Detailing World Forum banner

Serious bodywork damage, thoughts on repair?

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Danl94 
#1 · (Edited)
So my pride and joy has been involved in a collision. As it’s on PCP, the dealer tells me they want it fixed by their own body shop and are suggesting panel replacement on the rear quarter which is very involved.

I spoke with a PDR guy who suggested it was beyond his reach.

What are your thoughts on the best repair for this given the car may be returned at the end of the deal.

#9 ·
What are your thoughts on the best repair for this given the car may be returned at the end of the deal.
My thoughts are that if you go get a cheap bodge done, with plenty of filler, it will be a lovely surprise for the next owner to find.

Lets hope they are not a OCD detailing enthusiast, eh?

Seriously, just get it done properly and lets not return to the days when you had to carry an old motorbike flywheel around with you when shopping for a used car ....

#10 ·
Since you have a PCP deal and consider to hand your car back, I would go with the dealer recommendation to replace a quarter panel.
This is also better for your warranty.
The money you safe now, you will pay at the end, on top of that, repairing a panel that is creased will loose rigidly of the body.
A good repair can be as good or even better as new, and shouldn’t give you too much depreciation.
If you are not guilty (end verdict) try to claim for lost value of the vehicle.

#14 ·
I think what concerns me the most is the need to blend paint etc

It's never going to look factory again...
The PDR would also involve some paint/infilling. I'd rather have the job done properly and a slightly imperfect colour match than a job which may not be up to the task but the colour's right.

If you've no plans to keep the car anyway, just get it done and approach the car from the other side at all times so you don't see it :lol:

#16 ·
People saying it will never look perfect again or I know a guy who's amazing at PDR and then we can finish it with filler etc, ignore.
Go through your insurance and a decent shop will put it back to how it should be without any issue, it's not smart repairable or PDR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.