Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
deez
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz3385 View Post
Thanks for that Andy, much appreciated :-)

I think I'll take your advice and start off simple. The paint isn't too bad...it's a 4 year old car after all. Parts of the paint in small places has gone milky though and there are some light swirls.

What would be your recommended method/products for a black car for a beginner like me and what pads would you use?

It really depends on what your budget is for this. I'll try and keep things reasonable though:
- Various types of polish (Menzerna / Koch Chemie / even the Meguiar's retail stuff works well for a beginner)
- Pads. I personally use Lake Country CCS. You'll see hex logic get recommended a fair amount, I haven't used them though.
- Panel Wipe. Check out Forensic Detailing Channel for this he has good advise about using a homemade one alongside a branded one for economical reasons.
- Sealant / Wax
- Plenty of good quality microfibres (at least 10, more the better). I use Klin Korea ones but they're hardly budget, so I'd recommend you check out in2Detailing for a good range of quality ones without going over the top. Wash these only with non bio and no fabric conditioner (I use Woolite).

I would recommend buying some form of inspection light, and use that between sets of polishing (and after panel wipe) to check your results.
Don't fall into a trap of buying a torch and assuming it will do the same thing, it doesn't. For a budget option that will work check out CarPro Detail Wand.

I know this might all seem overwhelming, but if you buy the right products from the start you will have what you need to successfully carry out your detail.

AndyN01 offered some great advice, go with tried and tested - that means reading reviews, asking questions, lots of research like you're doing at the moment, when you feel confident about the products that you're going to buy and what they will be used for then make your purchases.

The products I personally use:
Menzerna Polishes (400, 2500, 3500 & 3800)
Lake Country CCS pads
Bilt Hamber Panel Wipe & a homemade IPA concoction
Klin Korea microfibres.
deez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Hi Baz3385,

Thanks.

I'm a fan of Scholl (and Glare but not so easy to get hold of).

So, as a starting point on a 4 year old black car I'd go for some S20 (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...s20-black.html) with purple and honey spider pads (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ider-pads.html).

That's quite "mild" in correction terms so is unlikely to cause you grief with a DA.

It might not be enough to fully correct if she's got rock hard paint (clearcoat) - many German cars - but that falls in line with the absolute rule of always starting gentle and working up to more "aggressive" products if needed. If she's got soft paint (clearcoat) - many Japanese cars - it might be enough.

All the best.

Andy
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
It really depends on what your budget is for this. I'll try and keep things reasonable though:
- Various types of polish (Menzerna / Koch Chemie / even the Meguiar's retail stuff works well for a beginner)
- Pads. I personally use Lake Country CCS. You'll see hex logic get recommended a fair amount, I haven't used them though.
- Panel Wipe. Check out Forensic Detailing Channel for this he has good advise about using a homemade one alongside a branded one for economical reasons.
- Sealant / Wax
- Plenty of good quality microfibres (at least 10, more the better). I use Klin Korea ones but they're hardly budget, so I'd recommend you check out in2Detailing for a good range of quality ones without going over the top. Wash these only with non bio and no fabric conditioner (I use Woolite).

I would recommend buying some form of inspection light, and use that between sets of polishing (and after panel wipe) to check your results.
Don't fall into a trap of buying a torch and assuming it will do the same thing, it doesn't. For a budget option that will work check out CarPro Detail Wand.

I know this might all seem overwhelming, but if you buy the right products from the start you will have what you need to successfully carry out your detail.

AndyN01 offered some great advice, go with tried and tested - that means reading reviews, asking questions, lots of research like you're doing at the moment, when you feel confident about the products that you're going to buy and what they will be used for then make your purchases.

The products I personally use:
Menzerna Polishes (400, 2500, 3500 & 3800)
Lake Country CCS pads
Bilt Hamber Panel Wipe & a homemade IPA concoction
Klin Korea microfibres.
Thanks Deez, really appreciate your in depth response and it definitely gives me some options to go with. I'm going to head out this afternoon and buy some new products. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks!
baz3385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #14
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Hi Baz3385,

Thanks.

I'm a fan of Scholl (and Glare but not so easy to get hold of).

So, as a starting point on a 4 year old black car I'd go for some S20 (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...s20-black.html) with purple and honey spider pads (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...ider-pads.html).

That's quite "mild" in correction terms so is unlikely to cause you grief with a DA.

It might not be enough to fully correct if she's got rock hard paint (clearcoat) - many German cars - but that falls in line with the absolute rule of always starting gentle and working up to more "aggressive" products if needed. If she's got soft paint (clearcoat) - many Japanese cars - it might be enough.

All the best.

Andy
Again, thanks Andy! Been a long time lurker on this forum and never really posted before, but must say I'm well impressed with how helpful everyone seems to be. I'll take a look into the Scholl stuff and do a bit research. Pretty daunting when you first start out mind, there's so many options haha!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #15
muzzer

Thanked 4,393 Times in 2,800 Posts
Garage
The thing to remember is, always start out with the lest harsh option. It's a bit like the old clothing anology, you can always remove a layer if you get hot, but if you don't have the layers on in the first place then you are in trouble.
Same goes here, if you start off with the least harsh products and methods, you can always step it up a bit but if you start off harsh....you can see where this is going i'm sure
Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
AndyN01

Absolutely spot on.

It's the options that'll get you every time.

You'll see dozens of threads about "... can I use this over that...." or "...is this better than that...."

It's a bit like is one car better than another. Everyone has an opinion but you're looking for the right car for you. Imagine if you bought two dozen (Oh, lottery win please!) but then couldn't decide which one to use. Half way through the journey you'll be thinking whether you chose the right car. Too many options, too much confusion. Starting with too many products you'll be in the same place.

If/when you've been detailing for ages you'll build up experience of what works with what and/or make use of the guru's on here that have been there, done that and very kindly shere their knowledge to save the rest of use time and money (thanks all).

Hence my suggestion to start with one product (Scholl S20) and a couple of pads and see what results you get. It'll hopefully be great but maybe not and, importantly you'll know what you did with which pad to get what result and have not spent a fortune. There will be time for that later

Then you can post up one here and there'll be plenty of suggestions about what to try next.

Good Luck.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 09-03-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Absolutely spot on.

It's the options that'll get you every time.

You'll see dozens of threads about "... can I use this over that...." or "...is this better than that...."

It's a bit like is one car better than another. Everyone has an opinion but you're looking for the right car for you. Imagine if you bought two dozen (Oh, lottery win please!) but then couldn't decide which one to use. Half way through the journey you'll be thinking whether you chose the right car. Too many options, too much confusion. Starting with too many products you'll be in the same place.

If/when you've been detailing for ages you'll build up experience of what works with what and/or make use of the guru's on here that have been there, done that and very kindly shere their knowledge to save the rest of use time and money (thanks all).

Hence my suggestion to start with one product (Scholl S20) and a couple of pads and see what results you get. It'll hopefully be great but maybe not and, importantly you'll know what you did with which pad to get what result and have not spent a fortune. There will be time for that later

Then you can post up one here and there'll be plenty of suggestions about what to try next.

Good Luck.

Andy.
I've just ordered some S20 and some purple and honey pads, as per your suggestions mate. Sorry to keep asking questions haha, but is the correct method to:

Prime the purple pad
Do a couple of passes with the purple pad on a section
switch to the honey pad
do a couple of passes with that

Do I need to add more product when switching to the honey pad?
Old 09-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #18
AndyN01

Hi,

This might help albeit American and rather long.

Personally, I'd start with the honey pad - following the golden rule to always start with at least aggressive point.

Give it a couple of passes and see what's happened, maybe almost nothing but remember that's a safe result.

If it's well on it's way to how you'd like the result add a couple of pea sized drops and go again. If little to nothing has happened go to the purple pad.

I'm sure you'll get the idea/feeling for it once you get going. Remember to work the S20 long enough to break down the abrasives which maybe 3 or 4 or more passes.

It's all about work a section, see what's happened and use that to decide the way forward.

Maybe more passes? Different pressure? Different pad? Different speed?

Enjoy gainig the experience. Time spent now will build up your skills and knowledge and experience which will save time in the weeks and months to come.

It's your machine. The more familiar you get with handling it and taking the time to look carefully at what results you get the better and better you will become. From Junkman.....technique trumps product every time.......

Good Luck.

Andy.