Detailing World Forum banner

ONR first wash for me

56K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  JasonKruys 
#1 ·
Decided to read some info and buy some ONR to try. Like the car been clean -obviously- but when there's just dust on it the idea of dragging the jet wash out, washing and drying it seems over kill

Ordered some ONR on eBay for £22. Can get it cheaper but seems to be out is stock :-/

Bought some over prices sponges too but at least they got delivered to the door!

Here's the before pics, hardly filthy but was goin for a drive with some pals later today and seen as well mine would be the slowest I was dammed if it was guna be the dirtiest too!

Got my 2 buckets together, a spray with ONR in and a drying cloth

Was apprehensive at first but sprayed the roof and then went across in lines with the sponge. Rinse, repeat then dry. And was very happy. Didn't feel like the sponge was dragging and didn't hear no nasty noises

Did the rest of the car and was impressed with the ease and speed.

These are the after shots

Some positives were that there's no water leaking out of shut lines annoying you, if there's a water ban etc then your using next to no water. Must admit my water bill has risen since I got into detailing!

Negatives are the fact that the arches etc are still mucky :-/ not to happy with that!

Overall I'm more than happy. Will be using this more often in summer but wldnt want to use it in winter with a heavy soiled car and when you can't blast out the arches and underneath.

Added some qd and a bit of tyre gel for then finish

Then meet the lads, the amg was clean but the lotus was embarrassing! Till we hit the roads!

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks great - before long you'll realise that 2 buckets is totally unnecessary 90% of the time and the only time you really need a pre-spray is when the cars so dirty you cant tell what colour it is ;)

Did SWMBOs Fiesta in 15 mins last night including wheels, and it looked superb afterwards. Couldnt get all my gear out and away again in that time with the old fashioned style wash!

#9 ·
I've been using a grout sponge for years and its still the best for me - I leave it in ONR solution all the time and its the softest thing ever now!

Many use the Garry Dean method and just use a pile of MFs folded so they only ever use 1 folded section once and then refold until they've dirtied every side and then grab a fresh one. Doesnt work for me though.

If you can find one cheap then Optimums Big Red Sponge is THE best though ;)

#11 ·
I started using this a few years ago, then I ran out of it. So went something else, just recently bought a mahoosive bottle of it and started using it again. The more you use it the easier the car cleans and it seems the less the dirt sticks to it. Also use it as a clay lube and detailing spray.

#13 ·
I'm in California in a few weeks and filling my boots with cheap polish and big red sponges :D Sadly they are far too expensive to get from the Euro importert. You could probably do worse than trying Autogeek US but they have a $100 min order for international orders.

#23 ·
Always nice to stock up and at least sponges are light. With the relatively recent decline of the GBP v US $ it has significantly eaten into savings but certain products are so much cheaper that even parity would make them a good buy. :)

#40 ·
I finally bit the bullet and bought ONR Wash & Wax (Green). After 10 years using Wash & Shine (Blue) I have to say I find it nicer to use. There's not much in it but the finish is nice and slick especially when using Sonax BSD as a drying aid.

I just bought 20 B&Q grout sponges which should last a few years. Cheap as chip and not heart wrenching if you drop it on the wet road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.