Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #1311
eddie bullit
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdon777 View Post
Hyundai i30 Diesel Hatchback 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive SE 5dr

£199.20 incl VAT monthly rentals
£597.60 incl VAT initial rental
Personal contract hire
Contract term : 36 months
Rental profile : 3 + 35
Annual mileage : 10000

78mpg combined!

IN STOCK

at FleetPrices.co.uk

again you will have to pay the mileage excess approx £400-500 over the 3 years and 6000 miles
Great I'll pass this on!
eddie bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #1312
DrEskimo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bullit View Post
Great I'll pass this on!
This lease will total £8k with the additional mileage.

With a bit of haggling, you can buy a 2yr old one with barely any miles and a bunch of optional extras for the same amount. It will have 3yrs warranty on it all the same, and bar everything but the plate and odometer, will be exactly the same....

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=hp42ef&page=1

Furthermore, you can borrow £7,500 over 3yrs at 3.1% APR at a cost of just £218per month, same as the lease monthly cost.

Obviously at the end, the car will still have value too, so overall it will cost you a few grand less, and give you £3k to look at the next car. I.e you won't be pinching another £600 from your savings to start a new lease when this one is finished. So the next Hyundai i30 will be cheaper than the lease by a large margin, as you wont have to borrow as much money again. If you lease, you pay the same (will more as inflation will mean higher costs for the same car in 3yrs time...) every time.

Leases on high end new cars I can just about get me head around, but surely no one is that bothered about having a 'brand new' Hyundai i30.....? Why pay more for less and under more restrictive terms....?

My 2ps worth for your mate
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrEskimo For This Useful Post:
eddie bullit (09-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #1313
robertdon777

Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,361 Posts
Garage
The second hand i30 is the old model too though, and some people want a new motor etc.

But in logical terms yes that's correct in what you say about saving money.
robertdon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdon777 For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #1314
DrEskimo

Quote:
The second hand i30 is the old model too though, and some people want a new motor etc.

But in logical terms yes that's correct in what you say about saving money.
Can look forward to buying the new model in a few years time :P
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #1315
robertdon777

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
Can look forward to buying the new model in a few years time :P
Only new for 2 years in today's facelift madness
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdon777 For This Useful Post:
DrEskimo (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:25 AM   #1316
DrEskimo

Quote:
Only new for 2 years in today's facelift madness
Ha tell me about it mate! Redesign a new curve on the headlight to drum up a new load of sales....pair that with the 6monthly reg change and you have a constant reason to try and make people keep buying!

It’s no different to phones....”yea but this one now comes in gold!.....£999 please...”
Old 09-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #1317
dholdi

Quote:

With a bit of haggling, you can buy a 2yr old one with barely any miles and a bunch of optional extras for the same amount. It will have 3yrs warranty on it all the same, and bar everything but the plate and odometer, will be exactly the same....

Furthermore, you can borrow £7,500 over 3yrs at 3.1% APR at a cost of just £218per month, same as the lease monthly cost.

Obviously at the end, the car will still have value too, so overall it will cost you a few grand less, and give you £3k to look at the next car. I.e you won't be pinching another £600 from your savings to start a new lease when this one is finished. So the next Hyundai i30 will be cheaper than the lease by a large margin, as you wont have to borrow as much money again. If you lease, you pay the same (will more as inflation will mean higher costs for the same car in 3yrs time...) every time.

Leases on high end new cars I can just about get me head around, but surely no one is that bothered about having a 'brand new' Hyundai i30.....? Why pay more for less and under more restrictive terms....?

Completely agree, a colleague at work spunked £15k on an Octavia Vrs over 3 years then handed it back
Personally I would have borrowed the £15k over 3 years and spent it on something that would still have more than half that in value after the 3 years.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:
eddie bullit (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #1318
eddie bullit
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:

Yes I'm with you on this. I've come to the conclusion that leasing isn't for me and I would rather buy. It is just the way he prefers to buy.
Thanks for the input.
eddie bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #1319
andy665

Thanked 3,703 Times in 2,057 Posts
Same old arguments - of course you can buy used and it often makes more financial sense - if we all bought cars based on financial sense we would all buy 2-3 year base spec Dacia Sandero's - the fact that we do not proves that there is emotion involved as well.

Some people want new cars and are prepared to p[at more for it, some lease / PCH deals make great financial sense - horses for courses - no such thing as right or wrong
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
Bristle Hound (09-03-2018), eddie bullit (09-03-2018), robertdon777 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #1320
robertdon777

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
Same old arguments - of course you can buy used and it often makes more financial sense - if we all bought cars based on financial sense we would all buy 2-3 year base spec Dacia Sandero's - the fact that we do not proves that there is emotion involved as well.

Some people want new cars and are prepared to p[at more for it, some lease / PCH deals make great financial sense - horses for courses - no such thing as right or wrong
This man speaks sense.

The other way to look at the Hyundai deal is, can you buy a New one from a dealer and only spend £8K on it (inc Finance costs etc) over 3 years, with no guarantee of depreciation costs. The lease is fixed loss (many people like this)

Last edited by robertdon777; 09-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.