Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 13-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
Brian1612
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
I don't agree with this, the action of buffing/cleaning and drying with the Microfiber will ware it away more than a tumble dryer, in my experience with tumble drying and air drying, air dried towels always lint more as the tumble dryer removed the lose fibers

Also in a washing machine the loose fibers can become more embed-ed due to the high spin forcing them in so in my eyes a tumble dryer is essential to quickly dry them, then pack them away safe, not hanging around for a week for dust, dirt, bugs, hair and assorts to become attached to them.

And if your tuble dryer spins faster than your washing machine I would like to know what model you have as you stated

"all that fluff you remove from it is essentially your towel / clothes being worn away by it's action."

I know for a fact my washing machine spins faster and agitates my microfibers more than my dryer so please clarify why your washing machine wont ware it away but a dryer will?
The simple fact is heat isn't great for microfiber and regardless if it's only a low heat, over time it will cause degradation to the fibers much quicker when subjecting them to heat.

I don't know why exactly as I am no expert, I am just quoting what experts in the field recommend when washing and drying microfiber cloths. If your method works for you then that is all that matters.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
MichaelCPortis
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
I don't agree with this, the action of buffing/cleaning and drying with the Microfiber will ware it away more than a tumble dryer, in my experience with tumble drying and air drying, air dried towels always lint more as the tumble dryer removed the lose fibers

Also in a washing machine the loose fibers can become more embed-ed due to the high spin forcing them in so in my eyes a tumble dryer is essential to quickly dry them, then pack them away safe, not hanging around for a week for dust, dirt, bugs, hair and assorts to become attached to them.

And if your tuble dryer spins faster than your washing machine I would like to know what model you have as you stated

"all that fluff you remove from it is essentially your towel / clothes being worn away by it's action."

I know for a fact my washing machine spins faster and agitates my microfibers more than my dryer so please clarify why your washing machine wont ware it away but a dryer will?
I find the majority of them clean up fine using a wool wash cycle and these do not agitate any items all that much as it tends to be the most delicate cycles , also have never had them hanging around for days waiting to dry , always dry them inside and usually done within the day -admittedly tend to use a drying cupboard (wish I could stretch to a drying room) , have this as have the need to turn around foul weather gear quickly.
Always seem to come out clean and with life in the fibres for me so if it's not broken...
MichaelCPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #13
\Rian
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Each to their own

Everyone has their own method pieced together from snips of info they have seen but not researched high heat above 60 degrees is very bad for microfibers as they contain polyester a synthetic fiber that melts around that temperature hence the reason for no HIGH heat, the high part is key,

So please don't mislead people by saying tumble drying is bad because of snips of info you have found.

The simple fact is the washing machine is more aggressive that the tumble dryer, the dryer makes them softer and removes lose fibers.

If your happy hanging your towels to dry their is nothing wrong with that but misleading people based on your belief is wrong please dont!
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #14
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

Must admit I hand wash all mine, I'm only a weekend warrior and using the washing machine for a drying towel or two and less than half a dozen Microfibre is not economical. So a thorough hand wash and put in the machine on a drain and spin cycle. Then air dry.

Also wouldn't want to mix my drying/polishing/buffing towels and my wheel and engine towels.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
Sam534 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
\Rian
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam534 View Post
Must admit I hand wash all mine, I'm only a weekend warrior and using the washing machine for a drying towel or two and less than half a dozen Microfibre is not economical. So a thorough hand wash and put in the machine on a drain and spin cycle. Then air dry.

Also wouldn't want to mix my drying/polishing/buffing towels and my wheel and engine towels.

I overcame this by , purchasing more Microfibers and a small swing bin, I only wash about once a month or when the bin is full, I wash all together at 50 degrees with boots sensitive detergent, if realy dirty (wheel and engine they have a pre soak in warm water and APC over night.

Done this for 2 years +

I have researched my method so I know it works and is safe

if your partner/yourself use MF for dusting a cleaning around the home then you would be surprised at how quickly you can accumulate a full load
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #16
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,959 Posts
Garage
Quote:
The simple fact is the washing machine is more aggressive that the tumble dryer, the dryer makes them softer and removes lose fibers.
Source for this?
steelghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,584 Times in 2,773 Posts
Garage
Some interesting points I see, but I always do them as everyone on her usually does, 40 degree in the machine with non bio then extra spin just to get the excess water out of them, a good shake and fluff up the fibres with my finger tips then on a lundary stack up stairs. I never put them in the drier just in case some other fibres from normal clothes gets into the clothes causing lint or loose fibres when using them on the paint.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Demetri (13-02-2018), Soapybubbles (13-02-2018)
Old 13-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Wash them, fluff up and put on airier to dry. No problems
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Soapybubbles (13-02-2018)
Old 13-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #19
huxley309
Washmitt Meister

Wash em non bio, tumble dry low and slow.

Don't have the luxury of drying them outdoors, they'd go missing where I live.
huxley309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #20
Sam534
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Rian View Post
I overcame this by , purchasing more Microfibers and a small swing bin, I only wash about once a month or when the bin is full, I wash all together at 50 degrees with boots sensitive detergent, if realy dirty (wheel and engine they have a pre soak in warm water and APC over night.

Done this for 2 years +

I have researched my method so I know it works and is safe

if your partner/yourself use MF for dusting a cleaning around the home then you would be surprised at how quickly you can accumulate a full load
Yeah I guess that could work! But I wouldn't want damp cloths sitting in a bin for a month, they would smell and get bacteria build up, sure that would be washed out but is a pet peeve of mine.

Sam534 is online now   Reply With Quote