Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Engine Bay & Chassis Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #31
bigrace
Sponge Jockey

My partner has just got rid of her vw tiguan which she absolutely loved. The reason for this was a bearing had collapsed on the centre driveshaft and both rear calipers need replacement.I put the car on ramps and crawled underneath to have a look. Whilst crawling under I noticed a spot of caked on mud just behind the back wheel between the plastic arch liner and the chassis. I knocked the mud off and to my surprise it was absolutely red rotten. I checked the other side and it was exactly the same.
A mix of mud/muck and road salt and the constant wetting and drying out had perished this spot severely. So on top of the repairs it probably would have needed some welding in the next couple of years.
If I'd knew this was happening to the underside I would have cleaned these areas regularly and may have prevented the rust for a while longer .
This is the reason for wanting a chassis cleaner. I know it's not going to stop the rot but at least I'll have tried.
I try to maintain the paint so why not try to preserve the chassis and underbody.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #32
Sh1ner
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Careful removal of build up in places where it can collect can stop some of the rot and is a perfectly sensible thing to do.
It is always best in my experience to look for the areas where this can happen and deal with them regularly rather than carpet bombing the whole underside under pressure where you can force water into places it cannot be removed from and cause the very problem you are trying to avoid.
I would argue that careful washing with a hose and strategic corrosion prevention is better than continually soaking the complete underside under pressure with something that is not necessarily able to specifically target the areas you wish to address.
If you wash a car with the chassis cleaner and then get underneath and check you will see how much it misses and how ineffective it is at dealing with ledges and crevices where grot can collect.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 30-12-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Sh1ner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #33
graeme
Washmitt Meister

I got one of these few years back in a bundle deal and found it good when I used it. Actually forgot about having it and found it in the shed last week so must try it out again. My only worry at the time was what product to use after cleaning to give a bit of protection.
graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #34
NeilG40

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
My only worry at the time was what product to use after cleaning to give a bit of protection.
I wonder if you could use that new stuff from Bilt Hamber for stopping rust appearing on brake discs?
NeilG40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilG40 For This Useful Post:
graeme (02-01-2018)
Old 31-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #35
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,813 Times in 3,533 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilG40 View Post
I wonder if you could use that new stuff from Bilt Hamber for stopping rust appearing on brake discs?
I've been spraying the Bilt Hamber Atom Mac under our cars fairly frequently. It neutralises Road salt apparently too. If nothing else, it'll hopefully postpone any corrosion as I've also used Dynax UC/UB too. Alternatively, you could do a proper detail job and get it all ceramic coated. Lol.

Sent from my Wenger 16999
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
graeme (02-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #36
Kev_mk3

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Kev_mk3
so in short these are ok - great if you got one for £18 last year but £50 this year not really worth it is the impression I get
Kev_mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
Mcpx

I use a 90 degree adapter in my arches and under the sills but I would worry about using one of these devices simply because you cannot see what you are doing. There is a real possibility of, at best, getting water into a cavity you donít want to get water into and at worst, blasting something sensitive. Also if there is already any corrosion there that you canít see or arenít aware of, hitting it with a high pressure water jet is surely not going to help matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
If you wash a car with the chassis cleaner and then get underneath and check you will see how much it misses and how ineffective it is at dealing with ledges and crevices where grot can collect.
Not sure if that is typo or not but what a fantastic word grot is! I shall be shamelessly appropriating it frequently. Thank you.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #38
Squadrone Rosso

Iíve got the chassis trolley kit. Itís excellent. I bought extra wax & a 2in1 cleaner with wax.

Iíve also got the dedicated lance which is very powerful.

All ideal for this time of year & easy to use.
Squadrone Rosso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #39
Squadrone Rosso

Used this again today.

https://youtu.be/bhk7Y9iKN4M

Itís an impressive bit of kit. Just about goes under my Abarth 595 on the lowest setting but easily goes under the wifeís C-HR a few notches up.

It has a mini upward facing snow foam nozzle with a reservoir which I use a combined heavy cleaner with an industrial wax.

Works a treat. Great for this time of year.

Cheers,

Simon
Squadrone Rosso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #40
Caterham7
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slineclean View Post
Iíve got a few of these knocking around if anyone is after one
Did you sell all of the ones that you had at the end of last year ?

Thanks
Caterham7 is offline   Reply With Quote