Detailing World Forum banner

Toyota Avensis T27 Tourer Project

398K views 1K replies 82 participants last post by  wrxmania 
#1 · (Edited)
After lots of looking, negotiating with the boss, and various conversations with private sellers, dealers and several visits to the auction, I have bought this as a second car to spread the load from my Lexus GS450h, use for "messier" stuff, work, and for our imminently arriving puppy (tomorrow [emoji106])

Here it is looking at it's best

8 years 10 months old, 10 weeks MOT left, 114,000 miles, superb MOT history but, as a trade in with non dealer history sold at auction, the service book is of course missing but I can see various stickers etc in the car indicating servicing at an independent. It's pretty scruffy in quite a few places, so will need a good amount of work inside and out. I also specifically bought a bottom of the range car, and petrol, to limit costly issues with electronics or diesel stuff - but it's a Toyota so will need to be unlucky for big bills. Also has an exhaust break/blow to, the clutch is high but working fine and the air con is not really cold at all. It has 4 different budget tyres, scrapes and scuffs, is filthy and stinks as it's had dogs in it and ash in the ashtray!

I have many plans for the car but here are some pics to get you started of what lies ahead:

You get the idea [emoji4]

That's some of the worst parts of the car, but other aspects are very good, there is not real bodywork damage and looks like it has never had paint. The paint quality is really excellent metallic and just needs a lot of the TLC it's obviously been missing recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#8 ·
It's actually pretty decent, just a bit unloved. Overall, it's going to pan out fine and will be worth the auction gamble. Other traders were bidding against me so it must have been of some worth to them.

#3 ·
Well its a Toyota so it should be pretty reliable.

A lot of the issues are cosmetic chip repairs or just dirtiness from previous owners - a good deep clean and it'll look and smell a different car.

Hopefully you can get some service history out of Toyota, and then chase the stickered garages / previous owner for info.

#9 ·
Well its a Toyota so it should be pretty reliable.

A lot of the issues are cosmetic chip repairs or just dirtiness from previous owners - a good deep clean and it'll look and smell a different car.

Hopefully you can get some service history out of Toyota, and then chase the stickered garages / previous owner for info.
Got some service history up until it was 4 at Toyota, but all their mileage's are the same 28,100 - include the pre-sale check, warranty work etc!

I am going to try them in person.

#4 ·
I have lots of plans for the car.

Firstly yesterday I took it to a local garage, who had a look underneath for the blow but, as it was on the ground and they had no ramp, inconclusive!

So, back first thing this morning, up in the air and the central pipe has sheared off of the main front cat and it's all one unit. New cat/centre needed, which would cost a fortune, so after more than an hours work on the car, they welded the whole section back into place and made sure it was sitting correctly.

Total cost - £85.

Result!

After much research into the nights,eBay and Amazon plundering, online forums and speaking to people, I have so far bought:

Phone holder (Kenu Airframe + in all the cars)

Genuine tailored Toyota Mats (£49 - should be around £85)

501 LEDS for all the courtesy lights in the car and number plate lights

286 capless bulbs as the cigarette lighter and ashtray light is out so needs that part of the dash stripped

An integrated Bluetooth audio and hands free calling system (the head unit is basically plug and play from the Cd changer port) - dash dismantling for this one too

Also ordered a USB/Aux input extension plate and cable (which goes on Bluetooth unit) to run USB power for my phone to under the dash

New number plates (the cars only ever MOT advisory is for the peeling rear number plate)

Genuine Toyota Gearknob Chrome Top (you can see the mess of the gearknob - it should have print and a chrome trim) - bargain £5.99(should be £16)

Genuine Toyota Cup Holder insert/coin holder - Bargain £8.99 (should be £20)

Managed a bargain, negotiating online for this beast (£200 from Toyota!). I am sending shipping label and a total cost of less than £25!!

I need to now get a centre console lid & inserts as that's missing (and aggravating) - may need to buy the whole console from a scrap place online

I am also going to install a reversing camera as it's enormous!!

Scotch guard for all of the interior once it is cleaned and steam cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and fumigated inside and cleaned etc

It needs a bolt to hold the spare wheel down as that has snapped in it's holder!

Possible others include new steering wheel (leather) as there is a chance cruise control is plug and play on this car!

#6 ·
It’s going to be smart repaired outside for the paint scrapes by a friend of mine once we can get a suitable date/time as he is so busy

It obviously needs a tonne of cleaning and tidying, and getting underneath to rust treat the sub frame but otherwise it’s decent underneath

It’s going in on Tuesday to get a full 99 point inspection, alongside an oil/filter Change, fuel filter, spark plugs (Iridium), coolant flush and change, and engine flush too. Should hopefully come back ready for the road and with a clean bill of health.

Next up - visit to Mr T. for a few bits including air filter, cabin air con filter, spare wheel bolt, touch up paint, and a blank service book to start getting this car back to some history!

I am also going to actually write a letter to the previous owner as his number is nowhere to be searched.

#11 ·
Visited Mr T and bought genuine air and pollen filters for the car (overpriced - surprised as cheaper online from Toyota).

Also ordered a touch up kit, replacement service book and the retaining bolt/cup that holds the spare wheel in place (which was actually cheap!).

The armrest cover was £97 + VAT so he was told to shove that!

#16 ·
Oh excellent - mate had one previously and I must admit, apart from the seats in his, was a very nice car, much prefer the look of the estate version :)

He had leather seats and they weren’t particularly comfy - you kind of sat on them rather than in them with no support. He had a basic model for a loan car once and the seats were much better in cloth :)

Looking forward to the updates :thumb:

#18 ·
Oh excellent - mate had one previously and I must admit, apart from the seats in his, was a very nice car, much prefer the look of the estate version :)

He had leather seats and they weren't particularly comfy - you kind of sat on them rather than in them with no support. He had a basic model for a loan car once and the seats were much better in cloth :)

Looking forward to the updates :thumb:
The seats are actually very comfortable and well supported - was worried they may be like the seats in a Punto etc but actually very good. Drivers one needs some foam on the seat edge to take it to full strength but fabric is fine.

The tourer looks great IMHO, better than a Mondeo tourer, not quite as classy as a Passat. With the seats down, I can easily lie down in the back and so could another person - air bed & Avensis = camping :)

#20 ·
First job today on starting the car at 4pm was changing the filters.

Air filter was fine - here it is in the Toyota bag

HOWEVER, the cabin filter had obviously not been changed in a VERY long time, or ever

Side by side with the new one

Behind the glovebox - gave the inside a clean and inside the fan area.

The fan, which was pretty pathetic, is now like a hurricane!!!

#22 ·
The inside is where the time needs to go first one this car because it is filthy, not been cleaned for ages and smells like a combination of a dogs bed, an abandoned bin and a tramps clothes!

Products of choice were lots of old microfibres, Lidl polishing cloth rolls (from their car range - like paper), AS G101 for everything (around 1:20 dilution), various brushes and some of these as the 5 year old was helping, and in the boot cleaning too!

Started working inside the offside passenger door - some before

Working on the window seals and chrome strips

Looking pretty decent after a bit of work in the door edges, inside parts etc

#23 ·
A quick wipe of the back passenger door with G101 and you get the idea of the potential in the paintwork

Moved onto the boot next, which is like a separate room - and needs a decent amount of work!

Boot seal:

And after

Worked a bit on the boot under trays (there is another level under this and the wheel!)

And some shots of the boot after round 1

Worked on the roof rails and the seals around the front and rear windscreens

Boot looks good after a wipe down with G101

#24 ·
Has a quick wipe down of the engine bay to remove years of dust (no pics) and had a quick go at the rear passenger seat side bolster with the G101.

Before

After

Shows potential. I'll repeat this with the whole inside and the whole car will be steam cleaned too before it is Scotchguarded.