Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #641
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 1,055
Thanked 1,519 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
No bad thing that prices are no longer surging way ahead of peoples ability to afford them. Too much speculative money pushing up London prices and it is time the bubble was deflated.
Ironically, if the pound tanks, property will simply become even more attractive to canny foreign investors as it looks ever cheaper denominated in dinars, ringgits, HK$, roubles or whatever.

The fundamental problem is the bad economics of having Green Belts around the areas with the biggest demand which artificially restricts supply and demand then pushes the prices up.

It probably is time for a land tax...

P
Fentum is offline  
Old 18-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #642
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
suds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Ynys Mon
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 683
Thanked 706 Times in 534 Posts
Garage
"suds but being a poodle of the usa and the fist one to jump when the usa whistles makes you pretty comfortable right?

Seriously mate put first things in perspective, prioritise the issues and then make an informed decision about the things you will need to worry about.

FYI the EU was number 14 in the priority list of the average brit."

Dimitri you know very well your comment has nothing to do with UK being in or out of EU - reference 3 PMs back, a well known ex PM remainer was labeled Bush jnr's 'poodle' during the Iraq crisis. Maybe it's time you looked at things more dispassionately - your glass is always half empty

Last edited by suds; 18-10-2018 at 11:27 PM.
suds is offline  
Old 18-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #643
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
suds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Ynys Mon
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 683
Thanked 706 Times in 534 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post

It probably is time for a land tax...

P
Unfortunately Fenters a land tax will just make it even more expensive to live in London and any other successful city ,- you been having lunch with John McDonnell?

Last edited by suds; 18-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.
suds is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suds For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (23-10-2018), Fentum (23-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #644
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 3,573
Thanks: 475
Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Ironically, if the pound tanks, property will simply become even more attractive to canny foreign investors as it looks ever cheaper denominated in dinars, ringgits, HK$, roubles or whatever.

The fundamental problem is the bad economics of having Green Belts around the areas with the biggest demand which artificially restricts supply and demand then pushes the prices up.

It probably is time for a land tax...

P
Agree with your point about devaluation of the currency attracting foreign buyers, however there is also a huge amount of UK speculation via property funds and BTL. Disagree with Green belt point though, there is enough development land available without encroaching onto green belts. We need to face the facts that private supply will not be able to provide the number of houses required, and Local Authorities need to be given additional freedoms and funds to embark on a massive programme of construction of social housing.
fatdazza is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fatdazza For This Useful Post:
Fentum (19-10-2018)
Old 18-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #645
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
suds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Ynys Mon
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 683
Thanked 706 Times in 534 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
Agree with your point about devaluation of the currency attracting foreign buyers, however there is also a huge amount of UK speculation via property funds and BTL. Disagree with Green belt point though, there is enough development land available without encroaching onto green belts. We need to face the facts that private supply will not be able to provide the number of houses required, and Local Authorities need to be given additional freedoms and funds to embark on a massive programme of construction of social housing.
Government announced 'freedoms' recently Das, are they sufficient? I don't know but I've not heard any news from LAs or HAs announcing any firm intensions for massive building plans - then there are the NIMBYs of course. Brown field sites generally cost more to build on because extra preparation is required, I'm unaware of any government subsidies to assist? Oooh maybe Boris will use what's left over from the £350m weekly windfall

Last edited by suds; 19-10-2018 at 06:41 PM.
suds is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to suds For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (23-10-2018)
Old 22-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #646
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
suds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Ynys Mon
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 683
Thanked 706 Times in 534 Posts
Garage
TM says 95%. Agreed - be nice to know what exactly has been agreed don't you think
suds is offline  
Old 22-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #647
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stamford Lincs
Posts: 6,045
Thanks: 3,336
Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,119 Posts
probably means we have agreed to some form of lube, do the turks make lube ?
SteveTDCi is offline  
Old 22-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #648
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
suds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Ynys Mon
Posts: 1,770
Thanks: 683
Thanked 706 Times in 534 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
probably means we have agreed to some form of lube, do the turks make lube ?
Think so, I think they just leave the rose petal water out
suds is offline  
Old 23-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #649
should_do_more
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
should_do_more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 918
Thanks: 170
Thanked 409 Times in 323 Posts
I saw a Brexit headline yesterday that said the NI residents can pick a British or Irish passport or both. That’s not good in terms of the union. Sleep walking into a split, which is ok if everyone wants to go their separate ways (remember Scotland said no but still wants a repeat vote, sounds familiar...).

What are your thoughts on that?
should_do_more is offline  
Old 23-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #650
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 1,055
Thanked 1,519 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by should_do_more View Post
I saw a Brexit headline yesterday that said the NI residents can pick a British or Irish passport or both. That’s not good in terms of the union. Sleep walking into a split, which is ok if everyone wants to go their separate ways (remember Scotland said no but still wants a repeat vote, sounds familiar...).

What are your thoughts on that?
I'm ambivalent about dual nationality but I don't think this is a Brexit issue per se; I think (but am open to correction) that people born in NI have had that choice for as long as the Republic has existed. As has anybody with at least one Irish grandparent IIRC.

Hence the massive rise in applications from UK citizens for an Irish passport and the large number of Americans and Australians living and working in the UK visa-free.

Peter
Fentum is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors