Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Money And Business Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Money And Business Zone All things money related, Savings, Finance, Pensions ,Insurance, Mortgages and more,

Old 06-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
nac34
Unwashed Member

Website domain/online shop

Wondering if anyone can help.

I want to set up an online shop for my business but have no clue on how to go about doing this or how much it costs to run.

I already have a good following using a Facebook page which has helped massively especially with in the local area.
I want to offer potentialy new and existing customers a way of viewing items online with the options to purchase.

The nature of the business is food if this makes a difference

I'm not 100% on a online shop working but if I don't try I will never know. So I am looking for a fairly cheap or possible free trial for a few months to see how it goes

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
nac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Bulkhead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac34 View Post

I want to set up an online shop for my business but have no clue on how to go about doing this or how much it costs to run.

I already have a good following using a Facebook page which has helped massively especially with in the local area.
I want to offer potentialy new and existing customers a way of viewing items online with the options to purchase.

I'm not 100% on a online shop working but if I don't try I will never know. So I am looking for a fairly cheap or possible free trial for a few months to see how it goes

A mate of mine did this last year. He went through three web developers as they seem to be universally shocking. They ended up doing most of the work, including all images etc. Then once it went live the games began. I now know why google uses $100 bills to clean the tables - the packages are a money pit. You have to pay them a LOT of money to get your website even remotely visable and then pay them more each time it gets a hit!! He threw 10s of $1000s at it. Having said that, he broke even after a year but his profit margin is huge (he makes and sells his own e juice for e cigarettes). Just make sure you look at ALL the expenditure and have a plan based on predicted sales and profit.
Bulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
cossiecol
Moderator & Reviewer

Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,805 Posts
Quote:

The main thing to keep in mind is that you are dealing with peoples information, you would be surprised just how easy is it is to gain access to websites, all you need to one access point that's not properly coded in the website etc etc so my advice is to go to a well respected web designer and tell them what you're after.

Your other option is to approach some universities - my uni gets requests to "test" applications/websites all the time and there's always requests a few times a year for things like this, but specify that you're after final year students to do the work and you'll probably find you'll have a few websites to choose from and you can pick the one you like and pay a lot less
Old 06-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
nac34
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulkhead View Post
A mate of mine did this last year. He went through three web developers as they seem to be universally shocking. They ended up doing most of the work, including all images etc. Then once it went live the games began. I now know why google uses $100 bills to clean the tables - the packages are a money pit. You have to pay them a LOT of money to get your website even remotely visable and then pay them more each time it gets a hit!! He threw 10s of $1000s at it. Having said that, he broke even after a year but his profit margin is huge (he makes and sells his own e juice for e cigarettes). Just make sure you look at ALL the expenditure and have a plan based on predicted sales and profit.
This is what I am worried about is the hidden extra charges especially if they take a percentage of the sales.

Im not expecting it to generate a huge income (although it be nice if it did), so I'm looking to just try it for a few months to see how it does.

I have seen a site called shopify offering a free trial but I'm really looking for advice or guidance6of people in the know before I try this option

nac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Brad-ST
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
This is what I am worried about is the hidden extra charges especially if they take a percentage of the sales.

Im not expecting it to generate a huge income (although it be nice if it did), so I'm looking to just try it for a few months to see how it does.

I have seen a site called shopify offering a free trial but I'm really looking for advice or guidance6of people in the know before I try this option

You can use shopify which should be relatively cheap and if you can navigate a computer then you'll be able to do it yourself. You just drag and drop the elemnts you want on your pages so no need for coding.

Another option which is very cost effective is using Wordpress and an ecommerce plugin called 'WooCommerce' (I'm currently setting my site up using this).

With WordPress you can buy a theme and create the site yourself and use plugins like visual composer or unyson and again it is just a case of dragging and dropping text boxes, icons to the different parts of your website.

If you are struggling with getting your head around it then have a look for freelance developers as they will be much cheaper than using an agency to build your website.

Wordpress has no monthly subscription costs associated with it, you may just need a hand setting up payment gateways and importing your products into woocommerce but it is a fairly simple process providing your not importing tens of thousands of products.
Brad-ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad-ST For This Useful Post:
nac34 (07-03-2018)