Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
j20eyk
Unwashed Member

Garage
Thanks all! Decent chunks of info in each to help me along. I hope I have some respectable first timer results to post!
j20eyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #12
j20eyk
Unwashed Member

Garage
Evening guys, thought i would give an update on my work so far. Really enjoyed my first day doing some work on the motor yesterday. Weather perfect for it with plenty of cloud cover, no rain and a half decent temperature.

I kind of winged it with my sequence, probably took me longer but happy with the results.

Autobrite Snowfoam (the PIR puts me off BH). I will find a different one when I run out of AB.
Surfex HD all over including door shuts, tyres etc.
Wheels with BH Auto Wheels. Seemed very thick so weren't keen on the spray spread on the wheels really but it certainly did the job. I didn't use any on my paint as a fallout remover due to the thickness. Scared me that it would be too strong.
Exhaust tips. Really struggled to get these up to standard on the outside. I didn't bother with the inside. Going to have to research a bit more on this one.
Standard 2BM with Megs Gold Class. Half a panel generally before a rinse. Am I paranoid?
Clay lube spray made up with DI water and Shampoo.
Split BH soft clay into 4 pieces. Absolutely hammered the spray to make sure I prevented marring as much as possible but could not believe how often I had to fold over the clay for a new piece. I could hear it picking up on most areas so folded it immediately. Used 3 of the 4 pieces over the whole car. Not sure if this is normal for a car never clayed previously? I didn't wipe each panel down whilst claying so car looked worse than ever after so I did another 2BM wash.
Really strapped for daylight time at this point so a waffle weave from Ragmaster did a good job at drying the majority off.
I mixed BSD with DI water 1:1 (not sure how this ratio compares to what others use but I liked it).
It's getting dark at this point so as much as I wanted to use the BH Double Speed I just didn't have the time.
Eagle Edgeless, again from Ragmaster to wipe/buff off the BSD. Worked a treat with my untrained eye and hands. Really liked the Eagle. Gave me confidence I weren't causing damage. Should I be using this on the exterior glass?

I thought the car looked the absolute nuts. I tested a little bit of BH DS wax on the boot lid to see how it went. Used the provided applicator (felt a bit naff to be honest) and cloth to buff. I'm pretty sure I should be using BSD after the wax not before. Is that right? Either way it seemed simple enough. I applied the wax very, very light.

Your advice seemed to work a treat so thank you! I'm sure I did some parts wrong along the way. The daylight faded too much for me to get any decent pictures but I did go round with a light to check for any damage and couldn't see any that weren't there before. Good news!!

I can't wait to get out there again and get it even better. The overnight rain left good beading this morning and that's just from the mixed BSD (the pictures are actually the boot lid with one light layer of wax) so I am happy with my first try.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j20eyk For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (11-03-2018), chongo (11-03-2018), Cookies (12-03-2018), todds (11-03-2018), weedougall78 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j20eyk View Post
Evening guys, thought i would give an update on my work so far. Really enjoyed my first day doing some work on the motor yesterday. Weather perfect for it with plenty of cloud cover, no rain and a half decent temperature.

I kind of winged it with my sequence, probably took me longer but happy with the results.

Autobrite Snowfoam (the PIR puts me off BH). I will find a different one when I run out of AB.
Surfex HD all over including door shuts, tyres etc.
Wheels with BH Auto Wheels. Seemed very thick so weren't keen on the spray spread on the wheels really but it certainly did the job. I didn't use any on my paint as a fallout remover due to the thickness. Scared me that it would be too strong.
Exhaust tips. Really struggled to get these up to standard on the outside. I didn't bother with the inside. Going to have to research a bit more on this one.
Standard 2BM with Megs Gold Class. Half a panel generally before a rinse. Am I paranoid?
Clay lube spray made up with DI water and Shampoo.
Split BH soft clay into 4 pieces. Absolutely hammered the spray to make sure I prevented marring as much as possible but could not believe how often I had to fold over the clay for a new piece. I could hear it picking up on most areas so folded it immediately. Used 3 of the 4 pieces over the whole car. Not sure if this is normal for a car never clayed previously? I didn't wipe each panel down whilst claying so car looked worse than ever after so I did another 2BM wash.
Really strapped for daylight time at this point so a waffle weave from Ragmaster did a good job at drying the majority off.
I mixed BSD with DI water 1:1 (not sure how this ratio compares to what others use but I liked it).
It's getting dark at this point so as much as I wanted to use the BH Double Speed I just didn't have the time.
Eagle Edgeless, again from Ragmaster to wipe/buff off the BSD. Worked a treat with my untrained eye and hands. Really liked the Eagle. Gave me confidence I weren't causing damage. Should I be using this on the exterior glass?

I thought the car looked the absolute nuts. I tested a little bit of BH DS wax on the boot lid to see how it went. Used the provided applicator (felt a bit naff to be honest) and cloth to buff. I'm pretty sure I should be using BSD after the wax not before. Is that right? Either way it seemed simple enough. I applied the wax very, very light.

Your advice seemed to work a treat so thank you! I'm sure I did some parts wrong along the way. The daylight faded too much for me to get any decent pictures but I did go round with a light to check for any damage and couldn't see any that weren't there before. Good news!!

I can't wait to get out there again and get it even better. The overnight rain left good beading this morning and that's just from the mixed BSD (the pictures are actually the boot lid with one light layer of wax) so I am happy with my first try.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Extremely jealous of the QV mate my dream car!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Brian1612; 12-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,856 Posts
Garage
Same as above bud great car.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #15
Woodsmoke
Sponge Jockey

Lovely,

and yeah BH DSW before the spray as you are putting a layer in between your LSP and paint and you want it to bond, easy enough to take it off though with a good panel wipe. i use the BH one myself cleans previous protection pretty fast spray and wipe.

Last edited by Woodsmoke; 12-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Woodsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
j20eyk
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Same as above bud great car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
Extremely jealous of the QV mate my dream car!

Thanks My dream motor too which is why I want to try and keep it decent. Could be a nightmare with the black paint!
The Following User Says Thank You to j20eyk For This Useful Post:
Cookies (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #17
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,914 Posts
With a little care it will be fine. My black Abarth hasn't give me too much grief.

Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #18
j20eyk
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
Lovely,

and yeah BH DSW before the spray as you are putting a layer in between your LSP and paint and you want it to bond, easy enough to take it off though with a good panel wipe. i use the BH one myself cleans previous protection pretty fast spray and wipe.
Appreciate the help on that. I will get some Cleanser Fluid ordered, (I think thats the right stuff) I hope to get the full car treated with the DSW this week.

Does the use of so much of the clay bar sound about right? I only ask as the BH clay is larger than most so I would of run out if I didn't get the BH.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #19
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 4,813 Times in 3,533 Posts
Garage
Welcome along, bud. That's an absolutely stunning car. You're doing a great job looking after it buy the look of your work so far. If you're aware of how damage can occur, you're half way there I reckon.

Cheers.

Cooks

Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #20
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Getting through that amount of clay sounds a bit extreme to me, but you were being cautious which is never a bad thing when you're starting out. It's also possible the car was really really caked in sap etc.

If you're curious, best way might be to post a couple of pics of your used clay pieces and we can comment on how much life with think they have left in them.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote