Detailing World Forum banner

Black paint faded brown

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Clarets 
#1 ·
Hi

New here

I have a black astra coupe I'm struggling with

All the plastics are still black in direct sun (the bumpers, spoiler, handles, trim) but the paint looks brown

Any thoughts? Is this irreparable paint fade?

Your thoughts?

#6 ·
Whilst your car might be black I strongly suspect it's on the red side of black (as opposed to blue) making it appear to be v dark brown.
Painted plastic parts go through a totally different factory painting process to the shell and panels, and they might not even be painted in the same factory - let alone be painted with the same batch of paint.

So the colour of plastic parts may differ from the rest of the car and due to the different manufacturing processes they may fade/retain their colours in different ways.

I don't think the colour of your car has changed ..... either the plastic parts never 100% matched the metal parts (and you've only just noticed) - or the plastic parts are getting darker.

#8 ·
I've just had a black car repainted.

Among other things, I had localised brown patches and the paint shop said that it was a reaction of the underlying original paint to a rattle can (or other formulation) paint spray-over. Do you know if the car has been repaired/had a localised respray?

Peter

#9 ·
Thanks for the replys

I haven't got any fallout remover but I can't seem the whole car being affected. But I may be wrong

As for respray? I couldn't say without measuring the paint depth

I wouldn't have thought it's been resprayed though. No evidence of it.

It does seem strange though.

When it's in normal light it looks beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.