Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Insurance Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Insurance Zone Want to insure your ride but not sure of wheres best.. Well, put a post here and others should be able to help!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
kingswood
Orbital Oracle
 
kingswood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 620
Thanks: 164
Thanked 362 Times in 246 Posts
if they hit you and its on PCP why didnt you just claim at the time?

if you mean to claim on your insurnace then just take a sledge hammer to your car and say the local yobs did it? or put a police high viz jacket in the back and park it on a council estate.
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
RedUntilDead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: not far enough away from Manchester
Posts: 1,258
Thanks: 126
Thanked 431 Times in 371 Posts
What about getting the advice of a mobile body repair guy? Modern smart repairs can be excellent. I have just paid for damage repair on some one else’s car and the quality of finish has blown me away tbh. Not sure how long these repairs hold up compared to conventional finish but for circumstances like this, they have been tailored for.

As a guide, a dint which a dent man said was too big to push back 100% was filled and most of the door sprayed and blended. Cost me £140

Hope yours is not silver?
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedUntilDead For This Useful Post:
renton (10-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #13
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
 
Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: County Down
Posts: 6,499
Thanks: 10,688
Thanked 4,758 Times in 3,488 Posts
Garage
OP - just check that the dealer isn't trying to get you to repair the car beyond what you have to do.

If you are part exchanging the car, where the dealer is giving you a price for the car, settling the outstanding finance and carrying over any balance as a deposit (if any) onto the new car, they have no grounds to assess it using bvrla.

However, if you are voluntarily terminating the finance agreement at the point at which you have paid 50%, then they can usually apply the bvrla conditions then.

Hope you get sorted.

Cooks
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
renton (10-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Rundie
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rundie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,369
Thanks: 1,416
Thanked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Bleedin take on this lease malarky, my generation, can't afford it then you don't have it...simples
Rundie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rundie For This Useful Post:
renton (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
renton
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Benson, Oxfordshire
Posts: 934
Thanks: 888
Thanked 143 Times in 98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundie View Post
Bleedin take on this lease malarky, my generation, can't afford it then you don't have it...simples
Erm ok cheers for that.

Im not saying I cant afford it. Thats never been the case??

We are just trying to get it sorted so that we can change the car to one more suited to me wife and her back problems.

The issue with the door is that the outer skin was stretched around the crash/side impact bar in the door. Where the dent guy has tried to pull it back into shape the panel has rippled. plus it needs a bit of paint too.

The car is currently on a skoda pcp finance package, we are looking to trade it in, settle the finance and use the equity that is left toward a deposit on the new car.

Ive checked online and it seems that if I could claim against my insurance then Im looking at a rise in my annual insurance of around £30 which isnt bad. I have full protected no claims.

So its a case of paying my excess of £250 plus the annual raise of £30 and have it done by an approved bodyshop or pay between £650 and £1000 to a backstreet place and hope they do a decent enough job.
renton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renton For This Useful Post:
kingswood (10-02-2018), Rundie (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #16
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
 
Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: County Down
Posts: 6,499
Thanks: 10,688
Thanked 4,758 Times in 3,488 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renton View Post
Erm ok cheers for that.

Im not saying I cant afford it. Thats never been the case??

We are just trying to get it sorted so that we can change the car to one more suited to me wife and her back problems.

The issue with the door is that the outer skin was stretched around the crash/side impact bar in the door. Where the dent guy has tried to pull it back into shape the panel has rippled. plus it needs a bit of paint too.

The car is currently on a skoda pcp finance package, we are looking to trade it in, settle the finance and use the equity that is left toward a deposit on the new car.

Ive checked online and it seems that if I could claim against my insurance then Im looking at a rise in my annual insurance of around £30 which isnt bad. I have full protected no claims.

So its a case of paying my excess of £250 plus the annual raise of £30 and have it done by an approved bodyshop or pay between £650 and £1000 to a backstreet place and hope they do a decent enough job.
Renton,

Instead of giving yourself the hassle, just ask the dealer to give you a trade-in price for the car as it is. If they're trying to say that the bvrla regs apply when you're trading a car in, they're misleading you.

When trading a car in, they simply offer you a price for the car, and you either accept it and go forward with purchasing the new car, or don't and keep on with the finance arrangement. Bvrla regs apply when the car is being returned to the owner, ie the lease company or the finance company if voluntary terminating. In a trade-in scenario, the dealership is buying the car off you and settling the finance.

Cooks
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
renton (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #17
Pinky
PC Perfectionist
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dumfries and Galloway Scotland.
Posts: 399
Thanks: 119
Thanked 88 Times in 87 Posts
As stated find out how much the company will charge you for the damage and see if that's a better option for you , also check with a local repairer to see how much they would charge .although you have prices check again and see if it could be done by a dent repair company . can you put photos up of the damage ?
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky For This Useful Post:
renton (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #18
Mcpx
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 78
Thanked 471 Times in 357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Renton,

Instead of giving yourself the hassle, just ask the dealer to give you a trade-in price for the car as it is. If they're trying to say that the bvrla regs apply when you're trading a car in, they're misleading you.

When trading a car in, they simply offer you a price for the car, and you either accept it and go forward with purchasing the new car, or don't and keep on with the finance arrangement. Bvrla regs apply when the car is being returned to the owner, ie the lease company or the finance company if voluntary terminating. In a trade-in scenario, the dealership is buying the car off you and settling the finance.

Cooks
I’d go with this, but I think he said the current car is on pcp, so will have any damage deducted from the guaranteed final value?

The best solution is to talk to the dealer, get them to value the car with the damage as it is and with it repaired. You will probably find it won’t be that much different, certainly not £650. Don’t forget that if they take the car as is and then do the repair themselves it’s going to be a lot cheaper than you paying a body shop for the work. If the damage is as you describe, I’d guess they’d be looking at knocking a couple of hundred quid off the trade in, maybe £3-400 at most, which they’d then pay £200 to get done. Definitely not worth the hassle.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
renton (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
Rayaan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rayaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,439
Thanks: 911
Thanked 1,044 Times in 813 Posts
Too late for insurance claim from 3rd party IMO. Should have done it at the time - the 3rd party will just claim that you've gone and done it yourself as 1 year is a long time for a new dent to appear.

You'd have to go through your insurance but remember that the claim lasts between 3-5 years so its not £30 as you said but £90 minimum. However, I can almost guarantee it'll go up more than £30 for 3-5 years after.
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,378
Thanks: 1,559
Thanked 6,326 Times in 4,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renton View Post

The car is currently on a skoda pcp finance package, we are looking to trade it in, settle the finance and use the equity that is left toward a deposit on the new car.
I see you've had the car for less than 2 years.

I would be surprised if you've got any equity in it at all especially if it's a 4 year deal and not 3 years.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors