses as foam or more with a spray bottle.

You couldn't just spray it on with the Lance and then rub it with a mitt and bucket of clean water as your wet mitt would dilute and rinse the foam off in a matter of seconds, leaving you with barely any product to protect and wash your paint as you rub.

You can put a normal shampoo through a Lance though, I've done this with megs gold class in addition to having it in a bucket. I needed barely anything in the Lance and it worked well.

Also, don't ever sponge anything!!!

Last edited by olliewills; 05-02-2018 at 10:18 PM.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (06-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
Forsh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Regardless of how much foam is on the car you'll still need to rinse your wash mitt after each panel/small section to get the muck and grit off it before you continue with the next section

Better to let the snow foam dwell to do it's thing then pressure wash the majority of the grime off before going anywhere near the paint with a contact wash
If you then want to foam it again to wash it then fine if that's how you want to do it but like I said keep the mitt clean with regular rinses

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
ltec
Unwashed Member

Would I be better spraying her with tfr cleaner then rinse her and then shampoo in the lance with mitt and bucket of clean water.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Derek Mc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
Would I be better spraying her with tfr cleaner then rinse her and then shampoo in the lance with mitt and bucket of clean water.
I have tried these combinations too, and depending on how fussy you are about not damaging your paint you can try these methods.
In winter,
I apply G101 (at 15:1) to the worst areas pressure rinse the grit off then B/H Autofoam, rinse, then two bucket wash, and so far the paint has remained in pretty decent shape after 2 1/2years.

In summer,
As long as it hasn't rained, I rinse the car off Snowfoam after it a few minutes dwell, I then 2 bucket wash with car shampoo on top, but only if it hasn't rained on the car (it's garaged so never has condensation issues)

I am not looking for 100% perfection however, so if you are don't do this method it has risks
Derek Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
The_Bouncer
DW Sponsor - 'No, you can't come in'

Location: It isnt all fluffy clouds, flash cars and big cash all the time
Thanked 5,635 Times in 1,867 Posts
If you want to try with a mitt, (not recommending) then just ensure you have the correct ppe as some snowfoams have a higher level of surfactants etc over a milder shampoo
The_Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Bouncer For This Useful Post:
WayneST250 (12-02-2018)