Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by Valet PRO - ValetPRO - UK made car valeting and detailing products. Our aim to make top quality product we love to use. Famous for 'pH Neutral Snow Foam, Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, Dragons Breath, Citrus Bling and Citrus PRE Wash. A big thank you to all our customers and stockists, we promise to bring you some excellent and inventive products during 2014.

Old 25-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
rickster32
Unwashed Member

Exhaust Tips

Hi,

Looking for some advice on cleaning my Mini JCW exhaust tips, I have been using Autosol with a microfiber, however from the pics there looks like what I can only describe as pitting? I would welcome suggestions to try and get them back to as new (car is only 9 months old), I have been reading various threads and posts and some have said to use wire wool, would this be ok on chrome?

IMG_20180225_125846.jpg

IMG_20180225_125902.jpg
Thanks
R.
rickster32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
noddy r32
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi I would use allstars fine grade ooo wire wool with some autosol should do the job, just be very gentle when using the wire wool
noddy r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
noddy r32

Ps have you tried a fallout remover on your exhaust tips as well
noddy r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
andy198712
Washmitt Meister

people seem to get good results from the Britmax metal twins, i'm going to try them on mine next, ideally with a foam attachment for the drill.

if its deep pitting i think you'll struggle to get back to new, think of the chrome like paint, if there is a stone chip, you would have to polish through the paint to remove it, a pit is the same sadly..... although polishing should reduce the appearance some what

with a bit of luck it'll be surface contaminant and it'll come off
andy198712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
rickster32
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy198712 View Post
people seem to get good results from the Britmax metal twins, i'm going to try them on mine next, ideally with a foam attachment for the drill.

if its deep pitting i think you'll struggle to get back to new, think of the chrome like paint, if there is a stone chip, you would have to polish through the paint to remove it, a pit is the same sadly..... although polishing should reduce the appearance some what

with a bit of luck it'll be surface contaminant and it'll come off
Might give the britemax a go, and yeah hopefully it comes out, not impressed if this happens after only 9 months!!
Old 25-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
Andyblue

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,368 Posts
I use Peak metal on mine and works a treat - also have used 0000 grade wool with the Peak metal on it and gently rubbed and it removed some stubborn marks from neighbours car's tips...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
riskypicker
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Theres a guy on YouTube Forensic Detailing channel - theres an indepth video of exactly how to solve that.

Basically autosol, a nylon brush in a drill (though yours doesnt look half as bad as his was so probably wont need that stage) and a cone shaped sponge polishing pad also for a drill.
riskypicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
rickster32
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskypicker View Post
Theres a guy on YouTube Forensic Detailing channel - theres an indepth video of exactly how to solve that.

Basically autosol, a nylon brush in a drill (though yours doesnt look half as bad as his was so probably wont need that stage) and a cone shaped sponge polishing pad also for a drill.
Yeah I have seen that on YouTube, I may go down that route and try the cone shaped sponge, but first I am going to try some steel wool and see how I get on.